• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Luscombe

Reaction score
NSFW Photos

In late 2019 I bought a MTO Downeast Moc with a crepe RLH heel. Based upon advise from Kyle and how my CXL Rangers stretched, we downsized these 1/2 size. They have been uncomfortable since I first received them. I even sent them back and had Kyle stretch them. I could only wear them for a couple hours before my feet would start to hurt. In the past I have experienced this when downsizing 1/2 on highly structured soles/shoes. These are just a thicker leather and a rubber sole. Bottom line, for me the shoes were just unwearable. When I walked, I felt like the heel on the sole was bouncing my gait and flexing my foot and calve muscle.

I like everything about the leather, so much so, I had Rancourt price up another MTO for me before they run out of the Virginia natural leather. Their latest website update no longer has that leather as an offering.

After a lot of thought, I decided to do some surgery on my existing shoes before pulling the trigger on another pair. I took my band saw and cut the heel off so that I would end up with more of a camp sole.

WOW, what a difference in how the shoes feel now. Removing the heel changed my gait and the shoes feel like my Baxter Mocs with the Aspen sole. The advantage here is these should not be as slippery. I know the heel area will not last long but at least I know what style of sole to put back on when it wears out.

Attachments

• 20210228_123547.jpg
    20210228_123547.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210228_123553.jpg
    20210228_123553.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DE 4wks 4.jpg
    DE 4wks 4.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 119

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NSFW Photos

In late 2019 I bought a MTO Downeast Moc with a crepe RLH heel. Based upon advise from Kyle and how my CXL Rangers stretched, we downsized these 1/2 size. They have been uncomfortable since I first received them. I even sent them back and had Kyle stretch them. I could only wear them for a couple hours before my feet would start to hurt. In the past I have experienced this when downsizing 1/2 on highly structured soles/shoes. These are just a thicker leather and a rubber sole. Bottom line, for me the shoes were just unwearable. When I walked, I felt like the heel on the sole was bouncing my gait and flexing my foot and calve muscle.

I like everything about the leather, so much so, I had Rancourt price up another MTO for me before they run out of the Virginia natural leather. Their latest website update no longer has that leather as an offering.

After a lot of thought, I decided to do some surgery on my existing shoes before pulling the trigger on another pair. I took my band saw and cut the heel off so that I would end up with more of a camp sole.

WOW, what a difference in how the shoes feel now. Removing the heel changed my gait and the shoes feel like my Baxter Mocs with the Aspen sole. The advantage here is these should not be as slippery. I know the heel area will not last long but at least I know what style of sole to put back on when it wears out.

Details on the bandsaw?

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Rancourt doing custom/MTO builds at this time? It looks like the "build your own" tool is not available on their site. Also, to prevent sticker shock - is there a standard custom build fee? What about simple sole swaps. I think a pair of loafers will be in my summer future.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is Rancourt doing custom/MTO builds at this time? It looks like the "build your own" tool is not available on their site. Also, to prevent sticker shock - is there a standard custom build fee? What about simple sole swaps. I think a pair of loafers will be in my summer future.

They have not been communicating poorly regarding what people should do about custom orders since the new website launched but this was posted on IG a few days ago.

1614654255680.png

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
They have not been communicating poorly regarding what people should do about custom orders since the new website launched but this was posted on IG a few days ago.

View attachment 1565406

I talked to Scott at the factory about two weeks back. They are definitely still doing MTOs and I have two new custom Shells in the process. They are trying to improve the options that are available on the MTO page, to demonstrate even more of the options one can consider, but that is quite an undertaking as they have a ton of options. Everything from materials to eyelet sizes. Don’t know how much they are going to get on their site, but their intention is to definitely increase it.

Cheers,
Mike

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to Scott at the factory about two weeks back. They are definitely still doing MTOs and I have two new custom Shells in the process. They are trying to improve the options that are available on the MTO page, to demonstrate even more of the options one can consider, but that is quite an undertaking as they have a ton of options. Everything from materials to eyelet sizes. Don’t know how much they are going to get on their site, but their intention is to definitely increase it.

Cheers,
Mike
New custom shell colors??!? How enticing!

Not sure if that's good news or bad new$...

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if my questions are approaching annoying, I'm just trying to dial down my order.

I'm looking at shell color #8 loafers - leaning pinch penny, but considering beefroll. I'd be wearing these with and without socks with jeans and chinos, occasionally shorts? I'm a pants guy. Not sure if pinch pennies would be too "formal" for a early-thirties dude.

I'd likely change the sole from the leather to either the Vibram 232 in black with a brown midsole, but would be interested in the Reltex Ranger (brown) or Rally/Country (not sure what those would look like on a loafer). I'd like to have the ridges on the midsole, I thought it was called fudging, but Rancourt didn't recognize that term. Any thoughts on what the real term for that is or how it changes the formality of the loafers?

Any other common requests on a custom order apart from outsole type/color and midsole color? Thanks again.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if my questions are approaching annoying, I'm just trying to dial down my order.

I'm looking at shell color #8 loafers - leaning pinch penny, but considering beefroll. I'd be wearing these with and without socks with jeans and chinos, occasionally shorts? I'm a pants guy. Not sure if pinch pennies would be too "formal" for a early-thirties dude.

I'd likely change the sole from the leather to either the Vibram 232 in black with a brown midsole, but would be interested in the Reltex Ranger (brown) or Rally/Country (not sure what those would look like on a loafer). I'd like to have the ridges on the midsole, I thought it was called fudging, but Rancourt didn't recognize that term. Any thoughts on what the real term for that is or how it changes the formality of the loafers?

Any other common requests on a custom order apart from outsole type/color and midsole color? Thanks again.
The other term is wheeling
C4B8CBE1-B7AF-47EA-A84A-74406DA71CBC.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

They call it the wheeled welt vice fudging. It’s the actual welt that they use vice a plain welt.

You can pretty much change anything that you can think of from stitching color to the color of the insole. Lined versus Unlined. Go nuts and have fun!

-Mike

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a fellow early 30 something, I’d highly recommend either pinch or beefroll for even the most casual outfits. I wear mine with everything minus sweats.

I bought my color 8 beef rolls at 26 and some coworkers happily referred to them as “your grandpas”. Badge of honor, IMO :lol:

E569348C-DCE4-4BE0-AB4E-A04810A06FE2.jpeg
C46F6839-4C85-4032-8AAE-05C4E0443353.jpeg

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020: The Unforgettable Forgettable Year

By almost any measure, 2020 was one of the worst years that I can think of in my lifetime. A wise colleague of mine always says “never waste a good crisis”. Hopefully we all learned a little bit about ourselves this past year and what we value the most.

From an Rancourt perspective, this turned out to be a great year… I added two more Color #4 Boots, found another pair of my favorite Natural Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafers, ordered an amazing Beef Roll Loafer and found a Navy one on eBay. And had a blast making the coolest MTO that I have every done with my Reverse Black Shell Cordovan Boat Shoes.

Also, due to the global pandemic and really my inability to use my old photography setup, I created a whole new set which I truly believe showcases my pairs like never before, helping their full glory to be demonstrated.

These are the shoes and the order in which I received them this year...
  • Rancourt x Ralph Lauren Natural Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafer
  • Rancourt Color #4 Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boot
  • Rancourt Color #4 Shell Cordovan Caribou Boot
  • Rancourt Reverse Black Shell Cordovan Boat Shoes
  • Rancourt Navy Shell Cordovan Beef Roll Loafers
  • Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beef Roll Loafers

View attachment 1526875

View attachment 1526876

Also posted on my blog with the Aldens, Vibergs, and an AE that I got this year as well.
http://aldenofsandiego.com/2020-the-unforgettable-forgettable-year/

-Mike

Catching up on old posts but my lord are those natural beefrolls amazing. Always liked the pinking detail... might need to rip these off if i dont get a ranger :)

I noticed the navy beefrolls dont have the fudged midsole. Did rancourt run out or was this intentional?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Catching up on old posts but my lord are those natural beefrolls amazing. Always liked the pinking detail... might need to rip these off if i dont get a ranger :)

I noticed the navy beefrolls dont have the fudged midsole. Did rancourt run out or was this intentional?

Thanks much KPDarb, always better to be late than never!!! The Pinking really is a nice detail! The wheeling/fudging is still an option on the welt. They call it the Wheeled Welt. It is a little thicker than their Flat welt, so if combining it to a model with a mid-sole, it can be rather thick. I actually bought those Navy Beefrolls used off of eBay for quite a deal. Thus I was unable to customize them. If I ever decide or need to resole them, I would definitely go with their wheeled welt. Thanks!

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads