RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Well, if they are dyeing the "Chocolate" then they should be able to adjust it to your preferences, no?

2. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

I heard same thing that they dye from natural shell.
    If they can custom dye it, it's superb.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I believe there was a Rancourt photo posted which showed shell in the process of being dyed green in house. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are therefore also dying their own dark brown shade. I personally like Alden Cigar, but would be happy to see a proprietary shade from Rancourt. And then let's hope they don't let us start trying to MTO shades of dye for shell... :)

Looks like we have a visual:

[​IMG]

I assume these must be yours, calikid.

And the description is "Blake boot in espresso shell cordovan, hand dyed here. Tempest outsole. True beauty"

Indeed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I didn't realize that they could be dyed after the fact like that. I thought that Horween dyed them as part of the tanning process.

Those boots are awesome. I thought Calkid said black stitching on the uppers, but I like the white. It will be hard for me to think of a reason not to get a pair like that. Other than that I'm signed up for this Alden MTO boot.

5. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

As rkusmant said, I believe they do dye from natural shell. But does that mean that "natural" shell is also an option? Or, more likely, natural shell with a clear coat?

And Frank is absolutely right, Alden cigar is great, but there is lots of room for more shades of rich brown shell!

The Blake boots in Espresso are fantastic. Is that a two tone with lighter shell on the uppers, or is the photo playing tricks on me. (Edit: Never mind, the other photo clearly shows it is a one-tone).

Bakes, this is just based on my limited understanding and guesswork. I think that Horween hand selects the Ravello, Cigar and Whiskey and that these shades more or less naturally (but rarely) occur within the horse butt population. They may dye these for finishing purposes, but the shade is there from the get go.

On the other hand, both color 8 and black are dyed. Perhaps just like Navy and Green they are dyed from "natural"? I'm not sure how many flavors of shell Horween actually produces, or if they are actually dyeing colors such as Navy and Green at their factory. It's an interesting question.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That just blew my mind!

Edit: Also, I was just perusing their facebook page, and they had a pic of a loafer that was natty cordovan, polished to a shine.
    [​IMG]

7. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Is that natural cordovan or tan?

My understanding of the rarer shades of cordovan may be wrong.

Most of you have probably seen this, but if you haven't.......

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

This is the caption: "Natural shell cordovan polished up to create this rich, beautiful Tan"

Also:

[​IMG]
    After / before hand finishing

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Ya, I did see that video a while back. Maybe they do some dying at the factory, and also offer natural shells for others to use with their own custom colors? Would make sense from a production stand point. Less efficient for them to produce so many different colors.

Can't stop thinking about those blake boots! Do you think its too much overlap to have a pair of those blakes and these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ I almost feel like these are a little more formal, despite the 360 welt. I feel like these could be worn with wool trousers, while the blakes are more condusive to jeans and corduroy.

Other than being dark brown cordovan boots with all eyelets and antique edge trim, there isn't too much similar about them. But than again, that is already a lot in common.

Thoughts?

I'll have to see the Blakes creased and in the wild before I can pull the trigger on them.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Re-lasting update. My loafers came in. They look great. The fit is OK. Just a little loose, but wearable. I had a choice between a "D" and a "B" width. I went with the "D". A "C" would be just right I think. Keep an eye out. They should be easy to spot at the airport.

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

How would one account for the difference between the Alden #8 shell and the #8 of other makers? I think the Alden is quite obviously more of an eggplant and is thus quite distinct from the more reddish burgundy that other makers (Rancourt included) call #8.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This is a common feature with shell - it often appears to change shade depending on the light. You'll see a lot of shell shoes where the different pieces of leather appear to be different shades, when in fact they are the same, and the light is playing tricks. I quite like it.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Alden puts some sort of extra "finish" on the #8. I'm not sure of the details of what they do exactly. You'll find a lot of discussion on this topic in the Allen Edmonds thread, for instance, where people are comparing the shades from Alden vs. AE.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Did you have them relasted in your "true size"? Did they charge you for the relasting?