1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Great pics guys, thanks for sharing.

2. mclim

mclim Member

Any idea what weight of leather the bison boots are made from, or measured the thickness? Do they scuff easily?

3. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I've got a pair of bison boots, they don't scuff all that easily and if they do its pretty easy to get the scuffs out with some conditioning.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alden's #8s have two components-- the color that Horween put in, and the layers of dye or polish that Alden puts on top. If you go to the Lattanzi store, they have #8 cordovans on their shelf, and they look nothing like Aldens. Much more of a dark brown.

1 person likes this.
  5. mclim

mclim Member

How thick/heavy is the leather?

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Does anyone happen to own Rancourt Espresso and Color 8 and/or have a pic of the two side by side?

7. Nik Telford

Tough to say since I have mine lined with shearling. It's a decent thickness though, at least comparable to the cxl in my loafers.

8. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Bison used for the pair of boots I have is pretty thick. I think the use thinner leather for shoes made from the bison though. Both are unlined. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the thicker boot leather is intended to help them hold shape.

9. mclim

mclim Member

Thanks.

Also, how heavy/coarse is the grain?

I've seen some photos where the grain is huge, and others where it's basically a slightly more prominent form of cow grain. Is it just luck of the draw which one you get? Does it vary between colours?

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

The Clymer boots I have are large grained. That's the chocolate color here. How the grain looks in the photo is accurate. I also have a pair of the Sherman Camp mocs, and the grain is bit finer on those, and the leather is not as thick as for the boots. I'd think you might be able to express a preference for larger or finer grain on a note in your order.

What are you thinking about getting?

11. mclim

mclim Member

I'm looking at the Hastings boot, although I'm wondering if they'd be willing to do it as a custom option (it looks like bison isn't an option in the custom lineup, although it seems people have had custom bison boots made by Rancourt before) - I'd prefer a lined boot and silver, rather than antique brass, hardware.

How dark is the chocolate? Is the colour darker than it appears on the Rancourt website?

12. Nik Telford

Chocolate is a medium to darkish brown with red undertones. Its a really nice leather.