• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with the blake stitched boots have some sizing guidance for me?

I wear a 10D in Alden's Barrie last in wingtip boots, 10 E in Allen Edmonds 5 lasted Cambridge, 10 D in AE 5 lasted Strand, 10 E in Alden for Brooks Brothers captoe balmorals, and 10 D in a pair of Alden for BB tassel loafers that are a bit too tight. I have a pair of OSB trail mocs size 10 D that are a bit big and a pair of Eastland made in Maine olive chromexcel trail oxfords size 9.5D that were tight when I first put them on and now fit perfectly.

Trying to figure out how these blake boots fit is tricky 'cause TTS doesn't really mean anything to me. I'm guessing my TTS is between a 10E and 10.5D? I was thinking of going 10D with these boots because the CXL stretches. Thoughts?

Another few questions:

Does PM'ing Taryn on here work, or can someone PM me the right email address to use?

Should I be worried about the Blake construction for bad weather conditions? Because the Blake stitch goes through the insole it's supposed to not be as good as goodyear welted or especially reverse welted construction.

Does anyone have a list of choices for a MTO? What colors of Chromexcel are available, especially in different shades of brown? I think I have a decent feel for the soles available, but is there a list somewhere just so I can be sure? What are the options around the welt / midsole layer, and can you have an extra layer like in the Helm boots? Are there options for different laces? Are speed hooks something you can add on?

Has anyone gotten any more blake boots since the first one with the espresso shell? Got pics?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Initial Thoughts:

Annoying that I asked for white stitching, and it said white stitching on the order, but they still used brown stitching. They will be hearing from me about that. They did the same thing to Calikid.

The espresso is darker than it looks. Its the color of a coffee bean.

TTS fits perfect. I encourage everyone to disregard any sizing advice Rancourt offers, because I have bought 2 pairs TTS and they have fit fine. Had I listened to them, I would have had shoes that were too small, as others have experienced.

The boots look narrower in person. They look narrower than timberlands.

A few nicks in the leather, no big deal, will try to brush them out.

The shell is not glossy like Alden's shell. Its more of a matte. I expected and would have preferred glossy.

Will post more pics and thoughts after they are broken in. This was just my initial reaction. Overall satisfied, but a little pissed that they didn't follow the directions. A little surprised about the darkness of espresso, and the finish of the shell. Not exactly what I had expected, but I'll still wear them. Probably not worth $675, more like $475. I understand they are hand made to order, but that is the price I would put on the final product. They don't really look like shell cordovan. I'm curious how they will crease.

BTW, that is a bright orange lining, just doesn't look it in the pic. Next pics will be under daylight, as its dark out now.

Last edited:

Calikid

Reaction score
Some Initial Thoughts:

Annoying that I asked for white stitching, and it said white stitching on the order, but they still used brown stitching. They will be hearing from me about that. They did the same thing to Calikid.

TTS fits perfect. I encourage everyone to disregard any sizing advice Rancourt offers, because I have bought 2 pairs TTS and they have fit fine. Had I listened to them, I would have had shoes that were too small, as others have experienced.

The shell is not glossy like Alden's shell. Its more of a matte. I expected and would have preferred glossy.

Will post more pics and thoughts after they are broken in. This was just my initial reaction. Overall satisfied, but a little pissed that they didn't follow the directions. A little surprised about the darkness of espresso, and the finish of the shell. Not exactly what I had expected, but I'll still wear them. Probably not worth $675, more like $475. I understand they are hand made to order, but that is the price I would put on the final product. They don't really look like shell cordovan. I'm curious how they will crease.

BTW, that is a bright orange lining, just doesn't look it in the pic. Next pics will be under daylight, as its dark out now.
They look great.... that issue about the stitching is irritating, Before wearing I would call Rancourt and speak to them about it. They may offer to take them back and remake them correctly.

Calikid

Reaction score
Some Initial Thoughts:

By the way, whether you keep them or they replace them with what you originally wanted, i think the shell is going to wear incredibly well and will develop an unbelievable patina. Mine is wearing well so far.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies Calikid, and thank you for answering all of my ridiculous questions a few weeks back and sending me the extra pics. If they look any different now after aging, can you post some pics for us to enjoy.

I'll take your advice and see if they can make em with white stitching before wearing them.

They also forgot to send me an extra set of laces which we discussed and was included on the invoice. Oh well. Will let everyone know what happens with the situation.

mcdecker1

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies Calikid, and thank you for answering all of my ridiculous questions a few weeks back and sending me the extra pics.  If they look any different now after aging, can you post some pics for us to enjoy.  

I'll take your advice and see if they can make em with white stitching before wearing them.

They also forgot to send me an extra set of laces which we discussed and was included on the invoice.  Oh well.  Will let everyone know what happens with the situation.

IMO, for the price you paid you shouldn't settle, even for minor details (i.e. laces). The stitching is definitely a big deal, because you're not getting the shoe you want / agreed to pay for.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful and a handsome pair of boots.

A little Venetian Cream and lots of brushing / buffing might bring up the shine if you want that. It's done wonders on my other shell.

I agree on the price. For the same price I can pick up Aldens, and, while they're not better made they have a lot more shapes / designs I can choose from (but not more color / sole / etc options) and there's a return or resale possibility that makes them hold their value better. I'd definitely look at Rancourt for shell boots at around $500, which would, I think, cover the difference in price of materials. That's why I'm looking at chromexcel or maybe those bulldog captoes.

Can you compare the fit of these vs. some other makers, like Alden? I'm not sure what my TTS is in Rancourt, since for me it's really about the width. I used to think I was always a 10.5D but I've found that in wider lasts a 10D fits well, or a 10E in more regular lasts, and my Eastland made in maine ranger mocs are a 9.5D!

Also, do you have the list of options for leather, sole, eyelets, stitching, etc from when you did MTO?

Thanks again!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Alden 9C Vans fit like a glove. These Rancourt 9.5D fit like a glove in the forefoot, but don't cup my heel quite like a 9C Van or Barrie does. Not sure if that helps any, probably not. Sounds like you might have unusually wide feet? These might be tough for you, as they are slightly narrow in the forefoot and only come in D width. The chromexel might stretch for you though. Not sure what other insight I can give. I'm 9.5 in sneakers and Timberlands, 9.5D in Gucci loafers. Not familiar with any of the shoes you mentioned.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sighted at Club Monaco:

Shell loafers. Did not see a price and didn't want to stick around to ask:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bakes - I agree with the others that a) those are some sharp looking boots and b) you should definitely contact them about the foul-up on the stitching.

As regarding the lack of glossiness of the shell, I would imagine you should be able to bring out the shine with some buffing. I've had some pair of shell Aldens arrive that seemed to have missed the final buffing and looked pretty dull but shined up just as I expected them too with a bit of elbow grease.

In related news... I just ordered my third pair of Rancourts - a pair of the Bedford chukkas in the dark olive Chromexcel. I'm planning on them being my go-to casual boot for the fall and winter, especially as I am getting tired of the weight (and all the eyelets) on my Alden Indy and Tanker boots.

jns425

Reaction score
True to size is tough to measure. My brannock is between a 7.5 and 8 and between an E and EE. I have a few pairs of AEs in 7.5 EEE, but in Rancourt I went with An 8 E. 8 was super tight.

Those boots are super nice looking! Enjoy! I agree with what everyone else said- the details are important. I asked for a 2nd pair of laces and they came with them.

I've been debating my next pair. I actually get much more use out of casual shoes like the beefrolls, but their Italian loafers look nice!

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really want a pair of the ranger mocs in green on a vibram sole...

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Hamilton boot or "bull dog leather" in general? I've had my eye on the 1000 Mile boot and want to know both how the boot compares and how the bull dog compares with CXL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads