1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

It's a lot harder than it should be. I catch myself thinking about buying a shoe when I know I've tried it on and it's not an ideal fit. I was close to buying some Tricker Stows since I love the way they look in certain colors/leathers but I just know they will likely not be wide enough so it's just going to be a hassle.

For my price point and wide, flat feet AE is the only brand right now that I can fit in decently and afford.

When I look at other brands they either don't offer 3E or it's just one or two lasts with a wide fit like Carmina.

2. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Don't think Carmina's EEE is equal to the EEE you're thinking...it's more like an American E...Their E and EE fit like American Ds.

3. Genericuser1

That is good to know and disappointing. A lot of things can affect fit I know but length and width should be some sort of standard.

I'm waiting for Grant Stone to launch their 3E widths and I'll give one a try. Wyatt was nice enough to provide me with measurements which I think may be a bit narrow however, he said if I can fit in an AE 65 3E then I'd be able to fit in a GS Leo 3E.

Now to throw things off more I can fit fairly well into a Doc Marten 1460 boot (and some others) or a Skechers boot (I bought a lot of boots years ago because it was all that ever fit well) and they are all D width.

It's things like that, that make me want to try other brands even if they don't offer 3E. Since most (maybe all I'm not sure) of Rancourt's lasts are identical to or derived from AE lasts it would be a good bet that I could estimate fit.

Does Rancourt offer anything based on AE's 201 or 1757? Most I see are 114, 800 and 511.

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

Think we have to work with his whole metric vs imperial thing first. Standard widths in Europe are just a different standard.

5. madhat

No they don't. Rancourt only has comparable 114/800/511. And if you ask them, they will tell you they are not the same as the AE lasts. One thing to remember is that Rancourt is much smaller scale than AE and can't cater to as wide an audience. I'm grateful they have the offerings and MTO ability they have though!

Wow. I dropped GS off my radar, so I hadn't heard they're finally going to get wider than E! I might have to check in with them again. When is that supposed to drop?

6. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Fit is KING!

7. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

I would trust what Wyatt says about GS measurements and fit. Guy knows his stuff.

8. Genericuser1

I believe it is sometime in early Fall so September time frame. If you search EEE in the GS thread Wyatt goes into detail of when and what items will be in the first round of EEE width.

So has anyone else wasted a lot of time on the Rancourt custom page trying out all sorts of combinations? I must have killed 30 or more minutes today.

9. Aenonymous

Aenonymous Senior Member

Where did you get the info that they're not the same, only comparable? Pretty sure they're identical. Why would they differ?

10. madhat

I agree, but when I point blank asked them they denied they're the same.

11. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior Member

Olive CXL Ranger Mocs, had these almost 3 years now.
    0EFB7C91-4CBD-486F-9EFB-2F3B54C4EA90.jpeg

12. jnik

jnik Senior Member

A set of Ranger Mocs is on my list for this summer

13. ccpl14

ccpl14 Senior Member

New arrival today from the bay:
    EFDCF0D6-68D0-459D-B791-AA9EBBEBE7DF.jpeg 97A21D66-D95D-4CE3-8EEF-058C68220DC7.jpeg
    Russell boot in Essex.

The Lactae Hevea soles are absurdly comfortable. There’s a tiny bit of pinky toe pinch in TTS, but I think the softness of the leather will make them very forgiving.

These are barely worn.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

14. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

I like those a lot, great color and great boot. Good snag!

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Natural shell pinch penny loafers today.

65B3767A-92F6-488E-BBC2-BD1842AFA68A.jpeg

24DB2A67-2F28-4F14-9C3B-83F35E0448EE.jpeg