Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

To be honest I have no idea what the color is... I am hoping it is nice... I will post pics as soon as I get them.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I was going to say "Woah, Woah, Woah, STOP THE CLOCK!.. Chocolate Shell?" but somebody already beat me to it.

The nickel eyelettes would probably look fine with with whatever chocolate shell is. If the MTO boots in my avatar don't happen, I might have to order what you're having. I might have to order them regardless.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Indeed. This is trouble. I feel it will be hard to resist chocolate shell.

Thank you sir!

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I just placed my first order too. How long should I expect them to ship to California. 3 weeks or less?

5. FrankCowperwood

What did you order? Details, please.

To your question, it seems like some items/leathers go through production faster than others. For example, a CXL loafer might go through quickly, whereas shell may be slower from my limited experience. They stick pretty closely to the promised delivery schedules.

6. agnyc

agnyc Member

Just placed an order for my 3rd pair of Rancourts. Can't wait to get them. There customer service is top notch and Taryn is the best.

7. HarryM

HarryM Member

Hello,

Just out of interest how long is it usual to wait for a reply back after the initial first enquiry?

Thanks

8. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ I'd give them a call on the phone.

9. HarryM

HarryM Member

well without sounding tight, I really don't want to be spending money on international calls as I'm in the UK :)

10. FrankCowperwood

Understand this. Skype or similar?

Did you go with #8 shell?

11. HarryM

HarryM Member

Thanks

12. jah786

jah786 Senior member

My first Rancourt MTO arrived. Venetian loafer, medium brown pebbled leather, lined, with brick boat sole. The quality and feel of the shoes is excellent. The pebbled leather is great. I did have an issue with sizing - I ordered 10.5 B instead of 10.5 D based on how my Rancourt for BB pair fit, but I think the lining and different leather changed things to point where they were too narrow. So I emailed Rancourt and Taryn replied. I sent them back and Rancourt is going to re-last them on a wider last and put them in the dryer to stretch the leather out a bit. She also asked if they narrow in the forefoot or the heel - They were only narrow in the forefoot. This is an example of superb customer service. Provided people are willing put in a little effort to communicate their size and fit and work through the process, they should not fear the Made To Order process. They are fantastic shoes and I'm already plotting my next purchase, probably a pair of dress chukkas.

and did I read that right, chocolate shell?!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Nice loafers, and thanks for the write-up.

It's too bad that more companies don't take quality and service as serious as Rancourt. Notice how you never hear anyone complain about manufacturing defects? Proof that hand-made shoes can be perfect, and that flaws and defects DON'T have to come with the territory. Granted Alden probably has a larger scale of production, but it seems as if they've made a conscious business decision to increase revenue at the expense of quality, which is inevitably at the expense of the consumer who ends up with compromised product. While Rancourt is out to establish a good reputation and make a name for themselves, Alden is resting on their laurels and depleting the good reputation that they acquired over the past century.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of being charged top-dollar for a half-assed job, and not just when it comes to shoes. Seems like almost everything now-a-days.

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. As I typed this someone posted in the Alden thread that the sole detached at the welt from the upper of their Rancourt Penny Loafers. Still I think my point remains valid.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

14. HarryM

HarryM Member

Cheers Frank, I'll try and muster up some courage and try to break my irrational fear of the telephone and I don't even know if I have a fear of skype....I imagine I have though.

BTW I'm asking for something similar to that of the Portland Dry Goods fella, just though I'd share...

15. FrankCowperwood

Really great venetians and I like that brown/brick combination. Do I see correctly that the camp sole is cut with something of a heel? Now that I've heard this talk of chocolate shell (and sort of hoping it is rumor or that one shell I don't care for at all), I am envisioning this loafer of yours with that shell.

Enjoy wearing these when they are back in your hands properly sized.

And I do think someone got a pair of mocs with that heel stitching a little askew somewhere earlier in this thread.

But I agree and I honestly do think that Rancourt service and finish are top notch. It makes it a pleasure to buy from them.