• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was wearing my Red Wing by Rancourt mocs the other night and caught in heavy rain.
Floods while crossing the street, all sorts of nasty "water".
Shoe was totally submerged, when i went back the house after a good hour had to literally pour some water out.

Stuffed tissue and let it air dry for 24hrs.
After that used obernauf spray cleaner to clean the outside and inside of the shoe.
Let it sit in the hot sun for bout 30mins....it was baking how when i took it back in.

Now i have to re-oil the shoe again.
Hope everyone turns out ok....so far no foul smell.....

View attachment 1297304
It will be fine, cows get wet don't they? Of course they do smell............. :)

Pedlar

Reaction score
Brightons on a chilly day
D544ECAE-0AE7-4B28-A7C0-2448844B5044.jpeg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got two pair of shell Ranger Mocs - one in caramel (which I think is about the same as #4) and another in the navy. My caramels are on a leather sole and although I’ve only had them about a year, they are still in really good shape. Rancourt’s leather sole is pretty comfortable and I think it works nicely with the color of shell. I’ve got a pair in brown CXL on the typical camp sole but I don’t think that would look quite as nice with the shell.

I just received my navy shell Ranger Mocs a couple of weeks ago and I went back and forth over which sole to use. I ended up going with their new “caliber” sole and I’m loving it. I had thought about doing another leather sole but decided I wanted to go more casual. I’ve liked wedge soles that I’ve had on other shoes but didn’t like the look of Rancourt’s (at least not for these). I’ve got the Realtex sole on a suede pair I‘be had for a few years and considered that but then I saw the caliber sole on their new Acadia boots. It wasn’t in the drop-down on the custom made page so I reached out and they said it would be no problem. Lots of grip, not as heavy as some soles, very comfortable.

Thanks for the input. Apparently they got a few pieces of #4 in their last Horween shipment so my order is going to be ready sooner than expected, once I finalize my make up.

I may give the Vibram 232 a shot and if I don't like them I could re-sole them down the road.

Did you get both of your shell ranger mocs lined?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both of my shell pair are unlined. My very first pair of Ranger Mocs were an unlined brown CXL. My second pair was natural CXL but I decided to go lined for something a little different… I should have stuck wit the unlined. There’s nothing wrong with the lined pair but the unlined are just so much more comfortable and break in more easily. Every pair I’ve ordered since then has been unlined (one suede, two shell).

I still wear the lined pair plenty, especially in the fall and winter but my preference is for the unlined by a wide margin.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of my shell pair are unlined. My very first pair of Ranger Mocs were an unlined brown CXL. My second pair was natural CXL but I decided to go lined for something a little different… I should have stuck wit the unlined. There’s nothing wrong with the lined pair but the unlined are just so much more comfortable and break in more easily. Every pair I’ve ordered since then has been unlined (one suede, two shell).

I still wear the lined pair plenty, especially in the fall and winter but my preference is for the unlined by a wide margin.
Thanks.

Hmm I will need to double check if my three rangers are lined or unlined. I thought my standard rangers were lined, but the Rancourt site says the standard Rangers are unlned. With shell, I think I would prefer lined so that there aren't too many rolls. My unlined C&J Harvards have so many rolls. How do you feel about the rolls on your shell rangers?

View media item 2295339
These are my shell boat shoes, which I think are lined, and I love how few rolls there are. Too bad they are too small for me to wear more often.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Apparently they got a few pieces of #4 in their last Horween shipment so my order is going to be ready sooner than expected, once I finalize my make up.

I may give the Vibram 232 a shot and if I don't like them I could re-sole them down the road.

Awesome. ;-) I asked them to order a few pieces. I got a pair being made as well. :)

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hmm I will need to double check if my three rangers are lined or unlined. I thought my standard rangers were lined, but the Rancourt site says the standard Rangers are unlned. With shell, I think I would prefer lined so that there aren't too many rolls. My unlined C&J Harvards have so many rolls. How do you feel about the rolls on your shell rangers?

View media item 2295339
These are my shell boat shoes, which I think are lined, and I love how few rolls there are. Too bad they are too small for me to wear more often.

Churchill, can you take a picture of the inside? They typically do a double Shell on the tongue and the rest is unlined.

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, weather guy says we could get up to 5 inches of snow early next week, so darn glad I got the shearling lined boots, as 5 inches of snow will mean they get a workout shoveling the drive and sidewalks. Warmest boots I've ever owned, so good I gave my AE shearling lined first ave boots to Goodwill, as the AE's were only lined on the shaft, not the entire boot as Rancourt did (which is the correct way to line a boot).

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of these boots in dark brown but with blind eyelets to give them a more dressy appearance. They will be ready in about five weeks. I’ll post pictures
The Brighton is a great design.
It can look very different, depending on details like the eyelets and the material.
Here are mine: View attachment 1299310

Looking good guys! I have one coming as well with a few mods from the original design.

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, 2.5 inches of snow here this evening, so I decided to go out and shovel/snow blower the drive and sidewalks. Didn't get any pictures, but wore the bison, shearling boots I ordered last winter and recieved in May (just a little late for use). These things are awesome, my feet stayed warm/dry/comfy even though I was out in the snow for over an hour. I will try to get some pix tomorrow, as we are to have another round of snow tomorrow afternoon, but DAMN the Rancourt's delivered!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads