• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick on foot shot of the Huckberry Bison Acadia’s. Note: Huckberry and Rancourt are both great to deal with as there was a quality issue on Rancourt’s end. Both were great and responded immediately and addressed the issue. I received my replacement pair today, which is only a few days after my initial return request. I’d gladly do business with both moving forward. And back to the poor basement photo

View attachment 1362814

I really like the fit of the Acadia ??

nws

Reaction score
First pair of rancourt shoes for me. They are really soft and the fit is great. Fits true to size (12D brannock) for me on these classic ranger mocs in Carolina brown CXL. Just hydrated them with some Saphir MDO neutral oiled leather cream.

I found them new online from a shop final sale for $129.

D9344216-92D4-4FC0-B5F2-4ABB66AB28EC.jpeg

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I love Rancourt - I currently have only 1 pair (Court Classics) but am looking to now pick up a pair of camp-mocs. I'm having a dilemma and I'm hoping anyone who has had the same questions can help. I'm debating between the Carolina Brown and the Dark Brown Buckaroo. I'm really wanting something that will wear well. I plan to wear these in all kinds of weather (maybe not snow :) ). Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!
Carolina Brown
Buckaroo

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I love Rancourt - I currently have only 1 pair (Court Classics) but am looking to now pick up a pair of camp-mocs. I'm having a dilemma and I'm hoping anyone who has had the same questions can help. I'm debating between the Carolina Brown and the Dark Brown Buckaroo. I'm really wanting something that will wear well. I plan to wear these in all kinds of weather (maybe not snow :) ). Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!
Carolina Brown
Buckaroo
This maybe an unpopular decision around these parts, but why the Camp-Mocs? You seem to want them to be versatile and that shoe isn’t that to me. It’s unbalanced and a weird blend between chunky (laces, moc toe and padded collar) and seek (shape) that would limit what you could wear it with and make it work.

IMHO the Classic ranger would be a better choice and much more versatile shape. Even the loafers would be a better option.

In terms of color the Carolina brown is probably easier to wear as it’s more of a mid brown.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
This maybe an unpopular decision around these parts, but why the Camp-Mocs? You seem to want them to be versatile and that shoe isn’t that to me. It’s unbalanced and a weird blend between chunky (laces, moc toe and padded collar) and seek (shape) that would limit what you could wear it with and make it work.

IMHO the Classic ranger would be a better choice and much more versatile shape. Even the loafers would be a better option.

In terms of color the Carolina brown is probably easier to wear as it’s more of a mid brown.
What a great reply! Thank you - and an interesting idea. What about Classic Ranger with shorts and no socks? Has anyone seen that look?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranger mocs look fine sockless with shorts though I personally prefer minimalist sneakers in that case. The way the laces on camp mocs put pressure on the top of my feet never worked for me. I got used to it to an extent but always felt more comfortable wearing Rancourt's boat shoes, ranger mocs, or penny loafers.

Personally the only way I consider ranger mocs more versatile is functionally. You will have a lower chance of getting your feet wet when it's raining. Outside of that I don't see them being much more versatile. Just different. They use the same last which isn't particularly sleek. They have the same moc stitching. They both use leather laces though it would be easier to swap to cotton laces with the ranger mocs. Nothing about a Rancourt classic ranger moc says 'more versatile shape' compared to their camp mocs aside from handling rain.

Last edited:

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Ranger mocs look fine sockless with shorts though I personally prefer minimalist sneakers in that case. The way the laces on camp mocs put pressure on the top of my feet never worked for me. I got used to it to an extent but always felt more comfortable wearing Rancourt's boat shoes, ranger mocs, or penny loafers.

Personally the only way I consider ranger mocs more versatile is functionally. You will have a lower chance of getting your feet wet when it's raining. Outside of that I don't see them being much more versatile. Just different. They use the same last which isn't particularly sleek. They have the same moc stitching. They both use leather laces though it would be easier to swap to cotton laces with the ranger mocs. Nothing about a Rancourt classic ranger moc says 'more versatile shape' compared to their camp mocs.

Thank you! I really do like the look of both....now I’m trying to figure out which one is worth 250 hard-earned dollars. I’m gearing up to buy this spring/summer good leather shoe. It needs to go well with shorts, jeans and chinos. Socks or sock less. On vacation, running to the grocery store, and occasionally wearing to work on a Friday with some khakis.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're both fine for all of that, but it is up to you to decide which style you are happier with. For me I could not figure it out until I actually tried all of the options. After 'wasting' money by purchasing things I would end up selling I actually settled on the least likely choice. I prefer their penny loafers for all of those things you mentioned including shorts. Based on pictures I found searching Google I did not think I would prefer penny loafers with shorts over camp mocs, ranger mocs, and boat shoes. I find that the 114 last works a lot better for my feet and my tastes.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally the only way I consider ranger mocs more versatile is functionally. You will have a lower chance of getting your feet wet when it's raining. Outside of that I don't see them being much more versatile. Just different. They use the same last which isn't particularly sleek. They have the same moc stitching. They both use leather laces though it would be easier to swap to cotton laces with the ranger mocs. Nothing about a Rancourt classic ranger moc says 'more versatile shape' compared to their camp mocs aside from handling rain.
So you are essentially saying you see the ranger and camp as the same?

Sure, they definitely have similarities but adding the lace stay and the laces changes the balance of the shoe giving it a slightly less dainty feel.

I understand what they were trying to achieve with the camp moc but IMO it’s not the most well executed shoe.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are essentially saying you see the ranger and camp as the same?

Sure, they definitely have similarities but adding the lace stay and the laces changes the balance of the shoe giving it a slightly less dainty feel.

I understand what they were trying to achieve with the camp moc but IMO it’s not the most well executed shoe.
In terms of versatility outside of the elements I would consider them to both check the same boxes.

I would not consider either at all 'dainty' and would not consider either the most well executed shoe.

I probably would not revisit either style unless they made new versions on a new last or the 114 last, but I do think both styles often look great on other people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads