1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Good news! The cognac bison is available, and they are perfectly fine doing a Clymer MTO in that leather. I'm going to go that route...with a lot of travel planned next year, I'm seeing these as a near perfect pair to beat up!

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Bonza mate! Those will look great.

3. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Please pardon my ignorance as I'm new to this Rancourt thread, but what is the relationship between custom Rancourt shoes and Portland Dry Goods (other than being a authorized retailer and also in Maine)? I'm a Rancourt fan and always game for an interesting MTO.

4. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

we're one of a small batch of shops who have the MTO program readily available in person at our shop. swatches, soles, and a binder full of eyelets, laces, etc. I like to think we're the best to talk to if you want something particular - I like to help our customers make choices on the nitty gritty stuff and advise as much as they want us to. we're also able to do a few things the web widget cant; a couple unique leathers, the ability to mix cxl and suede by panel, and so on.

we also do our own customs for the shop which we hope to expand soon. I'd like to be doing a few new styles every season in the near future. these 3 should be available year round.

5. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Very cool! Thanks for the quick response.

6. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I'll piggyback on this. Dustin and PDG are great to work with - as he mentioned a long time ago, going through PDG means you're supporting two businesses in one purchase. But more to the point for you, PDG has access to "secret menu items" that aren't available on the Rancourt online shoe designer.

1 person likes this.
  7. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

I neglected to post this photo I took this summer - Rancourts in their natural habitat (the coast of Maine).
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. FrankCowperwood

@chuckb That is a beautiful photo and it makes me wistful.

9. David Midecem

David Midecem Well-Known Member

Well I'm dealing with Canadian problems here. Snow everywhere. Haha.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

My green shell Blake chukkas continue to delight me:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Amazingly cool! Green shell is going to enter my life in 2015, I can feel it!

I was all but settled on a pair of shell green loafers, but the chukkas are splendid! I'm reconsidering that decision. Also, I currently have a pair of beef roll loafers in green CXL in the making.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. FrankCowperwood

Well, that's because they are delightful.
    (Relatively) easy access to colored shell like this is really one of the great things about Rancourt.

13. FrankCowperwood

Tan bulldog Read boat shoes

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

I have a loafer sizing question. I have checked through some of the thread, but would like another opinion. I'm going to do the Made to Fit (which is awesome, and I wish more companies had something similar), however I'm not sure which sizes to order. I'm deciding between my TTS (9.5 D), and then 9D and 9E. For reference, I'm a 9.5D in the Allen Edmonds 5 last and a 9D in the Barrie last.

Which should I check out? In addition, should I expect to order the same or different sizes in CXL and shell loafers.

Thanks.

15. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

This is my take on your question.

I am a TTS 10.5D but a tad towards the wide side. I wear 10.5D on AE 5 last, and 10D on Barrie. I wear Rancourt's CXL loafer in 10.5D. They were a very good fit at the beginning, but after about a year of constant wearing, they stretched a bit and I cannot go sockless without seeing some heel slippage. But if I am wearing socks they are fine. If i am to order the made to fit i would probably go with 10.5D and 10D in CXL. I won't worry about ordering a shell since shell doesn't really stretch that much no matter how long you have it.

16. evolved

evolved Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just received these from Rancourt and the picture is my first "try on".

They are 10B natty CXL loafers, as you can see. My question is about the left shoe, particularly the outside edge towards the rear. It's bowed out pretty significantly, in my opinion. Is this normal? It wouldn't bother me if it went away when I put them on, but as you can see, that's not the case. Am I being too critical?

17. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

Definitely, you want need to mold to your feet and cxl is very stretchy. You may have to go up a width for shell though. The bowing is completely normal.

18. evolved

evolved Senior member

Thanks for the reply! I have a few other CXL shoes....boots, in particular. So, do you think that the bowing will go away with breaking them in? Or is that just the nature of how these are made...?

19. FrankCowperwood

What tv2177 says sounds about right from my experience as well. I'm a TTS 11D on the wide side. Wear 11D Barrie (I know that's a little odd considering the conventional wisdom, but that size suits my feet's volume). I wear 11D Rancourt for a snug fit (e.g., in those boat shoes I just posted) and 11E for more room (e.g. in handsewn boots, which I don't think would be at all comfortable in 11D. I also have a pair of shell beefrolls in 11E and that fit has worked out really well for me). If I were getting a CXL model, I'd probably go 11D to account for the stretch.

All this being said, I think that the goal of 0 heel slip isn't really critical for handsewns. I think that they mold well and wear so flexibly that it's not that big of a deal if there's a little slip.

That is to say, don't worry about it too much.

20. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

Both replies were very helpful. Thanks guys. I'll order the 9.5D and 9D to try them out.