• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HA ha.. So now I have to get a belt that matches or at least closely matches my chukka's. Where did you guys buy your belts?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HA ha.. So now I have to get a belt that matches or at least closely matches my chukka's. Where did you guys buy your belts?

You can probably get Rancourt or @Portland Dry Goods to make you one. I don't think they stock anything in that color suede or what the state of belt MTOs is, but worth a try.

Or you could just forget about matching and wear whatever with them... :)

I take it they are feeling more comfortable?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
My impression is that Rancourt is as flexible with MTO belts as they are with MTO shoes . . . which is to say, very. If you go that route, though, be prepared to wait a little while for yours, as their belt guy seems to be a few weeks behind schedule.

rusticchasm

Reaction score
i need some opinions.

so i bought a pair of the beefroll in 5.5D, they fit nice and snug- toes to the box and have stretched out

i bought a pair in 6D on sale @ $160 (the BoO collab) but theres a small gap in the front of the toe box.

is that a keeper or will i kick myself once it stretches out a bit?

striker

Reaction score
I personally prefer my shoes not to start off tight or even snug at the toes. To be quite honest, I dun really understand the fascination with people sizing down so much on jeans and shoes. If it fits well, it will not stretch to the point that it becomes unwearable but that's just me.

Jackboot

Reaction score

i need some opinions. 

so i bought a pair of the beefroll in 5.5D, they fit nice and snug- toes to the box and have stretched out

i bought a pair in 6D on sale @ $160 (the BoO collab) but theres  a small gap in the front of the toe box.

is that a keeper or will i kick myself once it stretches out a bit?

I've got the same issue. I purchased a couple pairs of the Blake Chukkas in 10.5D and they fit quite snug right now but should conform slightly as I wear them. I also purchased the shoes in 11D for comparison. They fit without any squishing right now. I'm planning on keeping the 10.5Ds.

I also bought a pair of Venetian loafers in 11D (smaller sizes sold out). The standard advice in this thread is that I should have bought a 10D - one half size down from the Blakes. However, I did purchase a pair of 10D in a different pair of Venetian loafers a few months ago and had to return them because they were way too small - I can't imagine that they would have stretched sufficiently to be comfortable.

That makes me believe that 10.5D is the correct size in the handsewn loafers for me. But, like I said, they were sold out. The 11D venetian loafers I purchased are a half size up from my supposedly correct Blake size and they do fit comfortably right now although there is a bit of extra room in the toebox. I want to keep them and hope for the best but this thread suggests that they will stretch out so much that I will no longer be able to wear them.

I'm a bit confused why they will stretch so much if they aren't tight to begin with though...

StopRupp

Reaction score

I've got the same issue. I purchased a couple pairs of the Blake Chukkas in 10.5D and they fit quite snug right now but should conform slightly as I wear them. I also purchased the shoes in 11D for comparison. They fit without any squishing right now. I'm planning on keeping the 10.5Ds.

I also bought a pair of Venetian loafers in 11D (smaller sizes sold out). The standard advice in this thread is that I should have bought a 10D - one half size down from the Blakes. However, I did purchase a pair of 10D in a different pair of Venetian loafers a few months ago and had to return them because they were way too small - I can't imagine that they would have stretched sufficiently to be comfortable.

That makes me believe that 10.5D is the correct size in the handsewn loafers for me. But, like I said, they were sold out. The 11D venetian loafers I purchased are a half size up from my supposedly correct Blake size and they do fit comfortably right now although there is a bit of extra room in the toebox. I want to keep them and hope for the best but this thread suggests that they will stretch out so much that I will no longer be able to wear them.

I'm a bit confused why they will stretch so much if they aren't tight to begin with though...
They will stretch out as you walk in them since you put more stress on the leather when you do so. This happened to me in a pair that was not tight to begin with either.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also a good amount of the stretch occurs because a shoe is made in CXL, in my experience. Other leathers don't stretch nearly as much. So how much the venetians stretch will depend on the material.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any insight on the difference between the Rapello suede and the Orion suede? Or what suede is used for the Clymer 2.0 suede moccasins?

I sent a message off to Rancourt but haven't heard back yet and I'm anxious. I think this cool weather we've been having in Detroit has got me thinking about my fall wardrobe a bit early and I want get an order in for some navy suede ranger mocs.

:slayer:

Last edited:

rusticchasm

Reaction score
They will stretch out as you walk in them since you put more stress on the leather when you do so. This happened to me in a pair that was not tight to begin with either.
did you end up keeping that pair? how's it working out for you?

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my #8 shell BB x Rancourt boat shoes today. They are awesome, planning on getting 10-20 years out of these boat shoes for sure. A bit snug, but already loosening up. And I'm liking the sole color a lot more than I'd expected. For <$400, a great deal on them too.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those really do look great and the seem pretty much perfect for you. What a nice pair of Rancourts. Funny, you could make those up in the custom shoe builder, for what, $605?

Enjoy.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my #8 shell BB x Rancourt boat shoes today. They are awesome, planning on getting 10-20 years out of these boat shoes for sure. A bit snug, but already loosening up. And I'm liking the sole color a lot more than I'd expected. For <$400, a great deal on them too.

Very cool. Mega props on getting the horween stamp
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Keep posting fading pix.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads