• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look amazing!

I have been inspired by the posts here to get some shell moccasins, but I can only find shell in the oxford/derby and boot sections on the website. Do you have to call and plan shell mocs over the phone? I have read about the customization tool (would love to pair with an RLH sole) in the past but appears to be gone at this time.
Just email.
Yes, either call or email. I like to call since there are lots of options and choices they're more likely to cover on the phone. Their customizations are awesome.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Do you like the mini lug 232 soles better than the RLH soles?
I am experimenting. The Aspen RLH soles on my Baxter Ranger Mocs are slippery on smooth wet surfaces like concrete.
Other than that, they are sublime in their comfort. I thought I would try the 232's and see how they compare. They are indeed comfortable but not as soft as the RLH. In the end, the selection you make will depend upon where and when you plan on wearing the shoes.
I think the 232's are more versatile and stable compared to the Aspen's

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of Rancourt. Just loafing around.
C8FDB149-AF12-42DF-8EF7-535B8A84F619.jpeg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are great! Give us a little background. I have a pair branded as Bass in olive CXL by Rancourt. Yours are similar but are a full-strap beef roll. Really cool!
View attachment 1645620
Thank you Sir, looking good yourself! Mine seem to be the Ralph Lauren Edric. Looks to be a colour they no longer offer. I’m quite happy with them. The full strap is what made me pull the trigger.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir, looking good yourself! Mine seem to be the Ralph Lauren Edric. Looks to be a colour they no longer offer. I’m quite happy with them. The full strap is what made me pull the trigger.
Nice score! This olive CXL is unique. I've grown to really appreciate it.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on loafer vamp length? Here's a rough comparison of six pairs of handsewns:

PXL_20210801_162345830.MP.jpg

From left to right, it's
  • Rancourt Rangeley mocs
  • Rancourt camp mocs
  • Rancourt camp mocs
  • Sebago penny loafers (I think Highland)
  • Quoddy True Penny Loafers
  • Quoddy Venetian loafers
Out of them all, the Rangeley have the shortest vamps, followed by the Quoddy mocs, and I think I prefer it that way. For the Rangeleys in particular, the lace is more comfortable than in the camp mocs where it sits closer to the bridge of the foot and can create a nasty pressure point.

What do others like, longer or shorter vamp? I don't think I'd go as short as women's styles (Rancourt):
somerset-brown_1000x.jpg

but I'm not 100% sure that I wouldn't.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'm trying to pick a casual and flexible, yet durable, moccasin sole. Can anyone provide feedback for extended wear of Reltex Lactae Hevea soles v. Chromepak moccasin "wrap" soles v. driving moc rubber dot soles?

NonChalant321

Reaction score
So I received a pair of shell cordovan pinch penny loafers the Rancourt folks were kind enough to let me try on (after I went through a made-to-fit mishap where I printed it to wrong scale). This is the 8.5E. I don't feel slip when I wear dress socks, but I do with anything thinner (or barefoot). Is it normal to have that gap between the shoe and along the outside of my foot. It's not uncomfortable, but it seems like it should feel tapered. The toe box feels fine. The vamp across the strap is tight where the first joints of my big toes are (you can see the slight hump in the pic). Any advice would be appreciated - debating if I should go down to 8.5D and risk a tight toe box.

Attachments

• 20210803_124029a.jpg
    20210803_124029a.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Inked20210803_124049_LIa.jpg
    Inked20210803_124049_LIa.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 103

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I would ask Rancourt to ship you an 8.5D. Then you can see how those fit for you. They have a program that lets you try on a few sizes and I did it when I was first looking to order my custom boat shoes. Trying out is always the best way.

Those do look a pidge wide on you, but candidly the Penny Pinch Loafers for me are generally pretty wide in the back on me as well.

Sometimes a last just isn’t cut for your foot. I know a good number have problems with Alden’s Aberdeen Last for example as it is very narrow and shaped like an ‘A’. You could see if they have a different last that is not as wide in the middle and back that they can make the Penny Pinch around.

Thanks,
Mike

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I would ask Rancourt to ship you an 8.5D. Then you can see how those fit for you. They have a program that lets you try on a few sizes and I did it when I was first looking to order my custom boat shoes. Trying out is always the best way.

Those do look a pidge wide on you, but candidly the Penny Pinch Loafers for me are generally pretty wide in the back on me as well.

Sometimes a last just isn’t cut for your foot. I know a good number have problems with Alden’s Aberdeen Last for example as it is very narrow and shaped like an ‘A’. You could see if they have a different last that is not as wide in the middle and back that they can make the Penny Pinch around.

Thanks,
Mike

I ended up speaking with the good folks over at Rancourt and went with the 8.5E - decided I'd rather err on the side of a more room in the toebox than too narrow. Mike - i have to say your blog lead to some inspiration to the extent I requested a few of your customizations. Also ended up going with vibram 430 mini lug, as recommended by another poster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads