• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of versatility outside of the elements I would consider them to both check the same boxes.
Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like you have more of a utilitarian approach to comparing the two (checking the same boxes) which I understand but isn’t completely how I see it.

I think it’s perfectly fine to have a difference of opinion, as everyone approaches things differently.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like you have more of a utilitarian approach to comparing the two (checking the same boxes) which I understand but isn’t completely how I see it.

I think it’s perfectly fine to have a difference of opinion, as everyone approaches things differently.
Yea. I think so. Our reasons for choosing one over the other are likely very different.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose ranger mocs primarily due to comfort issues with the laces on the camp mocs. Were it not for the comfort issue I would probably give a slight nod to the camp mocs as they are a bit closer to the penny loafer style that I have come to love.

If we are trying to pick each apart aesthetically I would say that I dislike the v shape on the collar of the ranger mocs due to the quarters. I would prefer that they have a version with smaller eyelets so it looks better with thinner cotton laces. With the camp mocs I wish they were constructed in a way that doesn't have the thick leather laces making bulges inside the shoes right on top of my feet. I don't think I have other complaints about the aesthetic outside of the last shape. I feel that both styles would look better on the 114 last, but they likely fit a lot more people on their current 800 last.

I am not totally familiar with what a 'lacing stay' is that you mentioned in a previous post, but I will assume it has to do with the leather lace going all around the collar? If that is the case I would not mind seeing a camp moc design without that. This would probably force them to use the 114 last as at that point it is a loafer with a decorative leather lace bow on the front. I would actually like that a lot.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Ok so after consulting with the wife - I’m back to the camp moc (ranger will come next!) So back to my original question..... any other opinions on Carolina Brown cxl vs. buckaroo?

Luscombe

Reaction score
Just a heads up that Huckberry has all of their Rancourt stock on sale through tomorrow. I’ve not purchased from them previously but did just place an order for their exclusive bison Acadia Chukka. Free shipping and 30 day returns.

View attachment 1358878
I have been looking at this Chukka for quite awhile. I wear a size 11 B in Rancourt. Did not see where Huckberry offered any widths other than D. I emailed them. Anyone here own these in a narrow width? I have a pair of Clymers 2.0 and two pairs of Ranger Mocs with the Lactae Hevea soles. All are 11B and 2 are CXL leather. I love the weight and feel of the leather but after wearing them the leather has stretched and they are loose on me now.

How does the Bison stretch compared to the CXL? My next pair will be Bison but I will ask them to put a liner in it.
Great shoes, I love their products.

cincytri

Reaction score
Took delivery of these Ranger Mocs this week from our friends in Maine. These are next level quality and I am definitely going to be picking up a few more things from Rancourt this year. Next up will probably be basically the same build in Carmel. All of the details are on point and the customer service was outstanding. I may have a new favorite USA shoe maker.
1C69CB5E-A0EA-4D40-98BB-42564B1FFA57.jpeg
672D6725-DC07-4876-A855-99DF163787D8.jpeg
B6878584-EAA1-47BA-8416-066DB8F285B1.jpeg
DDC16F3F-2EEE-4AAC-9DF3-3BB3F75A5407.jpeg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of these Ranger Mocs this week from our friends in Maine. These are next level quality and I am definitely going to be picking up a few more things from Rancourt this year. Next up will probably be basically the same build in Carmel. All of the details are on point and the customer service was outstanding. I may have a new favorite USA shoe maker. View attachment 1366133 View attachment 1366134 View attachment 1366135 View attachment 1366136
Those look really familiar.

What color are those?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

BAK

Reaction score
Ok so after consulting with the wife - I’m back to the camp moc (ranger will come next!) So back to my original question..... any other opinions on Carolina Brown cxl vs. buckaroo?
I think the camp moc is a fantastic shoe. Don't let anyone here dissuade you - it's one of their best sellers for a good reason. I've been wearing the same pair of Buckaroo for about 10 years and they've treated me great. Practically indestructible and the high oil content in the leather repels anything (the Chromexcel is also resistant to pretty much anything). I think because of the high oil content in Buckaroo it tends to allow it to stretch quite easily, so my only recommendation is to make sure you start with a comfortably snug fit.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the camp moc is a fantastic shoe. Don't let anyone here dissuade you - it's one of their best sellers for a good reason. I've been wearing the same pair of Buckaroo for about 10 years and they've treated me great. Practically indestructible and the high oil content in the leather repels anything (the Chromexcel is also resistant to pretty much anything). I think because of the high oil content in Buckaroo it tends to allow it to stretch quite easily, so my only recommendation is to make sure you start with a comfortably snug fit.
1/2 size down from brannock seems to work for me on Rancourt handsewns. Between the two I would also go for the buckaroo after having owned the Carolina brown version. I do generally prefer smooth leather, but the buckaroo grain looks nice.

Reactions: BAK

BAK

Reaction score
I'll preface this post by saying (for anyone that doesn't already know) I used to work for Rancourt. Anyhow, while cleaning and deleting some old files yesterday I came across this photo of a boot I had made by Rancourt almost exactly 4 years ago, and thought I'd post it here as I'm not sure I've seen anyone else with a pair of these, and perhaps no one is aware Rancourt has the capability to do a handsewn (skin-stitched on the last, not moccasin) boot, akin to some Alden models. This was made with Horween's Latigo Glace leather. I really liked the boot, and while I would recommend the leather for a shoe (I had a perf cap-toe made also) I would not recommend it for a boot - the leather is too stiff for the taller quarters.
IMG_3250.jpg

That boot led to the idea of these two boots which were prototypes for a Fall 2016 collection, but never made the cut. These were made in Bison.
Caribou Boot Tan.jpg

Caribou Boot Chocolate.jpg

That led to me remembering we had also made a run of these in a Japanese Shell Cordovan for a Philly retailer no longer in business.
Moc Stitch Blake Boot.JPG

My recollection is there was one guy in the factory that did the handsewing on the blake-constructed models, so assuming he's still around (or if there are others with the correct talent for this), I would think this might still be an option for MTO. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Happy Sunday everyone.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll preface this post by saying (for anyone that doesn't already know) I used to work for Rancourt. Anyhow, while cleaning and deleting some old files yesterday I came across this photo of a boot I had made by Rancourt almost exactly 4 years ago, and thought I'd post it here as I'm not sure I've seen anyone else with a pair of these, and perhaps no one is aware Rancourt has the capability to do a handsewn (skin-stitched, not moccasin) on the last boot, akin to some Alden models. This was made with Horween's Latigo Glace leather. I really liked the boot, and while I would recommend the leather for a shoe (I had a perf cap-toe made also) I would not recommend it for a boot - the leather is too stiff for the taller quarters.
View attachment 1366390

That boot led to the idea of these two boots which were prototypes for a Fall 2016 collection, but never made the cut. These were made in Bison.
View attachment 1366391
View attachment 1366392
That led to me remembering we had also made a run of these in a Japanese Shell Cordovan for a Philly retailer no longer in business.
View attachment 1366393

My recollection is there was one guy in the factory that did the handsewing on the blake-constructed models, so assuming he's still around (or if there are others with the correct talent for this), I would think this might still be an option for MTO. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Happy Sunday everyone.
All four of those look great. It’s interesting how different the boot looks with just a change in leather.
I wonder why this model did not make the cut.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, how did those boots in bison not make the cut?!? So sick, would cop in a minute.

My Byron boots in the grey Kudu came in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't seen them yet since they are at my sister's house. Looking forward to those as the pics I've seen are excellent.

Secondly, I decided to make another purchase during these trying times and bought a natty cxl beefroll penny loafers. They weren't supposed to be in stock and would be made in 4 weeks, but wouldn't you know they just randomly showed up 3 days after I made the purchase even though I never got a shipping notice or anything. Weird, but I'll take it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads