RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

What's the markup for customizing features on a shoe?

2. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Nil, other than the cost of the specific features.

3. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Well that's pretty amazing.

4. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

this is exactly why I ordered two pairs in 3 months. :slayer: I guarantee I will order more in the future....LOL

5. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

I agree with your main point, but the fact is that shoes will have problems. I am wearing my Rancourt Camp Mocs in a chocolate CXL. I like them very much, but on the right shoe, about dead center (if you draw a line from front to back) there are two sort of hard things poking up through the inner liner. I assume they are the ends of hard nylon threads that have popped up and will eventually cause a hole in the liner. Fortunately and surprisingly, they don't interfere with the comfort of the shoe. More disconcertingly, on the inside of the very back of the shoe is a thread that runs from top to bottom, basically forming a seam where the inner lining comes together and sits against my heel. On the right shoe this seam is perfect, but on the left one, where the seam ties off at the bottom (roughly where the heel counter meets the bottom of the inner lining), there is no knot on the stitching, and the thread is such that I could not possibly tie it off. You can see this yellowish thread as it hangs down onto the footpad in the following picture. And if I gave the outside of the heel a gentle push you would see that the area just below where the knot should be is beginning to open up.

[​IMG]

I've had them for about three weeks, but again assume that this represents the weak point at which the shoes will eventually unravel. Unless I am mistaken, these shoes will not last as long as a $75 pair of Sebagos or Sperrys because of these issues. And I've never had a pair of AEs that didn't give me at least a decade of service, and in some cases 2 or 3. I'm sure most people would just send them back, but I already paid more than $40 to ship them to Australia, and don't want to pay another $40 or more to have this resolved. I'll have more tied up in shipping than I would need to pay for a pair of sale-priced shoes. I don't mean this as an attack on the company. In fact, I plan to place another order with them very soon. I only mean that they are still human and while we hold them in high regard, to over-estimate or over-claim what they can do doesn't help them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

6. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^the two pairs I have all came with slight problems with the leather sole.

the leather sole on my ranger moc shows slight split after about 1 week of wearing. I contact Kyle and he told me this will not interfere with wearing and they will fix it when I send it back for resole.

the stacked heel on my loafer is not completely attached to the leather sole and constantly makes a "squik" sound when I walk in them. This time I did not contact Kyle, because they delivered the shoes before the expected delivery date. However, one might argue that this is simply not an excuse for quality but like many have said, Rancourt shoes are hand-made and there will be some mistake in some of them.

After all, I am still confident in Rancourt and will order more in the future.

7. agnyc

agnyc Member

I did! Thanks for the recommendation.

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Ranger moc in brown CXL.

I am hoping to wear them as a casual SoCal winter shoe with socks.

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^Sounds good. That should work well for you.

10. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

It is true..... Chocolate Brown Shell Cordovan.... my new Blake boots were shipped today so I may have some photos to share sometime late next week....

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Can't wait to see those. You must be pretty excited about that shipping notice. :slayer:

12. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

I am excited, not only to finally get the boots but see what the brown shell actually looks like....

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

My suspicion is that it is the same as cigar. I once had a conversation with a local Alden retailer in which we were discussing Alden alternatives for Horween shell. He mentioned that other companies aren't able to use the color names Cigar, Ravello, and Whiskey, as they belong to Alden, not Horween. Not sure if this is true, but it makes sense, being that Rancourt calls that Whiskey color "Caramel". I think they used to call it "Light Tan" but recently changed it.

Again, don't quote me on this.

14. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ I am not sure about this, but my understanding is that Whiskey, Cigar and Ravello are limited to Alden: not only the names, but also the actual shades of shell. The Rancourt "Caramel", for example, is similar to Whiskey, but I believe that it is a different color.

Also, I'm wondering if the "chocolate" shell is dyed like the navy and green shell? Whatever the case, I'm sure it is a wonderful shade. Will be interesting to see if it's closer to the darker Alden Cigar or the lighter brown that RL uses on the C&J made shoes. Chocolate sounds more like Cigar, I'm thinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012