• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here a EE? If so, do you ever take a EEE in shoes by other makers? I'm a EEE (mostly due to a high instep, my feet are wide too but the high instep is the thing that really presents fit issues) and would love to try Rancourts but they don't make a EEE. I've contacted them in the past and they just don't have the tooling for EEE, it seems. I know I could go a half size up in length, but I just don't want to do that. Once you get used to having shoes that fit really well it's hard to make compromises!

Quoddy makes a EEE and I really love their shoes, but it would be nice to try the other great Maine shoemaker too. So if anyone is a EE who occasionally wears a EEE from other makers I'd love to hear your thoughts on Rancourt's fit.
I have the same issue, albeit on the narrow end of the spectrum. I'm normally a 13B, but can't size or width down a Rancourt shoe that runs wide (because they don't offer 12.5 or A widths). This has kept me out of their loafers, as the 115 last runs high and wide on me.
Are you talking boots or loafers? If the latter, you might have them send you a EE loafer to try. It just might work.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is anyone here a EE? If so, do you ever take a EEE in shoes by other makers? I'm a EEE (mostly due to a high instep, my feet are wide too but the high instep is the thing that really presents fit issues) and would love to try Rancourts but they don't make a EEE. I've contacted them in the past and they just don't have the tooling for EEE, it seems. I know I could go a half size up in length, but I just don't want to do that. Once you get used to having shoes that fit really well it's hard to make compromises!

Quoddy makes a EEE and I really love their shoes, but it would be nice to try the other great Maine shoemaker too. So if anyone is a EE who occasionally wears a EEE from other makers I'd love to hear your thoughts on Rancourt's fit.
Sorry. I don't think you're going to be happy with an EE from Rancourt, especially if you're not ok with going up half length. I wear some EEEs in AE, but in lasts like 65 (which is half down up width). 11EEE in 65, 11.5EE in TTS lasts.

As James said, you might have them send a pair for test fitting, but just go in expecting a possible miss.

As you say, not compromising feels much better, and there's a lot of brands and lasts I avoid for that reason unfortunately.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, albeit on the narrow end of the spectrum. I'm normally a 13B, but can't size or width down a Rancourt shoe that runs wide (because they don't offer 12.5 or A widths). This has kept me out of their loafers, as the 115 last runs high and wide on me.
Are you talking boots or loafers? If the latter, you might have them send you a EE loafer to try. It just might work.
Sorry. I don't think you're going to be happy with an EE from Rancourt, especially if you're not ok with going up half length. I wear some EEEs in AE, but in lasts like 65 (which is half down up width). 11EEE in 65, 11.5EE in TTS lasts.

As James said, you might have them send a pair for test fitting, but just go in expecting a possible miss.

As you say, not compromising feels much better, and there's a lot of brands and lasts I avoid for that reason unfortunately.

Thanks, gentlemen! I will probably try a loafer in EE, but will prepare to be disappointed. Sigh. Those of us with narrow and wide feet are so often disappointed. Oh, the humanity! My youngest son experienced this a few months ago. He needed shoes for HS cross-country so we went to the fancy running shoe store. The salesman who helped him had worked at the store for over 30 years and had fit tens of thousands of customers. During that time he's seen all kinds of feet, obviously. But even this salesman was absolutely astonished to encounter a foot that is so wide, with such a high instep. He'd bring out pair after pair, slip them on, lace them up and stop and stare... why isn't this working? His facial expression could have been used to illustrate the term "perplexed."

I sure hope 7.5EE in Rancourt works out, but if it doesn't it doesn't. It would be great to get a pair of those shell cordovan boat shoes though. Wow those are awesome.

CMT1

Reaction score
Espresso heading into the weekend, have a great one, all!

cYWwlRu.jpg

8ejYQAJ.jpg

wHVMm5C.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@CMT1 I had no idea this thread existed. I'm not sure if I should be thankful for your prompting me to search or fearful of the inevitable slide into yet another shell rabbit hole!

Beautiful rancourts gentlemen!

lcdx22

Reaction score
They actually have tan thread.

Nice. It looks great. Those look to be MTO. I was looking on their website and I don't see the pinch penny as on option in their custom list. Did you have to reach out directly or do they do special runs similar to Alde ? I like the brown welt you have with the wheeling. The stock shell espresso pinch penny has a lighter welt. Also, what type of sole do you have on that pair?

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Also, what type of sole do you have on that pair?

x2, are they goodyear welted @mdubs ? Don't think I have seen that before from rancourt, although I am new to thread so maybe I am lost in ignorance.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
x2, are they goodyear welted @mdubs ? Don't think I have seen that before from rancourt, although I am new to thread so maybe I am lost in ignorance.

They are Moccasin construction, so not Goodyear Welted. But they can still be re-soled. The outsoles that I use are their old stock soles, but they now just offer as a MTO if you call them. It is the Rugby Leather Sole and I got their older Key Heels as well.. Full specifications on them were as follows... I also get their Wheeled Welt, which adds the more custom look with the edge. I saw it on the special orders that they did for Leffot back in the day and love the custom look that it yields.

Pinch Penny (4501-04S)
Espresso Shell Cordovan (Dyed Twice - Vice Standard of Three Times)
Unlined
Tan HS Thread
Rugby Sole w/Key Heel
Wheeled Welt w/Natural Edge Stain
10D

6011-LG; Shoe Trees - Split Toe (size 9.5EE - 11.5D)

Hope that helps!

-Mike

lcdx22

Reaction score
They are Moccasin construction, so not Goodyear Welted. But they can still be re-soled. The outsoles that I use are their old stock soles, but they now just offer as a MTO if you call them. It is the Rugby Leather Sole and I got their older Key Heels as well.. Full specifications on them were as follows...

Pinch Penny (4501-04S)
Espresso Shell Cordovan (Dyed Twice - Vice Standard of Three Times)
Unlined
Tan HS Thread
Rugby Sole w/Key Heel
Wheeled Welt w/Natural Edge Stain
10D

6011-LG; Shoe Trees - Split Toe (size 9.5EE - 11.5D)

Hope that helps!

-Mike

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads