1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

Good to know. I'm not surprised that they're super comfy for an average day, just as most of these moc-type shoes are. I just wonder if for real tramping about (not necessarily hiking, but imagine a day spent walking, probably an urban setting), one needs the greater structure of something like a work boot.

If I had the bucks, I'd pretty much snap up everything Rancourt and OSB made. I don't, so instead I wring my hands over getting precisely the best thing for a particular requirement.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

So I thought I'd check how much things will cost, and it looks like there's a little bump, but not necessarily $50. Here's the stuff I asked about:

Quote: Here's what they said:

Quote: Since the Venetian with the regular sole is $210 w/ brown cxl, it looks like there's a $40 bump there.

The #8 shell beefroll is $510 on the site, so that's $50 more, but it also involves adding a welt which is more work.

3. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

Honestly, if I could afford $510 shoes, I could afford $560. The price bumps seem appropriate.

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Interesting... Just this morning the price of the brown CXL venetians went from $210 to $220

While I agree that the bump for the beefrolls isn't out of line, a $50 bump on shoes in the $200-250 range is significant when the cost of materials and labor isn't going up. The no-cost custom order was one of Rancourt's biggest advantages, IMO. You can see from the original comment on this that it will affect orders, and it makes me less likely to want to experiment as well and more likely to just look at the stock versions they have, which aren't always my favorite compared to designs from other companies.

That said, even with the MTO surcharge they're often as cheap or cheaper than their competitors, but it certainly cuts into that advantage from my perspective, especially hearing here that Quoddy does custom orders for no extra charge.

5. ComfortablyDumb

ComfortablyDumb Senior member

Does anyone have any pictures of worn (a few months) ranger mocs in natural chromexcel? I just ordered a pair and I'm interested to see what they'll look like after some wear.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Not exactly the same but here are some Natural CXL Beefrolls after a year
    [​IMG]

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I think a lot of what natural CXL looks like depends on how it starts out, and there's some variation to that. There have been a lot of photos of natural CXL from Alden on that thread recently. Not necessarily the same thing, but check the gallery there. I think there's been some on the Epaulet thread, from Carmina this time. But all Horween CXL.

8. ComfortablyDumb

ComfortablyDumb Senior member

Great, thanks to both of you.

9. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

Without meaning to get personal, I feel compelled to reply. What someone can afford is beside the point. Would that be true of all your purchases--the price goes up 10 per cent, but so what, you can afford it, so the price bump seems appropriate? At what point does that band stretch to the breaking point? Surely if someone can afford $510 shoes, he has a lot of money to spend on discretionary items, so why not say that he can afford $800 shoes. I can afford $510 shoes, and if my bank account was lightened over night by $1000 or even $10,000 it wouldn't do me any personal harm. But I don't buy $500 shoes because I'll get more satisfaction out of doing something else with that money. Add 10 per cent and you've guaranteed that I won't even be tempted.

The same thing goes for $210 shoes and an increase of c. 25 per cent. I have a pair of Rancourt camp mocs that cost me $210 + iirc another $45 to ship to Australia. So if the cost goes up by $50, making it over $300 per pair for CXL, I won't be buying them. This is disappointing to me because I've been meaning to place an order for the Chili Latigo ranger mocs, but with the RHL sole. Sounds like that sole, which Rancourt had told me won't add to the price of the shoe, is now going to push the cost--due to a customisation fee--up towards $400 by the time I get them here. For that money, I'll wait till I'm in the US and look at shell Aldens or Allen Edmonds. The difference from Rancourt at $210 to Alden at $550 or so is enough to sell me on the former. The difference from $400 for Rancourts to $550 or even $600 is not enough to swing me toward the Rancourts: in fact, at that price I'm definitely going elsewhere. Timberlands at $75 (or less on Amazon) and shell Aldens at $600 both appeal to me a lot more than Rancourts Rangers in the $300s.

1 person likes this.
  10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Supply and demand. Rancourt will set and raise their prices as long as people keep buying. As the prices increase, some buyers will drop out. But if the brand remains desirable, other buyers will enter the market. Ultimately, to the individual customer, the shoes are worth whatever one is willing to pay. I think the dissatisfaction comes into play when the desire to purchase is strong but the appetite for the price point is weak. That is to say, I really want this but I don't want to pay that much.

1 person likes this.
  11. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Well I have I have ordered two pair of shell penny for the summer and with the recent increase in alden " try calling them and getting anything customed " 510 rancourt to 700 plus for alden in in brown shell

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

What are the details of your two make ups? I know one pair is espresso but I would be most interested in hearing about stitching, sole choice, etc. as well as about the second pair

13. Michael Haines

Well not a lot of customed on mine .

1st pair is Caramel Shell Penny beefroll " ships Monday" I prefer leather sole so I keep it with natural edge. I did ask for the vamp to be cut smooth.

2nd Espresso and again went leather sole with matching stitching. I debated because I like the look of contrasting stitching but in the end went matching. Same on the vamp cut smooth.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Awesome! I look forward to seeing them. My preference would have been matching stitching on the espresso as well.

My espresso ranger mocs ship Monday as well so it looks like a lot of good things leaving the factory tomorrow :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  15. Michael Haines

Please post pictures of the Rangers when you get them

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Will do! They may be here as soon Tuesday

17. grendel

grendel Senior member

What do you mean by "vamp cut smooth"?

If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for the espresso shell penny loafers?

18. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

Rancourt does pinking (zigzag) on the vamp and the plug of the shell penny loafer. It makes that mofo look like a badass triceratops.

19. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

These are absolutely fantastic looking. If I were in the market for another pair of casual boots, I could definitely go for something like this.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thanks so much! I am very pleased with them