1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. David Midecem

David Midecem Well-Known Member

I just sent an email to Stephanie. I'm crossing fingers.

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Espresso shell Blake boots, maiden voyage:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

^^ Those look great, Half.

Wearing my Rancourt for Timmy chukkas today. The hard rubber vibram is great for the salt:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. David Midecem

David Midecem Well-Known Member

Hi guys, here I am again. As I promised, here are the pictures of my 7-eyed esspresso shell Blake boots with chestnut laces and natural edge-stain. Excuse my bad lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The defected stitching on this side has been fixed. Now it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

There is 1 false loop so it doesn't look flat when seen from an angle and 1 thread's end is not hidden but sticking out of the leather. This might be just me being too picky, but -1 for Rancourt for not paying attention to details.

[​IMG]

The tongues are an interesting part. The right tongue is smooth while the left is sueded on the inner part. You could tell by the picture. This does not really bother me, but I don't know if the sueded tongue affects the quality or not. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Bonus pic of how the boot looks like when I remove the lace:

[​IMG]

Finally this is a rather disappointing detail: Rancourt's mistaken my box with another guy's :(. -2 for this :(. My name is not Eric. I'm sorry Eric for your possibility of receiving the box with my name.
    [​IMG]

Overall, I am happy with how the boots look, fit, and feel like. I've just checked the fit and they fit better than I first thought before I sent back for repair. They are very nice indeed. However, the fact that I ordered these at the end of November, sent them back for repair, got it today and still get some packaging mistakes is pretty frustrating. I live in Canada so it's not easy at all to send stuff back and forth.

I might come back to Rancourt for a pair of boat shoes in the future. I hope things will be smoother.

Scott White took over Katie's job in helping me. Everything is just as good so I'm happy with the service.

1 person likes this.
  5. striker

striker Senior member

How are they still getting all those Shell boots done with the current cordovan shortage?

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

My personal opinion is that the shell shortage pertains primarily to shoemakers that only want to put out a full run of a model (you know, xyz number of pairs in a range of sizes). Rancourt primarily does shell as single MTOs, so they don't need to have a big pile of them to make it work. They also dye their colors (except for the burgundy and black I imagine) in house, so they aren't waiting on a supply of espresso or green or whatever to become available from Horween. They get #8 and natural and do the rest themselves.

Speaking of this, I wonder why they haven't offered a Ravello-ish color more. I think Leffot had some Rancourt Venetians in a red colored shell, but that would certainly be popular as a more widely available offering.

I think there are various other places to get the colors and styles you want in shell as single MTOs as well, it's just not so much from the big guys these days.

@David Midecem glad to see those boots back and on your feet. Too bad the experience was a little bumpy, but now that's past and you can wear them and enjoy them. And post photos here so we can appreciate them as the become more beautiful with time.

Also, I'm hearing good things from Dustin at Portland Dry Goods about my suede/calf MTO Clymer boots. Hope to be able to share those here in the next three or four weeks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Anyone have any idea what sole this is?

[​IMG]

Photo is from their tumblr.

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^must be something new.

If they can have something like Revello-ish color, I would probably jump on for a venetian loafer with that, because I need something for traveling between airports...

9. FrankCowperwood

It's their trooper sole: http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blog/2013/02/04/new-blake-boot-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/

I like it.

Reddish (maybe more red than Ravello) was in Leffot's Venetian lineup a season or two ago. Not sure if it is something Rancourt would do on request or not. Seems if they are hand dying then they could. On the other hand they seem to go with darker colors (brown, blue, green) which may be a safer bet for getting a good result.

10. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I guess you are right on the darker colors. But is the Venetian on BB a true natural shell? No dying at all?

11. FrankCowperwood

I think you are right that they likely finish ther light colored shell as well. They call it caramel, right? Don't have any myself. @halfnhalfnhalf sure does!

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

13. FrankCowperwood

Oh maybe not then. I didn't look at the IG outersole too carefully. I was looking at the leather wedge midsole. That's the part I like.

14. halfnhalfnhalf

My understanding has been that the "caramel" shell comes straight from Horween, with no additional dyeing on Rancourt's part. They may still finish it in some way, but it's nothing like the lacquer that Alden puts on their shell.

I posted some comparison shots a week or two ago:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/197413/rancourt-co-shoes-made-in-maine/5500_100#post_7584876

Also, AE's "natural" shell (which they offered via MTO at a trunk show a couple of months ago) is now hitting the streets. I should have my pair in a week or two and will update the comparison shots then.

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Your suspicions are correct, in that they do perform some degree of finishing on caramel shell. There was an IG pic about 2 years ago that showed before/after. It wasn't too significant though. Looked like maybe they just hit it with the buffing wheel or something.

16. FrankCowperwood

And it's that caramel shell that they are dying in house then?

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I can't say for sure, but my suspicion is yes. Carmel is finished, natural shell. Same stuff that they dye and finish in-house.

18. halfnhalfnhalf

Speaking of caramel shell . . . maiden voyage!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. FrankCowperwood

20. e39m5

e39m5 Member

Shearling-Lined Blake Chukkas :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]