• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer. Most recent Rancourt model is a simple, but truly a beauty. Natural Shell Cordovan Beefrool with my favorite Wheeled Welt, Rugby Leather Outsole, and Key Heel.

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 2.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 5.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 18.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 32.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 43.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 46.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 54.jpg

Rancourt Natural Shell Cordovan Beefroll Loafer - 58.jpg

-Mike

BAK

Reaction score
@mreams, I just noticed the "Italian Brown Latigo Glace" leather on the customization tool.
Football-grain-esque.
Nice.
View attachment 1467211
It's a nice leather. Here's an image of it in real world. I recommend it for shoes, but I'm not a fan of it for boots after having worn this Rancourt pair. It's too stiff for the boot quarters. Fine for anything below the ankle.
IMG_3250.jpg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice leather. Here's an image of it in real world. I recommend it for shoes, but I'm not a fan of it for boots after having worn this Rancourt pair. It's too stiff for the boot quarters. Fine for anything below the ankle.
View attachment 1467265
What style are those? I don't recognize them. Not the normal Rancourt moc toe. They are beautiful.

BAK

Reaction score
What style are those? I don't recognize them. Not the normal Rancourt moc toe. They are beautiful.
They are indeed a great handsewn (skin stitch, not moccasin) blake boot. Not typically known as part of the regular Rancourt offering. I think the first rendition of these was done in a Japanese shell cordovan for Philadelphia retailer ToBox - voted best shoe store in Philly shortly after they opened and since have gone out of biz. This was their boot (sorry, low res):
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 10.52.46 PM.jpg

Because of that boot, I had made the other boot I posted in the Latigo. And that lead to perhaps the best rendition, which was @mdubs Color 4 version: A beautiful boot and many more of Mike's photos here.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eastports today.

Unfortunately, the suede pairs haven’t been working out as well as I had hoped for fit so I am selling all 3 pairs. To make up for that I will, of course, get a few more smooth leather pairs.

143DD9D5-CCC5-4BC6-81EC-8377AE86EA9E.jpeg

Luscombe

Reaction score
Eastports today.

Unfortunately, the suede pairs haven’t been working out as well as I had hoped for fit so I am selling all 3 pairs. To make up for that I will, of course, get a few more smooth leather pairs.

View attachment 1467735
If I may ask, where do you list the shoes for sale and what do you typically ask for them as a % of the retail cost?

I have a few pairs of AE, Rancourt & White shoes in excellent condition that do not fit me well that I would sell quite reasonably, just not sure what to expect.

Thanks,

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
If I may ask, where do you list the shoes for sale and what do you typically ask for them as a % of the retail cost?

I have a few pairs of AE, Rancourt & White shoes in excellent condition that do not fit me well that I would sell quite reasonably, just not sure what to expect.

Thanks,

Really depends upon wear/condition and the specifics of what you have but figure 50% as a very rough generalization.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My very well-worn camp mocs while I sit on the patio with an after work DNEIPA and my daughter plays in the sandbox.

These shoes are 10+ years old and have been worn hard, including many trips into Lake Huron when I was too lazy to dig my water shoes out of storage in the garage. They’ve been refurbished twice and are just now starting to show some cracking around some of the stitching. They’re being “replaced” with a pair of Ranger Mocs from the group-buy project.

I’ll probably keep wearing these around the house and the yard though as they are broken in beyond belief.

E96D4C4A-60EF-46A2-95B4-0F36E8C4FEE9.jpeg
49705A80-3887-4C58-B6FB-550AA3F86924.jpeg
69C87761-01E1-4C53-B47E-D07B8F186E5D.jpeg
DE6DFDC5-6639-4359-A8AD-9311A49A56B8.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first replacement for my failed suede loafer experiment has arrived already. I was expecting to wait 5-6 weeks.

still waiting on natural Essex beefrolls and flint kudu ranger mocs. Ranger mocs might not be my favorite style, but I love the flint kudu suede too much to pass these up. I’m not much of a sneaker person so I do think the ranger mocs are a nice handsewn alternative.

Might also pick up a bison or natural Virginia (Downeast) ranger mocs if I like the flint kudu variation enough. Just really interested in trying different leathers. Not sure if the bison grain fits my style or not.

7C3F538C-B18B-40F9-A0F5-86B5AEDF2E0F.jpeg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board. this natty CXL pair of beefrolls is too loose. I won't bother posting the pictures here, but I measured the strap area between the handsewn stitching on both my color 8 CXL pair and this new natty pair. About 3" between on my color 8 CXL pair and 3.5" between on my natty pair. These feel really loose like the suede pairs.

Anyway I contacted Rancourt to see what's 'normal' as I don't have an arsenal of other Rancourt beefrolls to compare to. If they determine that this natural CXL pair is 'normal' then maybe I'll have to stick to ranger mocs, camp mocs, and boat shoes in the future. If it's determined to not be normal then I am sure they can send another pair and all is well. It's been an odd journey. My first two pairs of Rancourt loafers fit great. And now I've had 5 pairs in a row that do not fit well. 4 of those pairs seem at least partly due to being lined suede. 1 pair is unlined smooth leather like the 2 pairs that fit.

Is this just bad luck?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads