• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Plain toe chukkas are apparently now available for MTO (according to a recent comment by Kyle on FB).

Very tempted. Also really like these.

Must control myself.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yeah that is definitely very tempting when I saw that on facebook. those peanut suede just grows on me the more I look at it.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a group-MTO rate as opposed to individual MTO?

Looking for a green chromexcel ranger moc... who's with me?

cloudyskies

Reaction score
My snuff suede boots arrived yesterday, right on the projected shipping date. Gotta say, they're pretty amazing and comfortable as hell. I must admit that I freaked out a little when I saw that picture of the peanut suede boots on the Rancourt Facebook page, since the make is exactly the same as mine, except for the color of the suede, and both pairs shipped out on the same day. For a second, I was worried that they mixed up the MTO, but it looks like it was just a coincidence (although that peanut color is very nice).

In terms of fit, for me they're true to size, and are a bit snug right now. I'm sure that they'll open up with wear, but these actually fit tighter than the ranger mocs I have, which surprised me since Kyle told me that they're built on the same last and because my rangers are lined while these are not.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ Great looking boots. The suede looks great, and perfect for fall. And it sounds like the sizing will work great, since these will surely give a bit.

I wonder if the "peanut" suede comment on Kyle's FB page was a mistake, because these look like the exact same boots. These seem to be a pretty light manifestation of snuff suede, maybe Kyle just assumed they were peanut......

Last edited:

P Hudson

Reaction score

Congratulations on your new Rancourts. Post some photos.
Are these camp mocs CXL? If so, they should have a nice amount of give in them. I'd image the other calf/cow leathers Rancourt uses do too. I just don't have experience with them. I hope they mold to fit promptly.

Happy to oblige.

These are the Gilman Camp Moc in Brown CXL, exactly as listed on their website.

These are, as the site indicates, their version of a driving moc. In a sense, that undersells it imo. But it does leave me wondering which of their offerings would be most appropriate for a day on your feet--the sort of thing you'd wear to a museum, the zoo or to watch a football game. Is that when the ranger moc shines, or is that relatively unconstructed as well? I like these so much that I will probably order something else. Since I can wear a fairly casual shoe with a jacket and khakis almost every day, but spend many hours standing and walking, I'm wondering which way to go.

Last edited:

prozach1576

Reaction score

My snuff suede boots arrived yesterday, right on the projected shipping date. Gotta say, they're pretty amazing and comfortable as hell. I must admit that I freaked out a little when I saw that picture of the peanut suede boots on the Rancourt Facebook page, since the make is exactly the same as mine, except for the color of the suede, and both pairs shipped out on the same day. For a second, I was worried that they mixed up the MTO, but it looks like it was just a coincidence (although that peanut color is very nice).

In terms of fit, for me they're true to size, and are a bit snug right now. I'm sure that they'll open up with wear, but these actually fit tighter than the ranger mocs I have, which surprised me since Kyle told me that they're built on the same last and because my rangers are lined while these are not.

Excellent. That is the exact make-up I have been planning on getting...glad to know what they'll look like. The snuff suede looks lighter there than I have seen it in some pictures.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

I read that article when it first came out and that wasn't too surprise to me because HK and JP is more established than China and Taiwan in the sense of fashion. Korea I do not know so I will not comment on something that I don't know. Moreover, HK was ruled by GB for 99 years so the influence of Western style is definitely there. Japan I believe is one of the biggest Asian country that love and endorse all high-end US made or Europe made fashion designer brand. Only using the word "fashion" to carry out what I am trying to say but the Rancourt's shoes are just classics that will never go out of style.
Interesting I thought that Plain-toe chukka was available for a while? is it a new style?

In Japan, the handsewn ticks at least two big boxes: native and ivy. Native American designs, items and fabrics are very popular here. For example, Ortega's vests from Chimayo, NM are a common sight.

The handsewn ticks the native box. It also ticks the very very popular "take ivy" box.

I think Rancourt could actually sell a much larger number of shoes here, especially with the bright colors they have recently introduced. A Rancourt MTO "shoe bar" in Japan would be highly successful methinks.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Received a very detailed and helpful response from Taryn King--newly in charge of MTOs at Rancourt--concerning my inquiry about a camp moc / string loafer. Taryn is definitely on top of the MTOs!

Since there was interest in hybrid camp moc / loafers (and Taryn stated that there have been requests for similar makeups), and since the mail was packed with info of more general interest, I'll share it below.

My request was for a camp moc similar to the Carmina String Loafer.

Taryn sent a pic of a tassel moc that very nearly matches the string loafer, and informed me that the tassels can be swapped for matching laces as on the string loafer.

Inquires followed by response in italics.

1) Blind eyelets? Definitely

2) Matched stitching? Yes.

3) Shorter plug (i.e. on the shoe in the photo, the plug does not extend all the way to the front of the shoe)?
The picture you have sent is of a welted shoe, which is a line we are working on and plan on releasing some welted boots for our fall line. However, right now we don’t have the specific style you are looking for, it’s a common request and we are going to be developing this shoe as part of our welted line. The welt is why the moc toe stitch comes up higher on the foot, unfortunately right now it’s not in our handsewing capabilities.

4) Chiseled last (as in photo)?
I would put this on the 555 last, it’s not going to be quite as chiseled as your original picture, but it is the most narrow toe we offer.....Also, take a look at the venetian loafers on our site. The plug comes up a bit higher and cuts in on the sides for a look similar to the original picture you sent, we could do this with these shoes as well.

5) Matched laces as in the photo? Absolutely.

6) "Rolled English Moc" Stitch (as in photo)? At this point we aren’t doing a rolled stitch, but hopefully in the future we will offer the exact shoe you had originally attached.

7) I would like the Tempest outsoles on these. Ok for a camp moc? This would work, however we are out of the tempest at this point, we have instead been substituting a “rope” sole which I have also attached a picture of. Please let me know if you would also like this sole.

Taryn also stated that they do use the same lasts for the Rancourt and their production for other brands. Apparently they have a total of 5 different lasts, but the different lasts are regularly used on any model.

I will be placing an order for these, but still not sure about the soles. Rope soles vs. the soles on the Venetian.

Hope this is helpful.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My bet is that those boots in the Rancourt photo are yours, peanut vs. snuff color aside. Anyway, great looking boots. Enjoy.

Happy to oblige.
These are the Gilman Camp Moc in Brown CXL, exactly as listed on their website.
These are, as the site indicates, their version of a driving moc. In a sense, that undersells it imo. But it does leave me wondering which of their offerings would be most appropriate for a day on your feet--the sort of thing you'd wear to a museum, the zoo or to watch a football game. Is that when the ranger moc shines, or is that relatively unconstructed as well? I like these so much that I will probably order something else. Since I can wear a fairly casual shoe with a jacket and khakis almost every day, but spend many hours standing and walking, I'm wondering which way to go.

Thanks for the photo. Very nice. A hand-sewn classic. Even with all the MTO options, I find myself drawn to many of the styles already on the site. Maybe it's just the power of a concrete image over the necessity to imagine a shoe not shown, but there are a lot of nice ones.

As to what might be more of an all day shoe, I think the ranger moc is a good bet since it laces up to offer more support. You might also consider the RLH or the plantation crepe. Those should be much more comfortable. I don't know how the leather/rubber combo soles offered wear, but others can speak to that. Maybe even go for a mid boot to get even more support. I don't think any of these shoes are going to be too structured by nature.

Received a very detailed and helpful response from Taryn King--newly in charge of MTOs at Rancourt--concerning my inquiry about a camp moc / string loafer. Taryn is definitely on top of the MTOs!
Since there was interest in hybrid camp moc / loafers (and Taryn stated that there have been requests for similar makeups), and since the mail was packed with info of more general interest, I'll share it below.
My request was for a camp moc similar to the Carmina String Loafer.

Taryn sent a pic of a tassel moc that very nearly matches the string loafer, and informed me that the tassels can be swapped for matching laces as on the string loafer.

Inquires followed by response in italics.
1) Blind eyelets? Definitely

2) Matched stitching? Yes.

3) Shorter plug (i.e. on the shoe in the photo, the plug does not extend all the way to the front of the shoe)?
The picture you have sent is of a welted shoe, which is a line we are working on and plan on releasing some welted boots for our fall line. However, right now we don’t have the specific style you are looking for, it’s a common request and we are going to be developing this shoe as part of our welted line. The welt is why the moc toe stitch comes up higher on the foot, unfortunately right now it’s not in our handsewing capabilities.

4) Chiseled last (as in photo)?
I would put this on the 555 last, it’s not going to be quite as chiseled as your original picture, but it is the most narrow toe we offer.....Also, take a look at the venetian loafers on our site. The plug comes up a bit higher and cuts in on the sides for a look similar to the original picture you sent, we could do this with these shoes as well.

5) Matched laces as in the photo? Absolutely.

6) "Rolled English Moc" Stitch (as in photo)? At this point we aren’t doing a rolled stitch, but hopefully in the future we will offer the exact shoe you had originally attached.

7) I would like the Tempest outsoles on these. Ok for a camp moc? This would work, however we are out of the tempest at this point, we have instead been substituting a “rope” sole which I have also attached a picture of. Please let me know if you would also like this sole.

Taryn also stated that they do use the same lasts for the Rancourt and their production for other brands. Apparently they have a total of 5 different lasts, but the different lasts are regularly used on any model.
I will be placing an order for these, but still not sure about the soles. Rope soles vs. the soles on the Venetian.
Hope this is helpful.

These will be excellent and very unique Rancourts. When they put them up on the site at some point, you'll say you helped create them... :) I'm very interested in what's coming with welted shoes. I like the hand sewn offerings very much, but I also like Rancourt as a concept, so anything new and different is welcome.

Do you think the venetian soles might be too thin? They look that way to me. Rope or, stock permitting, tempest would be my choice for a more all purpose loafer.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love the green shell moc ranger available, too, but not willing to shell (pun) out that much for what amounts to a casual shoe.

Meant to reply to this as well... Green CXL ranger moc will be an excellent show. The price really isn't too bad for what you are getting to begin with (and not sure they do any kind of group pricing, though I've never seen the idea raised before). I say go for the green ranger mocs.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kashiwa, that was a lot of very helpful information for MTO. Your new shoes sounds like a winner!

here's the sole that I got for my loafer when I was informed that the tempest sole is OOS. It's called dot blocker sole, which I ended up using. I will report the grip compare to the tempest sole when I get it.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score

These will be excellent and very unique Rancourts. When they put them up on the site at some point, you'll say you helped create them... :) I'm very interested in what's coming with welted shoes. I like the hand sewn offerings very much, but I also like Rancourt as a concept, so anything new and different is welcome.
Do you think the venetian soles might be too thin? They look that way to me. Rope or, stock permitting, tempest would be my choice for a more all purpose loafer.

From Taryn's mail, it looks like there have been a number of requests for camp moc / sleek loafer hybrids (tassels and ties). I'm happy to be part of the group pushing this design forward, and very excited about this MTO. But I guess any claims to originality are quashed by my shameless copy of the Armoury's string loafer!

Also very interested in the welted line. I love the look of a welted shoe, but I'm wondering if it comes at a price (i.e. the loss of some of the comfort of the handsewn wrap around foot construction)?

The Venetian soles may indeed be too thin. My biggest concern is that I want (need really) something with some grip. I'm not really a fan of leather soles. Too many slippery situations, too much wet weather. I prefer the Tempest over the Rope and may wait til they are back in stock. What do you think about re-soling with Dainite down the road?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads