• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my olive cxl loafer should be in next week, can't wait...

are those bright green or dark green loafer?

can't wait to see some pictures. I am still debating on what to get for my loafer. wheat cavalier cxl is now in the lead.

Last edited:

prozach1576

Reaction score
I think my next order will be navy suede loafers; not sure on the sole yet. My ranger mocs are already my favorite casual shoes.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of their Shell? They use Horween but I was wondering if it is the same stuff Yuketen uses. I suspect it is not but was wondering if anyone has seen or owns any Rancourt Cordovan? If so, please post pics of the leather (outside and inside shoe).

Del-Toro

Reaction score

rkusmant

Reaction score
Olive = dark green, at least that's what I expect... Will report when I get them.

I read somewhere that Rancourt dye their own shell cordovan, and if you think quality = grade of horween shell, their grading is based on size, I doubt Rancourt will go for the 'seconds' that float around the leather market.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
Olive = dark green, at least that's what I expect... Will report when I get them.
I read somewhere that Rancourt dye their own shell cordovan, and if you think quality = grade of horween shell, their grading is based on size, I doubt Rancourt will go for the 'seconds' that float around the leather market.

Yes, I am familiar with Shell but I was wondering if they piece it together, something like you would find in a Shell belt (simply because of the length needed to make a belt and the size of a horses BUTT) or if they use one hide to produce one pair of shoes like Yuketen does on their Shell models. I have no doubt whatsoever that they make a quality shoe.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, I am familiar with Shell but I was wondering if they piece it together, something like you would find in a Shell belt (simply because of the length needed to make a belt and the size of a horses BUTT) or if they use one hide to produce one pair of shoes like Yuketen does on their Shell models.  I have no doubt whatsoever that they make a quality shoe.

I've got the beef roll loafers in #8 shell. I can take some photos in a few days. My general opinion is that the quality of the shell and the quality of the construction are both excellent. I don't have any experience with Quoddy, but I do own Alden shell in several different colors.

The #8 is different from Alden, though. More of a satin finish and less gloss, I think. Seems to make it more scuff and scratch resistant in my experience.

mothball

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I heard back from Kyle on this color--

He said it was "walnut orion", which he described as a chocolate brown suede.

Any opinions on that color with a red brick sole?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For anyone interested, I heard back from Kyle on this color--

He said it was "walnut orion", which he described as a chocolate brown suede.
Any opinions on that color with a red brick sole?

Agree with earlier comment that this is a great photo of a really nice looking boot. I think a red sole would go well with this. I am a fan of red/brown combinations, personally. I'd like to see this one.

Calikid

Reaction score

I've got the beef roll loafers in #8 shell. I can take some photos in a few days. My general opinion is that the quality of the shell and the quality of the construction are both excellent. I don't have any experience with Quoddy, but I do own Alden shell in several different colors.
The #8 is different from Alden, though. More of a s
atin finish and less gloss, I think. Seems to make it more scuff and scratch resistant in my experience.

I also have the #8 beefrolls. They are nice. Don't you think the color is more
of a cherry red vs. the purple tinge of the Alden's?

Kashiwa

Reaction score
#8 CXL beefroll Rancourts arrived, accompanied by Alden #8 PTBs. (sorry about the low quality pic, I realize now I should have taken 2 seconds to wipe them off!)

Very happy with both, although I'm still wondering if maybe a narrower width would have been better. The length on both is excellent, but there seems to be more play than necessary in the heel area. Oh well, time will tell.

Took the loafers out for a good walk and was surprised how comfortable they were. Very happy with these.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score

#8 CXL beefroll Rancourts arrived, accompanied by Alden #8 PTBs. (sorry about the low quality pic, I realize now I should have taken 2 seconds to wipe them off!)

Very happy with both, although I'm still wondering if maybe a narrower width would have been better. The length on both is excellent, but there seems to be more play than necessary in the heel area. Oh well, time will tell.
Took the loafers out for a good walk and was surprised how comfortable they were. Very happy with these.

Very nice.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice pickups! beefroll looks really good for a causal shoes. enjoy!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#8 beefroll Rancourts arrived, accompanied by Alden #8 PTBs. (sorry about the low quality pic, I realize now I should have taken 2 seconds to wipe them off!)

Both look great. Brand new #8 is a fine sight. The loafers will definitely get to be even more comfortable as the break in, but handsewn feels good from the start, doesn't it?

Are both shell?

I also have the #8 beefrolls. They are nice. Don't you think the color is more
of a cherry red vs. the purple tinge of the Alden's?

I agree. Rancourt #8 is definitely different. Perhaps it is more red than purple, but it is still very dark when new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads