• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better lighting.

88F828AB-AB2C-4526-A1DA-FF72594F385B.jpeg

E1F470FF-4151-42C6-B29F-9CE087256C77.jpeg

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New arrival today from the bay:
View attachment 1162574 View attachment 1162573
Russell boot in Essex.

The Lactae Hevea soles are absurdly comfortable. There’s a tiny bit of pinky toe pinch in TTS, but I think the softness of the leather will make them very forgiving.

These are barely worn.

Please post often, have been very intereted in how essex ages!!

(Nice pick up, how do they fit?)

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post often, have been very intereted in how essex ages!!

(Nice pick up, how do they fit?)
Thanks. They do pinch the pinky a bit in my brannock size, which is disconcerting. I’m trying to figure out if they will work long term or if I need to move them along at some point.

Anyone have experience with the Acadia last?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No they don't. Rancourt only has comparable 114/800/511. And if you ask them, they will tell you they are not the same as the AE lasts. One thing to remember is that Rancourt is much smaller scale than AE and can't cater to as wide an audience. I'm grateful they have the offerings and MTO ability they have though!

Wow. I dropped GS off my radar, so I hadn't heard they're finally going to get wider than E! I might have to check in with them again. When is that supposed to drop?

So for what it's worth, I've never tried anything made by Rancourt but I am VERY familiar with the 114 and 800 handsewn lasts from AE. In case people find this helpful, I'll give you a detailed breakdown of my experience with each -

The 114 last is about as true to length, true to width, true to everything last you'll ever come across. This usually leads to two conclusions - you go true to brannock, you fit it exactly, and you're good to go; or it doesn't fit exactly, meaning something is off. It's too short. It's too narrow. The vamp hits you in an uncomfortable spot for instep. In any case, you attempt to "fix" it - you size up in width. You size up 0.5 sizes in length. Whatever you do, you ruin the fit entirely. The shoes become too long. The heelcup becomes too wide and you slip like crazy. I personally hate the 114 last as I basically fall into the second category mentioned above. So what are the silver linings? You CAN size up in length if the shoes include heavy amounts of padding or poron (i.e. like with the Nashua). Alternatively, AE's 2592 last (which runs just a tiny smidgeon longer) should take care of the length issues.

The 800 last feels virtually identical to the 114 with an important exception; the vamp is just a little bit higher such that it shouldn't hurt a high instep person as badly. If your only issue with the 114 is a low vamp, the 800 should fix that. I have a pair of Maxfields in 7D that hurt the tops of my feet after about 8 hours of wear. Conversely, the older Sanibel (not the newer one on the 555) causes me no issues even after a full day. And just to make the comparison like the Nashua, The BB Kenwood I wear comfortably in a 7.5D, and the vamp still bothers me less.

Hope this helps. I can go on and on about AE's handsewn lasts but usually no one cares about anything but welts.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rancourt newbie here. Interested in Camp moc- last 800. Sizing recommendation?
Reference
- Alden Barrie 6.5D
- Alden Leydon 7D
- AE 7 last 7D
- CP 39
- EG (in 606 and 202) 6.5UK
Thanks in advance

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True to brannock size works for me. I HAD TO use a shoe horn to get them on when they were new.
Thank You. Simple enough with Brannock then i’ll go with 7D.

Coffee-Lover

Reaction score
Last summer was my introduction to loafers...tried a few and by far the best-fitting were these cxl beef rolls. Back to them today— View attachment 1166235

Beautiful shoes. I'm in the market for my first pair of Rancourt's. I'm struggling between the beef roll loafers with Lactea Hevea soles or a pair of Ranger Mocs with Lactea Hevea soles. I wish I could afford both, but its not possible.

I'd love to hear more about how you wear your loafers. They look great with the pants and socks in the photo that you posted. Do you wear the same pair without socks?

Pedlar

Reaction score
Beautiful shoes. I'm in the market for my first pair of Rancourt's. I'm struggling between the beef roll loafers with Lactea Hevea soles or a pair of Ranger Mocs with Lactea Hevea soles. I wish I could afford both, but its not possible.

I'd love to hear more about how you wear your loafers. They look great with the pants and socks in the photo that you posted. Do you wear the same pair without socks?

Thanks -- I do not wear them without socks but I think they'd be quite comfortable that way, especially if you set out from the start to wear them barefoot. I think the trick with the CXL loafers is to follow Rancourt's advice and go a half size down, then let them stretch to whichever way you want to wear them. I'm still amazed at the initial break-in -- they were very, very tight, then over what seemed like just an hour loosened.

Early on I took them on a four or five-day trip where I wore them daily and they settled into what seems to be my perfect loafer fit: snug but not too tight across the arch and with no slip in the heel. I've been cautious with shoe trees and even wearing anything more than thin, summer socks because I don't want them to stretch farther. So far so good. I'm hoping to get another pair in a different color and with a leather sole for a slightly less casual look.

Pic when new:
DC104014-C798-4233-AAE4-ED16C28F740E.jpeg

And I have to say the Lactea Hevea sole is great on a ranger moc too...
F2ACAD71-7B7D-4244-9C6D-DD30EB42E5F1.jpeg

Last edited:

jnik

Reaction score
Stopped into the new Portland store yesterday. They had a very nice selection of shoes on display, including a few shell models. They also had examples of all the soles they offered. Having this place close by may be bad news for the wallet. I put one new pair on order yesterday.

emptym

Reaction score
These have gotten a lot of use the past 7 yrs, mostly for walking the kids to school or running errands:
IMG_5829.jpeg

They're peanut suede venetians lined in deerskin. Been reheeled a couple times. Soles are starting to separate from the welt, but otherwise in good shape.

jajordan378

Reaction score
Does anyone have either of the dirigo boots? (Sage or Chocolate) I’m contemplating pulling the trigger but would love to see some more on feet photos and feedback to the fit/quality. Thanks!

TH3515

Reaction score
95EC9FD1-F412-425C-830D-D0839AA0A3C8.jpeg

Taking my old Rancourt x Brooks Brothers boat-mocs to the beach. Stromboli volcano in the misty background.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads