• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Del-Toro

Reaction score
That is completely true. Kyle grew up with my business partner Mike in Maine, and he helped us put together a made-to-order shoe program for our store. The Rancourt family are third generation shoe makers and they do incredible stuff. For the price, it is easily the best handmade shoe on the market. Also, they offer a really wide selection of Horween leathers, which is a nice point of difference, especially when you are talking about boat shoes and moc-toe shoes.
I work pretty closely with Kyle and would be happy to answer any questions people might have about the brand.
Yuketen & Russell Moc make the finest handmade footwear, at least in my opinion. I am sure Rancourt makes a great product but can't touch the design, material, and overall quality of Yuketen. And Russell can make a kick ass moc out of just about anything that will last forever.

Last edited:

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yuketen & Russell Moc make the finest handmade footwear, at least in my opinion.  I am sure Rancourt makes a great product but can't touch the design, material, and overall quality of Yuketen.  And Russell can make a kick ass moc out of just about anything that will last forever.

How do you figure a yuketen ranger differs in styling from a rancourt? (or for that matter, a penny or a boat shoe...)

How does their material differ? (rancourt offers shell, cxl, and likely anything else that's out there, with the likely exception of leopard print and some of the other crazy fabrics yuketen comes up with)

as for quality, I love my yuks, and while I haven't had a pair of rancourts to call my own yet I've handled them and would be hard pressed to say one is made better than the other.

Calikid

Reaction score
Yuketen & Russell Moc make the finest handmade footwear, at least in my opinion. I am sure Rancourt makes a great product but can't touch the design, material, and overall quality of Yuketen. And Russell can make a kick ass moc out of just about anything that will last forever.

http://www.uptherestore.com/product/dress-camp-moc-dk-cherry

I think the color 8 ranger moc compares very nicely with the above referenced Yuketen shell cordovan camp moc.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
How do you figure a yuketen ranger differs in styling from a rancourt? (or for that matter, a penny or a boat shoe...)
How does their material differ? (rancourt offers shell, cxl, and likely anything else that's out there, with the likely exception of leopard print and some of the other crazy fabrics yuketen comes up with)
as for quality, I love my yuks, and while I haven't had a pair of rancourts to call my own yet I've handled them and would be hard pressed to say one is made better than the other.

I am not simply looking at one particular style. I am talking about the entire line. What Yuki creates is simply astonishing. He is a true designer. Look at all his unique takes on the simple moc shoe. Rancourt, on the other hand, is simply a shoe manufacture. Indeed, they do have some great shoes but nothing to far from the mainstream moc, which again, is totally fine. Please don't get me wrong, in no way am I discounting Rancourt. I am simply stating that Yuketen is easily the finest handsewn moc shoe company on the planet. Russell moc is a close second simply because of their innovative construction techniques.

Yuki uses a variety of different materials. He has a very fresh take on the use materials and the way he combines them. He also uses many different types of sole constructions. He learned from one of the best and took the rather boring moc shoe to a completely different level. Everyone else is and will always be following his lead.

Last edited:

Del-Toro

Reaction score

Calikid

Reaction score
Up There is an excellent store. Highly recommend.
I looks very nice... and those Yuketen's look awesome although very pricey. I thnk the Rancourt ranger moc is an excellent less expensive alternative.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
I looks very nice... and those Yuketen's look awesome although very pricey. I thnk the Rancourt ranger moc is an excellent less expensive alternative.

Context has that pair for much less.

Yuketen has really gone down in price over the past few years. Up until recently Yuketen's were VERY expensive because nearly all their stuff went to Japan and getting them shipped back to the US plus the currency difference just sucked big fat rhino dick. Now, they in retailers all over the world so the price has come down. But Cordovan is one of the more expensive leathers so you should plan to spend at least $550 for a pair of Cordovan shoes.

Hatch&Whisk

Reaction score
I think it's more traditional vs nontraditional. I've handled the rancourts at work and theyre wonderful. straitforward designs with great options for customization. yuketen also offers a quality product (my guide boots are going on a year and I have loved them from day one. no break in problems, and theyre not even remotely close to wearing out). the design is a bit out of the ordinary but really thats a breath of fresh air if anything. I might end up picking up a pair of rancourts and a pair of the yuketen kiltie bluchers this season.

each shoe is worth its price, and having both isnt redundant if you pick models right

Del-Toro

Reaction score
I think it's more traditional vs nontraditional. I've handled the rancourts at work and theyre wonderful. straitforward designs with great options for customization. yuketen also offers a quality product (my guide boots are going on a year and I have loved them from day one. no break in problems, and theyre not even remotely close to wearing out). the design is a bit out of the ordinary but really thats a breath of fresh air if anything. I might end up picking up a pair of rancourts and a pair of the yuketen kiltie bluchers this season.
each shoe is worth its price, and having both isnt redundant if you pick models right
Totally agree.

Calikid

Reaction score
Context has that pair for much less.

Yuketen has really gone down in price over the past few years. Up until recently Yuketen's were VERY expensive because nearly all their stuff went to Japan and getting them shipped back to the US plus the currency difference just sucked big fat rhino dick. Now, they in retailers all over the world so the price has come down. But Cordovan is one of the more expensive leathers so you should plan to spend at least $550 for a pair of Cordovan shoes.
Thanks for the heads-up. They are much less at Context. I think they are both great companies and shoes....

cking

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2-eye handsewn chukka in Mushroom suede with a brick red camp-moc sole. Looking forward to it!

Now to figure out what's next...

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Sounds great. Will look forward to seeing photos of that color combination.

cking

Reaction score
For the folks that own a pair of Rancourt's, do they have full length leather insoles?

Del-Toro

Reaction score
For the folks that own a pair of Rancourt's, do they have full length leather insoles?

I think OSB is the only company that uses quarter soles, and I think he does so for a specific reason. But I could be wrong. I know Yuketen and Quoddy use full-length insoles.

Last edited:

OakStreetBootmakers

Reaction score

I think OSB is the only company that uses quarter soles, and I think he does so for a specific reason.  But I could be wrong.  I know Yuketen and Quoddy use full-length insoles.

We're shipping all shoes with full length veg tanned horween insoles =) we decided to take the jump and go all out with the veg tanned leather that we don't see other brands using using. The cost is significant on our end, but you get a leather that absorbs moisture (since all you bastards go sockless :D,absorbing moisture is a huge plus)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads