• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Reltex Aspen (both wedge type).
Mine are a wedge sole too.

Yeah, but I think a distinction is appropriate here, as he is talking about an RLH sole, and yours is vibram christy. I would say that the reltexs don't have shanks, but I shouldn't speak on it since I didn't know any of them had shanks.

thoughts on the camp moc? anyone know if they are a good investment?

Camp moc speculation can be very risky, but if you can tolerate the extreme outcomes in the left tail, I think it's worthwhile.

Im a 9E fit in Alden LHS. should I go 9.5?
Such a bad proxy for sizing, IMO. I remember back in the day Clarks Dessert Boots were the standard for sizing references. That and the AE Park Aves.

I agree with the generally accepted wisdom that they are TTS, but -.5 for CXL to allow for stretching.

Luscombe

Reaction score
To those looking to participate in a GMTO for some shell Rancourt, I reached out to Scott White this afternoon via email. I mentioned there were quite a few of us who had an interest in developing a GMTO and asked him if Rancourt had any interest in the concept. Our idea was to create create a GMTO shell at a discounted cost and provide them with a sizable order to keep the cobblers on the payroll. It could be a win/win.

Scott usually responds within 24 hours so I will share his response here once it is received. There are a lot of unknows here not the least of which is the supply chain for the shell. I hope Rancourt will consider this and we can put something together. Stook1 and I count about 17 or so that are interested. My gut tells me we would have to double that number to make it feasible for Rancourt.

Stay tuned.....
Hi All,
I heard from Scott today; the idea of a GMTO is a definite maybe. He said to contact him early fall as the factory is now at capacity due to the crowdfunding sale. I interpret that to mean they have a solid 8 weeks of orders from the sale which will keep the factory busy into September.

I will reach out to Scott the first part of September and report the outcome back here on this thread.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi All,
I heard from Scott today; the idea of a GMTO is a definite maybe. He said to contact him early fall as the factory is now at capacity due to the crowdfunding sale. I interpret that to mean they have a solid 8 weeks of orders from the sale which will keep the factory busy into September.

I will reach out to Scott the first part of September and report the outcome back here on this thread.
I'd be interested in a color 4 beefroll :)

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think a distinction is appropriate here, as he is talking about an RLH sole, and yours is vibram christy. I would say that the reltexs don't have shanks, but I shouldn't speak on it since I didn't know any of them had shanks.

I would have thought that the inner construction for mocs with a midsole is standardized up until the point that they glue whichever outsole on. I've reached out to Rancourt to ask them about this.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

That is surprising and exciting news, indeed.

Next hurdle will be for everyone to agree on a make up...

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is surprising and exciting news, indeed.

Next hurdle will be for everyone to agree on a make up...

1593533003659.gif

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I was planning to do a MTO of this design...

Just with a Wheeled Welt and their older Rugby Leather Soles and Key Heels. I am fine with going from a MTO to a GMTO.

Wheeled edges...
CEFEB08B-1AAA-424C-A6F6-C31E171E29F6.jpeg

Rugby Leather Soles with Key Heel.
616C59F5-A847-4685-87C6-6C5A108BFF8A.jpeg

-Mike

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to do a MTO of this design...

Just with a Wheeled Welt and their older Rugby Leather Soles and Key Heels. I am fine with going from a MTO to a GMTO.

Wheeled edges...
View attachment 1415809

View attachment 1415810

-Mike

I think I’m going to request those soles when I resole my color 8s. What color shell, Mike?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snuff suede Byron boots for today gentlemen. Have a great week!
View attachment 1415403

Those look pretty good.

Are the laces not from Rancourt? No matter what kind of shoe or boot I'm getting, I almost always swap out the laces Rancourt ships with for the flat-wax laces from Alden.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I think I’m going to request those soles when I resole my color 8s. What color shell, Mike?

Those soles are their best and truly represent the quality that I think we are looking for when we order one of their shoes. Definitely recommend them.

I was planning to do it in Natural Shell Cordovan because they have that on hand. As of today, they only have Black Shell Cordovan and Natural Shell Cordovan (which they can dye into Navy, Green or Brown). They are trying to get a restock of Color #4 and Color #8 but have been delayed by Horween due to COVID-19 impacts and Horween trying to get production back on track...

-Mike

Gertoshav

Reaction score
View attachment 1415810

-Mike

Mike, could you please explain what the difference is with rugby leather sole and key heel versus what Rancourt would usually offer? Is it just aesthetics or does the design indicate higher quality? Also, is key heel the same as dovetail?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Mike, could you please explain what the difference is with rugby leather sole and key heel versus what Rancourt would usually offer? Is it just aesthetics or does the design indicate higher quality? Also, is key heel the same as dovetail?

Rancourt claims that they changed to their newer sole because it has superior rain performance and perhaps more durability. But it reminds me a lot of the Allen Edmonds Butyl Sole and I am not a fan. Their current heel topper is all rubber and I personally really love the aesthetic of a combination heel (even if I essentially never see it).

Their older Rugby Leather soles to me feel much nicer in terms of the material and craftsmanship that went into producing it. I am a big fan of it.

Yeah, I would normally refer to it as a dovetail heel, but Rancourt calls it a key heel.

-Mike

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rancourt claims that they changed to their newer sole because it has superior rain performance and perhaps more durability. But it reminds me a lot of the Allen Edmonds Butyl Sole and I am not a fan. Their current heel topper is all rubber and I personally really love the aesthetic of a combination heel (even if I essentially never see it).

Their older Rugby Leather soles to me feel much nicer in terms of the material and craftsmanship that went into producing it. I am a big fan of it.

Yeah, I would normally refer to it as a dovetail heel, but Rancourt calls it a key heel.

-Mike

Yup, I have three pairs of Rancourt pinch pennies: natural, espresso, and color 8. The first two were bought together 5+ years ago and came with the rugby sole which I prefer for similar reasons. My color 8 pair had to technically be an MTO since I found out they had since switched to the other sole and I wanted the rugby sole. I also did away with the box stitch.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I have three pairs of Rancourt pinch pennies: natural, espresso, and color 8. The first two were bought together 5+ years ago and came with the rugby sole which I prefer for similar reasons. My color 8 pair had to technically be an MTO since I found out they had since switched to the other sole and I wanted the rugby sole. I also did away with the box stitch.
Box stitch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads