• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Luscombe

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am thinking about a shell ranger and on the fence regarding the sole selection

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a comparison between the RLH Aspen soles and the mini Vibram in honey. I am not sure if the color makes a difference.

The Aspens on my Ranger Mocs are the most comfortable shoes I own. The only issue I have with them is that they are slippery on wet surfaces, really slippery. I don't have any experience with the mini vibrams from Rancourt and would like to know how they compare in cushion to the Aspens. Are they super firm or is there a bit of give to them?

I've had both and prefer the Aspen. I agree that they are more slippery on wet surfaces, but I've learned to live with that. I've had the mini Vibram sole on a couple different make-ups from Rancourt and to me they always seemed really stiff compared to other lugged soles (like the lugged Vibram sole that Alden uses) and take much longer to break in. RLH used to be my go-to choice from Rancourt but these days it's a toss up between the Caliber and the Vibram Cristy sole (FWIW, I'm wearing some Ranger Mocs today with the Cristy and these have been my go-to shoes this winter when I've had to come into the office and there is ice and slush and snow and then I walk across marble floors in our building and I've never had any issues with slipping around in them).

Luscombe

Reaction score
I've had both and prefer the Aspen. I agree that they are more slippery on wet surfaces, but I've learned to live with that. I've had the mini Vibram sole on a couple different make-ups from Rancourt and to me they always seemed really stiff compared to other lugged soles (like the lugged Vibram sole that Alden uses) and take much longer to break in. RLH used to be my go-to choice from Rancourt but these days it's a toss up between the Caliber and the Vibram Cristy sole (FWIW, I'm wearing some Ranger Mocs today with the Cristy and these have been my go-to shoes this winter when I've had to come into the office and there is ice and slush and snow and then I walk across marble floors in our building and I've never had any issues with slipping around in them).
Thanks Michigan, that is exactly the feed back I was looking for That settles it. I used to have a pair of no name bison mocs with the mini-lug sole and they were like walking on boards. I like the Caliber sole on my Acadia's and the Oil resistant wedge on my Clymer II Boots, both are comfortable.
The new Reltex Lactae Hevea Rally sole intrigues me and would seem to be ultra comfy. How would that look on a Ranger Moc? The wedge seems like more of a boot sole.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Michigan, that is exactly the feed back I was looking for That settles it. I used to have a pair of no name bison mocs with the mini-lug sole and they were like walking on boards. I like the Caliber sole on my Acadia's and the Oil resistant wedge on my Clymer II Boots, both are comfortable.
The new Reltex Lactae Hevea Rally sole intrigues me and would seem to be ultra comfy. How would that look on a Ranger Moc? The wedge seems like more of a boot sole.

I'm right there with you for my MTO shell ranger. Right now it's down to Caliber, Christy, and Rally. Rally looks like it will have better traction than Aspen without sacrificing any comfort. They also appear to have the same profile which is one of the main attractions of the Aspen, imo.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I really like the comfort of my Baxter's with the Aspen sole except for the slippery part. Right now I would get the Rally sole for the MTO Shell Rangers. For the shell kinda money, I would want the most comfortable and practical sole available.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the comfort of my Baxter's with the Aspen sole except for the slippery part. Right now I would get the Rally sole for the MTO Shell Rangers. For the shell kinda money, I would want the most comfortable and practical sole available.
What colors does the Rally sole come in?

Luscombe

Reaction score
What colors does the Rally sole come in?
I just checked the Rancourt Resole page and they do offer the Rally in natural and Black.
The only ones I have seen on shoes are on the Harrison Redux and they are white. It would be greatr to see photos of the honey color or natural on a pair of shoes, that would seal the deal.

Last edited:

Caligula77

Reaction score
09861166-1815-4BC8-B7E5-4232AFB4C00A.jpeg
Caramel Shell Acadias

Luscombe

Reaction score
WOW, I love that caramel shell color. It will be the base for my Ranger Shells with an espresso upper.
I just ordered a pair of Acadias in Bison with the blucher lowered to create a 1" gap between the edges. This should allow me to tighten them without having them touch (low volume feet). Here to for, I did not know that was even an option. I have a pair in CXL that are super comfy.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Here's some Rancourt shell mocs for your enjoyment -
3 Rangers & a boat shoe.

View attachment 1563893 View attachment 1563894

I believe all of Rancourt's standard cordovan colors are represented, except black.
Thanks for sharing, awesome set of shoes. Looks like they are all lined. Any specific reason for that choice?
I noticed they all have the same soles. Are those the mini-vibram?

How do those feel relative to the RLH soles? I have not owned Rancourt soles like yours and want to be sure on the comfort side before pulling the trigger on a fairly expensive shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads