• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

BAK

Reaction score
I want the Baxter to be all about comfort.

Penny Pinch = sometimes thin socks, sometimes no socks.
Baxter = socks all the time of different thicknesses depending on season (so I am assuming a 10D)

Sherman = my wife says: How many of those same shoes do you need?
Sounds like 10D is the way to go. If you try it on and it feels big of course exchange it. If it feels generally comfortably snug then you should be good.

Can't argue with your wife's assessment - not sure how many camp mocs a man needs, however I would say you'll get a higher level of softness/comfort with the Sherman, because of the leather and sole combo. Sherman will be a slightly heavier shoe than Gilman, if that matters.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I want the Baxter to be all about comfort.

Penny Pinch = sometimes thin socks, sometimes no socks.
Baxter = socks all the time of different thicknesses depending on season (so I am assuming a 10D)

Sherman = my wife says: How many of those same shoes do you need?
My wife and I don't do that anymore. She has way more shoes than me so I have some leverage. Only problem is, her shoes are around $50 a pair so.......

For a Ranger moc, I would suggest you go with your Brannock length in the D width. You can expect them to stretch a size in the width. I like my shoes tight. I have purchased the Rangers CXL 1/2 size down in length and can only wear them for a few hours before my feet begin to hurt, even with a very thin and flexible sole. Now, I order full Brannock length only. Once they stretch and become loose, I have to add tongue pads and/or tongue kilties and a cushion insert to keep them tight.

Also, the Aspen soles are sublime but slippery on wet surfaces, just be careful. My Aspen Baxters are the most comfortable shoes that I own, you will not be disappointed.

I picked up a Rancourt belt when they went on sale last year and they are exceptional, highly recommended.

The bison leather is fantastic. I have a pair of Clymer 2 boots in bison, they are super comfy, instant break in. I liked the leather so much that I ordered a pair of Acadias in the Toast Rushmore Bison. They are scheduled to ship mid-April. The Bison leather is very soft and supple. It is a bit thicker than the CXL. If you like the looks, it is a great leather.

So many choices.........................

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My wife and I don't do that anymore. She has way more shoes than me so I have some leverage. Only problem is, her shoes are around $50 a pair so.......

For a Ranger moc, I would suggest you go with your Brannock length in the D width. You can expect them to stretch a size in the width. I like my shoes tight. I have purchased the Rangers CXL 1/2 size down in length and can only wear them for a few hours before my feet begin to hurt, even with a very thin and flexible sole. Now, I order full Brannock length only. Once they stretch and become loose, I have to add tongue pads and/or tongue kilties and a cushion insert to keep them tight.

Also, the Aspen soles are sublime but slippery on wet surfaces, just be careful. My Aspen Baxters are the most comfortable shoes that I own, you will not be disappointed.

I picked up a Rancourt belt when they went on sale last year and they are exceptional, highly recommended.

The bison leather is fantastic. I have a pair of Clymer 2 boots in bison, they are super comfy, instant break in. I liked the leather so much that I ordered a pair of Acadias in the Toast Rushmore Bison. They are scheduled to ship mid-April. The Bison leather is very soft and supple. It is a bit thicker than the CXL. If you like the looks, it is a great leather.

So many choices.........................

She may roll her eyes and make silly comments but it is all in good fun because she really does not care. We are very lucky that we made a choice to be DINKS more than 20 years ago, have known each other for 30 years, and still really like one another. She has a 60+ pair collection and her favorites are Ferragamo and Manolo.

I appreciate your feedback and went through posts starting at page 600 during the past few days and followed your fit journey. I focused on many people's comments, including yours, that focused on fit and comfort.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping you can help me out here and tell me if my issue with my loafers is worth contacting Rancourt over, or if what I’m seeing is normal wear and tear.

I got a pair of beefrolls during the first round of crowdfunding last year and got them in October. Wore them about 5 times or so for maybe an hour or two at a time then put away for winter. Pulled them out yesterday and noticed one shoe had considerable wrinkling (not going to label it anything else because I’m not super well versed in leather terms). If I press down on the heavy wrinkles around the toe, it leaves an indent. I know creasing is normal but this seems to be verging on cracking—and very early in the shoe’s life. Thanks for any thoughts!

These are 100% A-OK. The loose grain is typoical of CXL and its really a lottery how much, if any, you get on a pair. My recent pair of ranger mocs have one perfect vamp and one very loose grain vamp- not pleasing but for $150 i really dont mind. The downside of loose grain is you dont really notice it until you've put a few wears on the shoes. They look great and will take care of you for years.
IMG_0701.jpg

Luscombe

Reaction score
These are 100% A-OK. The loose grain is typoical of CXL and its really a lottery how much, if any, you get on a pair. My recent pair of ranger mocs have one perfect vamp and one very loose grain vamp- not pleasing but for $150 i really dont mind. The downside of loose grain is you dont really notice it until you've put a few wears on the shoes. They look great and will take care of you for years.
View attachment 1586467
Those are gloves right there! Nice!

Luscombe

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback and went through posts starting at page 600 during the past few days and followed your fit journey. I focused on many people's comments, including yours, that focused on fit and comfort.

My journey to find well fitting and comfortable shoes has been long and is still progressing. Doing it via mail order and custom shoe prices makes it a bit more challenging. Over all, I have found that the Rancourt line fits me the best of any brand so far. It does take a while to get dialed in and your styles are limited. I like the fact that they are classics, made in USA and most of all, comfortable.

For other applications, I do have a couple pairs of Whites. Dialing in those has been more difficult.

I do love me my Rancourts!

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are gloves right there! Nice!

Thanks! My first ranger and I love the fit and the simple camp sole. Still haven’t decided between a loafer or ranger for my next commission.

I love boots as much as the next guy but spring summer is very much loafer and handswen season. I’m growing my hand sewn collection given how well they work for my feet and a big plus is unlined shell is amazingly comfortable.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the apparent minority that doesn't like a glove(mitten)-like* fit in footwear, including handsewns. I'm totally fine with a little sloppiness as long as my toes can move around!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm in the apparent minority that doesn't like a glove(mitten)-like* fit in footwear, including handsewns. I'm totally fine with a little sloppiness as long as my toes can move around!

I think, it depends. For my lined and laced shoes, I DO NOT want my toes to be snug, squished, or have the shoes fit like a glove so I choose a roomy toe box. In unlined slippers, moccasins, or other non-laced shoes they give me more than enough room, or movement once the leather is broken-in, that they work well for my toes because if they fit like my lined and laced shoes they would be too big and I would simply walk out of them.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not everyone has as much of a choice on whether to go more snug in the toes or a bit more loose. Some of the suede pairs of Rancourt loafers I’ve owned I could walk right out of even with double tongue pads and insoles.

I’ve followed the standard 1/2 size down up a width sizing advice on AE’s 65 last and I ended up with shoes that were too loose with the laces fully closed. 1/2 down and standard width was much better for me.

I’m not saying I prefer my shoes to be as tight as possible, but I also don’t want the quarters to be overlapping just to try to get a decent fit. Finding compatible lasts and patterns goes a long way, of course. I’ve yet to try Rancourt handsewns TTS. Based on my experience 1/2 down I’ve felt that the quarters might touch right out of the box if I went TTS. Which would only get worse with time. Sure I could solve that with insoles, tongue pads, kitties, etc. but avoiding that headache is preferable to me.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Awesome shoes! I love that Bison, my favorite color and the Acadias are very comfortable, more so than I originally thought.

For the record, you can get them from Rancourt if you need a size not provided by Huckberry. Huckberry usually limit their runs to D width. They are considered a custom order.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they would be too big and I would simply walk out of them.
Some of the suede pairs of Rancourt loafers I’ve owned I could walk right out of even with double tongue pads and insoles.
I'm lucky that I've never had this problem! Something about my foot shape and gait pattern maybe, but my heels lock in pretty well even in looser handsewns.

mscb

Reaction score
How does the bison leather compare to the chromexcel on the acadias?

Luscombe

Reaction score
How does the bison leather compare to the chromexcel on the acadias?
The CXL is more flexible and compliant. It feels more hard on the surface.
The bison is thicker, softer and more supple. It doesn't have the impregnated oils in it like the CXL so it is not a pull up leather. Just soft, thick and supple.
Two very different characteristics where neither is better, just different.

I have a pair of Acadias in CXL that are one of my most comfortable pairs. Very light weight and flexible. I also have a pair of Acadias in Bison that are 1/2 size too small. They are heavier and the Bison is thicker. I don't wear them much because they hurt my arches. I like the Acadias and the Bison so much I have ordered a pair of correct sized Acadias in the toast rushmore bison.

I don't think you can go wrong with that leather on any of the Rancourt shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads