• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

JDKing

Reaction score
Those green shell boots are awesome! Do you have any photos of how they developed with age?

Double green shell
I love Rancourt. Kyle is a great guy to deal with!

Luscombe

Reaction score
It took 4 months and 4 days from the time I ordered these to actually get them. They arrived today.

These are Byron boots in Flint Kudu, part of the last Crowdfund campaign. They are my first machine-sewn Rancourts. I think the quality is superb and the fit is spot on, TTS. I measure 11B on the Brannock and that is what I ordered. They are pretty comfy right out of the box and I think will get better as they break-in.

These will be my fall, winter and spring boots. I think the Kudu is waterproof, if not I will spray it.
I feel much better now about the Knox boots on the current crowdfunding that I ordered in 11B.

Both the Byron and Knox boots seem worth the retail price and for sure are a great deal at crowdfunding prices. If you don't have a pair, you should get a pair!

20210610_180056.jpg
20210610_175957.jpg
20210610_175951.jpg
20210610_175944.jpg

Canadianguy

Reaction score
It took 4 months and 4 days from the time I ordered these to actually get them. They arrived today.

These are Byron boots in Flint Kudu, part of the last Crowdfund campaign. They are my first machine-sewn Rancourts. I think the quality is superb and the fit is spot on, TTS. I measure 11B on the Brannock and that is what I ordered. They are pretty comfy right out of the box and I think will get better as they break-in.

These will be my fall, winter and spring boots. I think the Kudu is waterproof, if not I will spray it.
I feel much better now about the Knox boots on the current crowdfunding that I ordered in 11B.

Both the Byron and Knox boots seem worth the retail price and for sure are a great deal at crowdfunding prices. If you don't have a pair, you should get a pair!

View attachment 1622892 View attachment 1622893 View attachment 1622894 View attachment 1622895

Looks like they were worth the wait!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 1622892 View attachment 1622893 View attachment 1622894 View attachment 1622895

those are superb and hope that you enjoy them for years to come!

-Mike

Luscombe

Reaction score
those are superb and hope that you enjoy them for years to come!

-Mike
Thanks, Mike!
Yeah, I wore them around the house last night and they are really comfy. I think they will fit right into the rotation :).
This makes me excited for the Knox Boot Crowdfunding order I placed.

I also have a custom MTO being made right now and will share photos when they arrive. These will be right up your alley!

BAK

Reaction score
Pulled these from the back of the closet - seemed perfect for a cool, late spring Maine evening. The Rangeley Chukka - fully lined chromexcel with handsewn vamp and chromepak wrap sole, with foam cushion midsole. So comfy. Have a good weekend.

IMG_6365.jpg

mscb

Reaction score
Does Rancourt offer replacement laces for ranger mocs?
Any suggestions where do get some that match originals?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Pulled these from the back of the closet - seemed perfect for a cool, late spring Maine evening. The Rangeley Chukka - fully lined chromexcel with handsewn vamp and chromepak wrap sole, with foam cushion midsole. So comfy. Have a good weekend.

View attachment 1623448

Those are awesome! Never seen that model before... Could I ask a question about rancourts chromepak sole? I have a pair of quoddy bluchers on their chromepak sole and, to be honest, I don't really like the sole. I find it lacks sufficient support / structure and feels too flat heel to ball.

Do you get the same type of feeling about your pair? Or are they closer in feel to a more conventional sole?

BAK

Reaction score
Those are awesome! Never seen that model before... Could I ask a question about rancourts chromepak sole? I have a pair of quoddy bluchers on their chromepak sole and, to be honest, I don't really like the sole. I find it lacks sufficient support / structure and feels too flat heel to ball.

Do you get the same type of feeling about your pair? Or are they closer in feel to a more conventional sole?
Well... a true wrapped-leather sole moccasin at its core has no real support or structure, and no heel, so it would/should indeed feel flat heel to ball (no heel to toe drop as in a traditional shoe). That being said, I find this Rancourt chukka feels substantial for a moccasin and has an incredible amount of cushion beneath the foot (but not like a conventional sole).

This shoe is put together unlike any of their others, in that they essentially take a fully constructed moccasin which already has a bottom to it (as any simple moccasin would - think of the most basic slipper moc) and then they handsew the chromepak sole to the original moccasin. And they sandwich a substantial amount of foam cushioning between the chromepak outsole and the bottom of the original moccasin, hence all that great cushioning I mentioned. I don't know if Quoddy's version has all that cushioning, but without it I would imagine this construction would feel much like the experience you described, so possibly Quoddy does not have the foam, or perhaps much less of it.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Well... a true wrapped-leather sole moccasin at its core has no real support or structure, and no heel, so it would/should indeed feel flat heel to ball (no heel to toe drop as in a traditional shoe). That being said, I find this Rancourt chukka feels substantial for a moccasin and has an incredible amount of cushion beneath the foot (but not like a conventional sole).

This shoe is put together unlike any of their others, in that they essentially take a fully constructed moccasin which already has a bottom to it (as any simple moccasin would - think of the most basic slipper moc) and then they handsew the chromepak sole to the original moccasin. And they sandwich a substantial amount of foam cushioning between the chromepak outsole and the bottom of the original moccasin, hence all that great cushioning I mentioned. I don't know if Quoddy's version has all that cushioning, but without it I would imagine this construction would feel much like the experience you described, so possibly Quoddy does not have the foam, or perhaps much less of it.

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. It sounds like Rancourt's version is more substantial but not entirely dissimilar. I don't think Quoddy has the foam layer that you described, or as you noted perhaps a thin layer.

BAK

Reaction score
Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. It sounds like Rancourt's version is more substantial but not entirely dissimilar. I don't think Quoddy has the foam layer that you described, or as you noted perhaps a thin layer.
I can say that while I don't wear these chukkas often, every time I do pull them out and put them on I think to myself "these feel incredible". I don't wear them for long periods of time or walk long distances but for general home and around town use they're very comfy. Only caveat I'd offer is if a guy is sensitive to the "top of chukka boot hitting the ankle in the wrong spot" then these have a high probability of doing that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads