• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Luscombe

Reaction score
Rangers-We don't get enough love for the basic Rangers on this site so here goes!

These are my Crowdfunded Rangers in Natty CXL. They are downsized 1/2 from Brannock to 10.5B for sockless wear. The fit is perfect and in spite of the hard sole, the fit is remarkably comfortable due to the secret insert. See the last 2 photos for the secret. The secret sauce

These are one of my most comfortable and favorite pairs of Rancourt's.
I found a good deal on an 11B Ranger on Evilbay and bought those but must wear with socks to keep them snug.

Ranger 1.jpg
20210612_092557.jpg
20210612_092624.jpg
20210612_092736.jpg
20210612_092746.jpg

Luscombe

Reaction score
MTO'd camp Mocs in Shinki "Cognac" Horse Butt. Really pleased with how these turned out and they're super comfortable...makes me think shell camp Mocs might be in my future as well.

Happy Sunday folks

View attachment 1624188 View attachment 1624189
Those look fantastic and I bet they wear that way too.
If I may ask, where did you source the leather?
I am looking to have a pair of Acadia's made in horse butt and am having trouble finding a source.

Maverick leather is currently out of most horse hide options.

Ramblin

Reaction score
Those look fantastic and I bet they wear that way too.
If I may ask, where did you source the leather?
I am looking to have a pair of Acadia's made in horse butt and am having trouble finding a source.

Maverick leather is currently out of most horse hide options.

Thanks! And yes, really comfortable on feet. I got the hide from"Rocky Mountain Leather". Would definitely recommend, they were very easy to work with.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Thanks! And yes, really comfortable on feet. I got the hide from"Rocky Mountain Leather". Would definitely recommend, they were very easy to work with.
Looking at their site now. Did you order a full side or did they sell you the approximate footage you needed?
Also, what weight did you get and were your shoes lined? All I see on their site is 3.0oz.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Hi everyone- I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on my first rancourt (and first shell). Had a custom pinch penny in mind - either in espresso or #8. Is one more versatile than the other? I'm leaning towards espresso as it seems intriguing. I'm used to wearing more cool tones but wanting to branch out to a do-it-all penny.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on my first rancourt (and first shell). Had a custom pinch penny in mind - either in espresso or #8. Is one more versatile than the other? I'm leaning towards espresso as it seems intriguing. I'm used to wearing more cool tones but wanting to branch out to a do-it-all penny.
I would go with what intrigues you rather than what's 'versatile'.

On that question though - People on these forums generally fall over themselves to hold up burgundy as the pinnacle of shoe versatility, but I just don't see it. Unless you're going to be wearing a lot of gray pants, I think a nice dark brown beats it.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Ok I think it's the one on the right. I do really the one on the left though - navy, is it?

Edit: All 3 are awesome. I see why it's hard to stop at just 1.

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score

I would figure out my size before going shell.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I would figure out my size before going shell.

That is actually one of my biggest concerns before dropping the cash. I used their sizing guide and it came out to length 9.5 and width 9W (E). Whenever I have fit issues with shoes, its almost always because they feel tight in width at the toes (pinching my little toe), and occasionally tight at the top. I'm hoping that made to fit program will help nail this down, but I'm not sure how much to account for shell stretch. I see lots of reviews saying how chromexcel will definitely stretch.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
That is actually one of my biggest concerns before dropping the cash. I used their sizing guide and it came out to length 9.5 and width 9W (E). Whenever I have fit issues with shoes, its almost always because they feel tight in width at the toes (pinching my little toe), and occasionally tight at the top. I'm hoping that made to fit program will help nail this down, but I'm not sure how much to account for shell stretch. I see lots of reviews saying how chromexcel will definitely stretch.

It’s safest to assume that the shell won’t stretch.

Loafer fit is tricky, and factors other than length and width are important.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
It’s safest to assume that the shell won’t stretch.

Loafer fit is tricky, and factors other than length and width are important.

Any tips?

I currently wear penny loafers and have been for a while, but they're just Boss Bront ones from Bloomingdale Outlet. Not the most preferred option in this community but just been so comfortable for the past 8 years of wear. I dont expect fit to be anything similar as Rancourts. I had Ferragamo loafers many years ago but barely wore them since they felt uncomfortably narrow at E.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads