1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Yes, that bison on the ranger mocc would be good. I'd pick one up. I used bison for some western holsters last year. It was stronger and a lot softer than cow. It breaks in very well. I have people coming back for more but it was just a short run on some hides I picked up.

2. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

4. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Has anyone picked up the Scotch Grain Beefroll that are on special? What pant works best with these. I can't place it in my mind's eye.

5. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    looks like you guys like the olive ranger mocc idea just as much as we do.

I think our plan is to run this on an aspen sole (which has done well for us with our kudu collection and has served me well at the beach and on the trails), and probably line it. the one challenge with bison is that it doesn't have much structure after it breaks in some, which is partially the beauty of it. we want the "wabi sabi", but we also don't want the toe box caving in. lining thoughts?

6. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Might as well set aside an 8.5 in this for me!

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Do you think you'll do the standard ranger moc or are you considering the 1967 4 eyelet blucher?

Also, new member @j3di2002 (welcome!) asked me via PM for some photos of the bison Clymers. Here they are. I've definitely worn these some, but they don't seem too worn in yet. This is the Tuscon bison. I think the PDG makeup proposed here is the smaller grained pullup bison, maybe?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Portland Dry Goods

I like the 1967 but I'm not so sure on blind eyelets. my coworker and I even ruled out the plantation crepe sole on the basis that we wanted there to be some sleekness, and we think the aspen will be a bit more "streamlined" design wise. I think for the future a 1967 style with a plantation crepe sole could absolutely kill it.

PS: those boots are outrageously cool. As far as I'm aware the bison we will be looking at is a smaller grain and does have pull up, but it is indeed "Tuscon Bison". In my past experience, the grain varies hide to hide. there might even be slight differences from shoe to shoe, which is kind of fun but something we want to be aware of!. Dark Olive & peanut or cognac show a lot more variation in color than the chocolate. its a very cool leather, right in our wheelhouse of "approachable curveballs" :D

1 person likes this.
  9. FrankCowperwood

Sounds like a great makeup. Pull-up bison's going to look really nice.

10. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Looking forward to these!

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

^^^Gangsta! Gangsta! That's what they yellin'

I think I've seen Rancourt refer to it as "Shrunken Bison" on their instagram post about the bison driving shoes.

I haven't seen the larger grained bison that @FrankCowperwood has in the olive color.

Edit:

'Twasn't on insta, 'twas in their email newsletter. See here (2nd paragraph)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. j3di2002

j3di2002 New Member

Awesome, I think I will be pulling the trigger on these soon, thanks!

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

my brief experience so far:

bought a pair of "tan" shell Venetian loafers on Ebay, 8.5D. the guy I bought them from said he was more like a 9.5D and they were just too small for him. so I figured they'd be good for me (8.5 Trubalance, 9D or 8.5 E most other stuff).

I could get them on my foot the day they arrived, but they were super tight. too tight too wear. after just one night in tight shoe trees I can already feel them stretching. hopefully they keep on stretching and they settle into something good for me b/c these shoes were a sweet find.

14. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Great that they worked for you! Do you know if they are on the same last/sizing as the ranger moc? I take a width down from TTS for the shell ranger moc, but I'm unsure if that works for the venetians (buying them from the 'bay, so I dont want to trouble Kyle/Scott for sizing advice, lol).

Edit: Maybe going for the same size is worth a punt anyway!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  15. e39m5

e39m5 Member

16. maida

maida Member

Got home from the long weekend and my new pair of sanford bluchers arrived. Unfortunately, they are wayyyy too big. Beautiful shoes though. Size 8 is more like a 9 or 9.5. I even did the made to fit program and it wasn't even close. Has anyone had a similar experience with their dress shoes?

I am pretty disappointed but oh well. Thinking I might bring them to that American Field market this weekend and see if someone can help me out.

17. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

my only sense from reading this thread is that their sizing is very inconsistent.

18. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

I've never had an issue with sizing FWIW. I used the brannock scale that you could print off their site to measure my feet and have gone TTS in everything and it has worked out fine.

1 person likes this.
  19. Portland Dry Goods

I've found these to be pretty true to size, so long as you buy TTS for handsewns, +.5 for blakes.

sizing of course varies for every person depending on the last vs the customer's foot but I find they don't vary wildly.

1 person likes this.
  20. FrankCowperwood

Yup, I think if you read through any shoe thread the sizing may seem inconsistent. But I really think it's really more down to the fact that people's feet are pretty different. I haven't noticed any significant variations in Rancourt sizing in number of pairs.

Don't know what accounts for those 8s being way too big after the made to fit program, @maida. I bet if you bring it up with Rancourt nicely, they'll figure out a way to get you in a pair that does fit.