• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have worn other footwear in my life and am aware that rubber is not indestructible. Just over 1mm left when I’ve worn them maybe 12 times is not what I would consider normal. Probably only 6-8 times for full work days.

But fear not. I had them replaced with a more durable rubber that’s also 1-2mm taller. Shouldn’t really be much downside to that since I have sole guards that add a few millimeters to the sole.

View attachment 1390846
These Vibram heels are awesome by the way. After a full day of work they still look practically new while the stock heels on my beefrolls are already worn down by around 2mm after having walked in them for a mile at most. I think the stock heels are great if you're only using the shoes indoors. The slightly softer heel is nice, but they really don't cut it on pavement at least with the way I walk.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think you are overestimating the value of needing to have that heel be thick in every area, but I'm glad you're happier now.
Nowhere did I say I needed to have the heel 'be thick in every area'. All I all asked originally was if anyone else noticed the stocks heels wearing down quickly. There is no question that they are wearing out for me quickly. No other shoes I own or have ever owned have worn down even even maybe 1/5 as quickly. You're not wrong that I could have gotten a few more wears out of them before wearing into the heel stack. But only a few.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nowhere did I say I needed to have the heel 'be thick in every area'. All I all asked originally was if anyone else noticed the stocks heels wearing down quickly. There is no question that they are wearing out for me quickly. No other shoes I own or have ever owned have worn down even even maybe 1/5 as quickly. You're not wrong that I could have gotten a few more wears out of them before wearing into the heel stack. But only a few.
Oddly, I have had a similar problem(issue?) with AE loafers. I don't have any Rancourt loafers, as I love the boots, but AE loafers have done the same thing......5/6 wears and heel is wearing down. Don't seem to have that issue with Alden or Grant Stone

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly, I have had a similar problem(issue?) with AE loafers. I don't have any Rancourt loafers, as I love the boots, but AE loafers have done the same thing......5/6 wears and heel is wearing down. Don't seem to have that issue with Alden or Grant Stone
I don't currently have any Grant Stone loafers, but I imagine those heels would last me at least a couple of years. Aren't they the same heels that are on their other leather soled shoes? Very very durable.

If I try Grant Stone loafers again it would be suede Travelers or maybe those upcoming tassels.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't currently have any Grant Stone loafers, but I imagine those heels would last me at least a couple of years. Aren't they the same heels that are on their leather soled shoes? Very very durable.

If I try Grant Stone loafers again it would be suede Travelers or maybe those upcoming tassels.
Heels seem the same on all GS, so yes should last a long time :)

Cordovanity

Reaction score
I want to buy the ranger-moc travelers. Anybody have any advice on sizing?

I'm a size 10 in sperrys, however it is a bit tight around the ball of my right big toe.

On the other hand, the Alden Indy boot in the trubalance last fits me perfectly in 9D because of the roomier toebox. Van last in unlined LHS penny loafers size 9D on the other hand is way too tight on the ball of my right foot.

That said, the rancourt Harrison boot in 9.5D seemed fine, but I did not wear for too long to see how it felt over time.

I think I have a wide ball of my foot on my right foot and discomfort from wearing shoes there so am a bit disconcerted with ordering shoes because it is so uncomfortable on the Alden LHS. Does anyone have any guidance in general and for these shoes specifically given those parameters?

I've been measured on the brannock and was told that I have normal shoe width so again I think it is just my forefoot on one foot that causes all the complications.

Should I look into buying my shoes in width E? Is that exactly what wider shoe sizes are for? Or will that make it too roomy throughout the rest of the shoe and too wide on my left foot? Should I only look to buy shoes with roomier lasts through the toebox such as the trubalance? Do I just need to give the normal width sizing patience to break-in and the problem is that the cordovan was too rigid of a material (I have worn them many times).

And with the rancourts specifically, any suggestions on the ranger-moc traveler sizing? I am leaning towards a 10D or E currently but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I placed an order for a pair of Acadia boots on April 15th. They needed to be a special makeup since they didn't have my size in stock and I was told 8 weeks but they shipped out yesterday and are scheduled to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow, so it really worked out to just about 5 weeks. ?

Luscombe

Reaction score
Very nice! Post some photos when you get them.

My order for Acadia's w/ Toast Bison and Downeast Mocs w/RLH soles, both MTO, went in on April 27.
I should see them the first week of June. I went through the "Made to fit" program so I know they will fit well.

GGMac

Reaction score
Speaking of Toast Rushmore Bison Acadia’s...I’ve been reaching for mine (Rancourt x Huckberry) a lot lately.

14E6C1C3-809A-403B-AC6C-B50D5F6EB463.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I want to buy the ranger-moc travelers. Anybody have any advice on sizing?

I'm a size 10 in sperrys, however it is a bit tight around the ball of my right big toe.

On the other hand, the Alden Indy boot in the trubalance last fits me perfectly in 9D because of the roomier toebox. Van last in unlined LHS penny loafers size 9D on the other hand is way too tight on the ball of my right foot.

That said, the rancourt Harrison boot in 9.5D seemed fine, but I did not wear for too long to see how it felt over time.

I think I have a wide ball of my foot on my right foot and discomfort from wearing shoes there so am a bit disconcerted with ordering shoes because it is so uncomfortable on the Alden LHS. Does anyone have any guidance in general and for these shoes specifically given those parameters?

I've been measured on the brannock and was told that I have normal shoe width so again I think it is just my forefoot on one foot that causes all the complications.

Should I look into buying my shoes in width E? Is that exactly what wider shoe sizes are for? Or will that make it too roomy throughout the rest of the shoe and too wide on my left foot? Should I only look to buy shoes with roomier lasts through the toebox such as the trubalance? Do I just need to give the normal width sizing patience to break-in and the problem is that the cordovan was too rigid of a material (I have worn them many times).

And with the rancourts specifically, any suggestions on the ranger-moc traveler sizing? I am leaning towards a 10D or E currently but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

You should similar to me. I can wear both a 10D and 10E but I slightly prefer the E width in the Ranger Moc. I wouldn't stress about the Van last too much. If you have a higher instep or wider ball it seems difficult to fit. I've never tried an E in the Van but the D width I couldnt get to work in the two sizes that I tried. It was either too narrow at the ball and too tight over the instep or in the bigger size I was getting too much heel slip.

By the way, Rancourt does offer a trial shoe for you to fit via mail order if you are doing a MTO.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Speaking of Toast Rushmore Bison Acadia’s...I’ve been reaching for mine (Rancourt x Huckberry) a lot lately.

View attachment 1393423
Yes sir, those are the ones. I really like the color and look of that Bison and asked Scott if they could do a custom for me in a narrow even though Huckberry was exclusive. Since Huckberry only offered medium widths, Scott was able to make a pair for me.
I like Rancourt's customer service.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Yes sir, those are the ones. I really like the color and look of that Bison and asked Scott if they could do a custom for me in a narrow even though Huckberry was exclusive. Since Huckberry only offered medium widths, Scott was able to make a pair for me.
I like Rancourt's customer service.

Concur, Rancourt's Customer Service, especially Scott, is superb.

My most complex MTO is coming in the mail on Tuesday. Can't wait to see them and share more of that story with you all!

-Mike

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
So I’m still on the fence on the flint kudu ranger Mocs. I love the traveler sole version that was posted here a couple of pages ago, but I also am interested in the standard flint kudu with the camp sole. Does anyone have the standard flint kudu ranger Mocs to show pics in the wild?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads