• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

GaiusM

Reaction score
I have two Ranger Mocs, 10.5E, and a pair of penny loafers, 10E, all in CXL. Rangers fit great. Loafers did at first, however I wore them throughout the winter with thick socks and now they have stretched so much there is an enormous amount of heel slip when barefoot, in no-shows or in regular socks. They fit perfectly in thick socks.
How would I alleviate this in future orders? Loafers in 10D? Is there any way to salvage them for summer, say with heel grips or tongue pads? If I were to get a pair in cordovan how much stretch should I expect? Any advice or experience with similar issues would be appeciated.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I have two Ranger Mocs, 10.5E, and a pair of penny loafers, 10E, all in CXL. Rangers fit great. Loafers did at first, however I wore them throughout the winter with thick socks and now they have stretched so much there is an enormous amount of heel slip when barefoot, in no-shows or in regular socks. They fit perfectly in thick socks.
How would I alleviate this in future orders? Loafers in 10D? Is there any way to salvage them for summer, say with heel grips or tongue pads? If I were to get a pair in cordovan how much stretch should I expect? Any advice or experience with similar issues would be appeciated.

Great question. I am not sure there is a single solution. For the sloppy Loafers I would try a Dr Scholls odor eater insert and a tongue pad. The odor eater will add a little cushion, take up some volume and the tongue pad will push your foot back in the shoe a bit. You could also try a Happy Step Cotton Insert.

I use these Happy Step Cotton Inserts in all my barefoot wear and Rancourts that don't have full sock liners.

The thought of a Ranger Moc in Shell appeals to me. they are a custom order and not returnable so you have to be ok with risking the fit and cost. I'm not quite there yet.

Going forward, you may want to get another pair of the Loafers in 10E and only wear them sockless. Use the other pair with socks in the winter.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Just received my trusty Ranger Mocs back from Maine with some fresh new soles, all ready for summer.
EF13F366-7C67-49BF-9657-0B1A7AAFF02A.jpeg

DooDahMan

Reaction score
I received my Crowdfund Baxters today which are beautiful! But while taking some pics of those and some Sherman Camp Mocs I got a month or so ago I noticed a possible issue with the Shermans. The midsole seems to be cracking/ flaking around the stitching near the toe. I am pretty sure that stitching is just decorative but just want to double-check that this is not a structural issue, or anything to worry about. Thanks!
0413211625_HDR.jpg

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying with all this detail! I nearly missed it with all the notifications today. Incidentally, I inquired with Rancourt about the "tucson" color since I'd noticed a pair from a few years ago while browsing images last night. It seems to be distinct from cognac, which is also quite nice and probably the other color that I most prefer. The other contender is olive, which also seems interesting but perhaps slightly less versatile than the other two colors and I am not sure it's available either. Actually, the cognac is probably the safest color given the wide color variation in tucson, assuming it's even available.

This is tucson...

This is the olive
View attachment 1590362
That olive is gorgeous
Those are my Olive kicks. They only look green in the picture. In real life, they look brown, like chocolate bison. I've got the same make up in Chocolate, Cognac, and Olive. I agree with BAK, the peanut color is not that attractive. I'd say the chocolate is the most versatile, believe it or not. The cognac is cool, but I think the red undertones prevent it form working as well with some other colors. Not that it prevents it from working with other colors, but the brown just clicks better.

I had the olive pair MTO back in Aug or Sep, so they still use it.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my Crowdfund Baxters today which are beautiful! But while taking some pics of those and some Sherman Camp Mocs I got a month or so ago I noticed a possible issue with the Shermans. The midsole seems to be cracking/ flaking around the stitching near the toe. I am pretty sure that stitching is just decorative but just want to double-check that this is not a structural issue, or anything to worry about. Thanks! View attachment 1592524

you’re good ?

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m fairly certain my they’ll re-last them for you during a full refurbish (might have changed since I inquired). That way you can try a 10D and avoid dropping extra money on a new pair. I find by design loafers will be sloppier than their laced counterpart after stretching given the space created at your long instep (floppy heel).

ill also add heel grips are never the solution. Tongue pads 100% of the time. These are my favorite.
pedag Supra Tongue Shoe Pad | Soft Leather and Memory Foam Shoe Padding - German Handmade, Large / X-Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RSG1XK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_8RHAAB13JX1RN68K3V71

GaiusM

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice to both who have given it.
I wasn't clear with one of my questions. How much does shell cordovan stretch? Never had shoes in it, only CXL and various other leathers. Particularly in loafers as I'm considering a pair of penny loafers in shell.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I wasn't clear with one of my questions. How much does shell cordovan stretch? Never had shoes in it, only CXL and various other leathers. Particularly in loafers as I'm considering a pair of penny loafers in shell.

Very little. It’s safest to assume that your shell shoes won’t stretch at all.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree with @barutanseijin that they will stretch very little if at all. My cxl beefrolls became unwearable after they stretched but my shell model is still perfectly wearable. Both have roughly the same number of wears.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Just received my trusty Ranger Mocs back from Maine with some fresh new soles, all ready for summer.
View attachment 1592187

At what point did you decide it was time for a new sole? My '17 camp mocs--which I wear more than any other casual shoe--are still going strong but certainly showing some wear on the sole.

I've replaced leather soles over the years but never a camp sole. Not sure when it's time to get it done.

PXL_20210414_125936292.PORTRAIT.jpg

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At what point did you decide it was time for a new sole? My '17 camp mocs--which I wear more than any other casual shoe--are still going strong but certainly showing some wear on the sole.

I've replaced leather soles over the years but never a camp sole. Not sure when it's time to get it done.

View attachment 1592829
I'd wait until it starts separating from the shoes, or maybe sooner if it looks bad on foot. Definitely doesn't look like you need to resole soon.

DooDahMan

Reaction score
you’re good ?
Thank you! I figured I was but wanted to confirm before they start to see heavy use in warm weather! Damn I love Rancourt. Still have black CXL Beefrolls, Chrompak Venetian, and Chromepak 1967 Boots on order!

Canadianguy

Reaction score

View attachment 1592829

I tend to wear out my heels very unevenly which makes the need for recrafting more frequent. In this case, I actually wanted to change the type of sole as well from one of the Lactea Hevea to a classic camp moc sole. This was the first time I resoled these shoes after about 4 years of wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads