RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thanks for the testimonials all! I figured that they are worth the premium over sperry's, but was looking for that last little bit of confirmation. A boat like this looks like it requires an exceptional boat shoe. He can still wear his sperry's while he's washing the car.

Usually a boat out of water is one of the most unattractive things IMO, but this one is good looking even on the trailer. He used to drive boats like this on a lake in Canada during the summer when he was a teenager. Now he is about to retire, so he is reliving that part of his youth. He is having a bigger motor put in and extra coats of varnish to make it suitable for saltwater where he lives now, so it won't be ready till September. We used to have a fiberglass speed boat when I was growing up, but I've never been in one like this. I hope to make it home to check it out if I can. I'm also going to give him genuine Chris Craft dock lines, fenders, pennants, ect. along with the shoes, so he'll have everything he needs to enjoy it properly.

He does enjoy fine things, but not to the extent that I do. Like he has cordovan shoes, but covers up the patina with polish and just doesn't have the same eye for detail that I do.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I missed the part where you mentioned this was a mahogony cris craft.

fuck me running.
    you're a terrible son if you buy your dad a pair of sperry's.
    oh, and do him a favor and bin the polish he uses on his cordo while you're at it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

A little renomat will take the excess polish of the shell.

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Haha, I wasn't going to get him sperry's, I was just debating whether to get him the Rancourts in addition to all the other boating accessories. Its a 19 foot 1955 Chris Craft Capri. We are trying to come up with a name still. I had a few good ideas. He had a few also, but my sisters quickly dismissed them. They are disappointed that he didn't get a boat that seats more people so that they can invite all their friends. I just want him to do whatever makes him happy because he has been an outstanding father. Thats why I don't intervene on the polishing technique that he uses on his cordovan shoes. He already has two daughters telling him what to do.

Sorry if I turned this into a boat thread. Now back to shoes.

5. mothball

mothball Senior member

Good for you, man. Lovely boat, and it's kind of you to be thinking of gift ideas.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^^^^ Holy. Christmas. That boat...:slayer: It looks immaculate. It seems like there should be another word for it. Such panache.

That is going to be a joy for him to tool around in. Good for him, and something like that's worth a detour in any thread. Next, post a photo of some nice Rancourt boat shoes in that thing. :nodding:

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Just got them last Friday. Plan to put them in heavy rotaton and I'll report on the sole. I'm optimistic that it will be very comfortable.

Thanks and I'll post some more photos once I've worn them a bit.

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

no, but you can do a request to have any number on yours. Kyle confirmed this with me. I will probably put my own number on it when I order my next pair.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm also curious about the RLH. Do you have anything on the crepe sole? Would be interested in a comparison.

10. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

gonna put my phone number next time, just in case....

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Here's an article that takes apart a pair of Bass Weejuns and a pair of JM Weston loafers and shows how they differ in construction. Not the brands you're looking at, but I imagine a similar comparison would apply to Sperry vs. Rancourt. Worth the difference in cost? I don't know.

http://nymag.com/guides/everything/shoes/27345/

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

:rotflmao:

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

You're going to have these for a long time, so better use your SSN instead!

14. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I've got a pair of the Rancourt suede chukkas on the crepe sole and a pair of ranger mocs on RLH. To me they are equally comfortable, but the RLH does feel a little bit firmer. Crepe sole picks up dirt and the bottom of the shoes turns dark very quickly, while the RLH gets a little bit darker from wearings but nowhere near the extent of crepe soles. I took a couple of pictures in an attempt to show this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two pairs above were purchased pretty close to each other a couple of months ago, but the ranger mocs have been worn much more often. I've really enjoyed the RLH sole and it's probably my "comfort sole" of choice now.

15. cloudyskies

cloudyskies Member

That's very helpful info. I've been considering getting the mid boot in snuff suede, inspired by some of the ranger moc MTOs a while back, and I've been debating between a crepe and lactae hevea sole. I had been leaning toward the crepe, given the attractiveness of the honey color and the fact that I have no prior experience with RLH soles, but seeing your photos makes me think that the RLH is probably better for color, comfort, and durability in the long run.