• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these basic ranger mocs in. The eyelets are way more uneven on the left shoe, but I already gave up thinking about. Love natural CXL. The brick red soles look a lot less red than they do on the website. Perhaps it’s because it’s a cloudy day.

color 8 CXL beefrolls on order.

6012F404-F575-41B7-83AB-DA8E4A83494C.jpeg

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here speak to the way women's loafers fit or any sizing advice? Specifically the Elizabeth and Somerset. Thank you so much!

I'll probably shoot them an email, but this whole MTO thing and long turnaround time has my lady concerned about getting the right size.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here speak to the way women's loafers fit or any sizing advice? Specifically the Elizabeth and Somerset. Thank you so much!

I'll probably shoot them an email, but this whole MTO thing and long turnaround time has my lady concerned about getting the right size.
I don't know if they do this for women, but Rancourt can send you two (?) different sizes of their trial shoes to try on to make the decision easier.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Opportunistic pickup of a pair of natural cxl ranger mocs. First time wearing them but unfortunately stuck in my home office since my firm's office is shut down for a few weeks. I've been very reluctant to buy cxl since I'm not crazy about how it looks when the grain isn't really tight. These were a good buy on the secondary market so figured I'd take a chance. These seem to be a good pair.

Bonus saddles in the background that I've been working on.

20200313_110727.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opportunistic pickup of a pair of natural cxl ranger mocs. First time wearing them but unfortunately stuck in my home office since my firm's office is shut down for a few weeks. I've been very reluctant to buy cxl since I'm not crazy about how it looks when the grain isn't really tight. These were a good buy on the secondary market so figured I'd take a chance. These seem to be a good pair.

Bonus saddles in the background that I've been working on.

View attachment 1354425
Clicking on yours seems a lot better than the pair I just got yesterday. The vamp on the left shoe out of the box did not have the tightest grain. The eyelets are much better lined up on your pair as well. Part of the reason I did the bar at the start of the lacing under rather than over was to mask the unevenness a bit. Looking great!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Clicking on yours seems a lot better than the pair I just got yesterday. The vamp on the left shoe out of the box did not have the tightest grain. The eyelets are much better lined up on your pair as well. Part of the reason I did the bar at the start of the lacing under rather than over was to mask the unevenness a bit. Looking great!

Thanks, yes this pair seems to be well executed. Really no complaints on my end... particularly considering what they cost. I forgot to mention, these have a LH sole, which is another first for me. So far so good.

I think I may try to sell my quoddy bluchers now in an effort to minimize the number of handsewns I have (and so that I can feel less guilty about ordering a shell rancourt makeup). I jumped into the rage for chromepak soles and they feel too flat and unstructured for me.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume others have already done this, but I figured out a nice way to fully put my shoe trees in my Rancourt handsewns without potentially causing any weird stretching in the toe due to the constant pressure. Initially I just left the heel out like I've seen people mention elsewhere. Just now I thought... Well, what about if I remove the spring? Solves everything. No more issues.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume others have already done this, but I figured out a nice way to fully put my shoe trees in my Rancourt handsewns without potentially causing any weird stretching in the toe due to the constant pressure. Initially I just left the heel out like I've seen people mention elsewhere. Just now I thought... Well, what about if I remove the spring? Solves everything. No more issues.
Or buy a size smaller tree

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or buy a size smaller tree
I’m not sure the smaller size would be small enough, but I’ve considered trying. It would have to be very very small to not put any pressure on the front of the toe box. I felt that one size down would probably still be too large.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are probably my favorite shoes. I only wish they came with stronger rubber on the heels. Seems like they’ll need to be replaced by the time I get to a dozen wears. Maybe a few more than that. Even if the wear slows a lot I wouldn't anticipate them lasting more than about 20 wears. Probably will go with Vibram heels as I've heard good things.

My girlfriend thinks they’re ‘cute’ due to the profile. I can’t say I disagree. They could be considered cute compared to my chunkier shoes and boots.

Can't wait for the color 8 cxl beefrolls in about 1 month. Although the wait could be longer depending on things continue with covid-19. Not something I could be upset about if that happens.

586CACBB-3797-425F-A0EB-9992548322EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Pedlar

Reaction score
I’m not sure the smaller size would be small enough, but I’ve considered trying. It would have to be very very small to not put any pressure on the front of the toe box. I felt that one size down would probably still be too large.
Last summer I got some of the non-spring trees from shoepassion for my CXL loafers. I went with a smaller size… but not quite small enough, so I needed to modify them just a bit to what I thought was the right amount of snugness. They seem to work well though I guess I’ll know more when I bring the loafers out from winter hibernation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads