RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thanks for the insight. Does it smell the same? I read in another thread that a while back that it has a metallic odor.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Ha, I remember reading that about the comipel cordovan before I bought them.
    Searching some more and it seems that most all bad things I read about the Tricker's cordovan sourced back to that one guy.
    There was no metallic smell. They smelled of leather/polish like any other pair of new shoes.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Good enough for me.

I like the prominent natural welt seen on a lot of Trickers. Also the bright colors, especially for linings. Just not into most of their designs as I don't like a lot of detail/brogue on my shoes.

4. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Through the Shoe Healer, you can do a custom MTO, for a slight upcharge. (can't remember how much).

MOTO over here in Japan does some cordovan boots. Cordovan is from Shinki in Himeji. From what I understand the Comipel cordovan comes from Shinki and is finished at Comipel in Italy. Shinki and Horween being the only producers of shell cordovan in the world today. The Shinki shell is very different from Horween's.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-refalt/moto_mga2_co/

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That's who I was working with on the Mogano Herman.

I can't read Japanese, but that is actually what the shell looked like on the boots I got from Rancourt. Matte, not glossy.

6. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I can't remember what the upcharge is either, but it's a lot more than "slight".

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

When I was posted this morning, it actually came to mind that they might be, but I forgot to ask yesterday. I don't think they had shell make ups for sale yesterday.

Yup, my venetians which I only wear about three times a month that I bought in May are soon to be needing recrafting. The leather soles are getting a little soft. I am thinking about getting a combo rubber leather sole so they don't have to be recrafted so often.

9. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Thanks. I thought so, but erred on the "slight" side so as not to turn anyone off with false info......

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Has anyone tried the venetians on any other soles? I was thinking something like the hevea sole or maybe even the leather wrap moccasin sole to make them like slippers you can wear outside (like driving shoes).

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Can you point me to an example of the leather wrap moccasin sole?

I would do camp moc or boat shoe sole. That default sole they use doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Bakes, I've got the leather wrap moc sole on a pair of the suede chukkas. I only wear them inside as house shoes. There's a story behind that, but mainly when I got them about a year and a half ago, what I needed at that time was house shoes, and these promised to be comfortable and quiet. Sole has worn very well in that use. Does get a little slick with water on it. I can post photos if you'd like to see them.

I'm not really that surprised that the Venetians require resoling so soon. That single leather sole looks very thin. Are they at all comfortable on that sole? I've considered the makeup, but would almost certainly swap out the sole.

BTW, speaking of soles, I continue to be very pleased with RLH sole on my Ranger Mocs. Very very comfortable and provides a very sure footing in general conditions so far. Seems to be wearing well and has retained its color nicely too. Would recommend this material.

13. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

15. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

That sounds really cool actually! A pair of Venetians on the hevea sole!? Those royal blue venetians like 40 pages back on the lighter hevea sole...

My issue with Rancourt is there are just sooo many options! LOL! Makes me crazy