1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

Anyone have the Venetian Loafer? I ordered a pair today from Brooks Brothers since they had their 30% off for corporate accounts.

2. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I have an MTO from Rancourt, natty shell. Sole wears much faster than any other leather sole I've experienced, but they're great other than that.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Hi and welcome!

IMO you don't really need speed hooks on Rancourt boots. They open up well enough at the top and are easy to lace if you need to take the laces out of the top eyelet. I don't think speed hooks are really part of the handsewn style either. If you want them, go for it. But I don't see needing them.

Chocolate bison and dark suede could look great. You might want to use one of the sturdier suedes if you go that route. The Repello really is lightweight. It pairs nicely with the Mimosa calf. It might be overwhelmed by the bison, which is some thick, tough stuff.

Let us know what you pick out, and then post photos when it arrives.

1 person likes this.
  4. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

It certainly looked like a thinner leather sole than normal but for $170, it's certainly worth checking out.

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I thought I would wear them a lot, but I don't love the fit or the shape of the toe box anymore. It's probably time for a resole too.

6. loxo

loxo Senior member

My suede wingtips and to a lesser extent my blake boots each have a shoe in the pair that are now squeaking a little bit when I walk. I am assuming it has something to do with the tempest sole on both of them. Has this happened to anyone else or any tips on how to minimize the squeak?

7. jenkinms

jenkinms New Member

Thanks Frank! I agree that a rougher suede would be needed to stand up against the bison, although finding one that works is a little bit tricky. Maybe I should just reach out to @Portland Dry Goods to see what makes sense.

Whenever I get the order in, I'll be sure to show it off! (I'm only somewhat patiently waiting for my pennies which are slated to ship on the 28th).

8. tanbar

tanbar Senior member

Could do a roughout CXL. Would be a thicker leather and have more nap.

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I might be your man then. You looking for anything in particular?

10. jenkinms

jenkinms New Member

yeah a roughout would make sense, or one of the full grain suedes. Where i get lost is finding a suede that is a good tone & big enough to match up well with the bison.

11. clb89

clb89 Member

[​IMG]

got these navy suede in! very nice, just wish it had little bit more hint of blue

1 person likes this.
  12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Picked up my first Rancourts, thanks to Portland Dry Goods. PDG x Rancourt loafer in unlined flint kudu suede. Comfortable doesn't begin to describe them. Perfect summer shoe and will become my go to air travel shoe.

In today's bright sun, the brown is more prominent. Indoors or in overcast weather, they are far more gray. PDG really hit a home run with these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

Bison is a deceptively soft leather! depending on what you're looking to do you could match it with orion (super thick) or repello (super thin) suede without much issue.

14. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Outstanding shoes and pictures, PB. That really is a great design.

15. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

I think these are rancourt...
    [​IMG]

16. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Sorry for not perusing 430+ pages of this thread in search of answers.

I am in the market for shell penny loafers and have settled tentatively on Rancourt's weltline mode, which strikes me as a more versatile shoe than AE Patriots, Alden LHS, or C&J Harvards. I appreciate the Trad design of these alternatives, but it appears as though the Rancourts would pair better with shorts and just as well with blazer. I am judging, however, from online images and would appreciate testimonials on this count.

I will take advantage of the Made to Fit Program but understand that Rancourt's sizing is comparable to AE's. I am a little concerned that the sizing examples they will send me are calf Venetian loafers built on a different last. Has anyone found this to be a reliable means of sizing shell penny loafers?

Finally, in my perusing of this thread I found mention of a real MTO program--perhaps similar to AE's now defunct service to members of this forum(?). My wife is interested in shell women's loafers, so I am interested in any details that may apply.

Thanks!

17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

As an owner of the Harvard, lhs, and a few Rancourts... I'd say you're wrong about the versatility. The true mocc construction makes for a less versatile shoe imo. Reconsider the unlined LHS that brooks brothers sells.

18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

email swhite[at]rancourtshoes.com to learn more about MTO. Usually there is a $50 upcharge, they may have increased it, it might not apply to shell. Best to email Scott and find out what the deal is.

19. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Yes--I see what you mean. I suppose my preoccupation with the casual side of the spectrum (where my shoe rotation is quite weak) induced me to accept uncritically Rancourt's copy on these shoes and their versatility at the other end. I'll have to confirm that BB intends to restock their inventory of this shoe. (Although I'm not ruling the Rancourts out).

Thanks!

20. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

Quick question for you guys with unlined Mocs and penny's.. Do you recommend putting trees in them? My only concern would be for any potential stretching. I do like putting trees in all my nicer shoes but don't want to chance stretching them.