1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

i'll definately talk to the right people. I find viberg does a particularly excellent job of finding wacky hides (i saw a pair at liberty made in birkin bag leather and they were nuts) wheras Rancourt has some ultra reliable tanneries and sticks to their guns. in any event we'll see what is possible and I'll try and report back soon.

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Well, it may not be in the cards, but we don't know until we ask.

Maybe we can get SF to put it on the front page... :)

:cheers:

3. David Midecem

David Midecem Well-Known Member

+1 for Rancourt's services. After paying for my order, I realized Katie sent me an invoice of a wrong item with less value. I contacted her and offered to pay the difference, she said I wouldn't have to, she'd update my order to what I requested. Wow.

4. jerryfromaz

jerryfromaz New Member

Agree, Katie and her team understand what customer service is all about.

5. FrankCowperwood

I've had excellent customer service from Rancourt and on a few tricky issues too.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Hey guys, don't really want to scroll through a bunch of posts, so I figured I would ask quick.

I have a pair of the Leffot shell venetians, with leather outsole. They are getting pretty worn down, and the heel stack is starting to get some damage. When you get a resole from Rancourt, are they going to remove the whole entire thing, since they are just blake stitched?

I would rather not send them back for a resole right now, as I have only owned them for about a year or so. If they are going to replace everything, I am just going to wear them down further.

7. FrankCowperwood

There honestly hasn't been a ton of resole content in the thread, I don't think. We all buy too many of the shoes, so who ever gets around to resoling them?

Anyway, pair of shell beefroll penny loafers I sent in came back with everything replaced, so I think you can just wear the Venetians down and not worry about it.

Also, pics.

:)

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

everything (not just the heel)

Maybe you can contact them about doing just the heel and see what they say.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Good to know! I think I will do just that.

I am definitely going to be resoling them though, they are far too pricey to toss. With that said, I want them in every color.

I'll brush 'em off tonight and snap off some pics. The most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

Good to know! Thanks a lot, I appreciate the reply!

10. FrankCowperwood

Oh you absolutely resole those, unless someone here just wants to save you the trouble and take them off your hands...

But what you need is a pair of loafers in that Italian horsehide that PDG is looking into... :) (fingers crossed)

I had the heel stacks replaced by a local cobbler on those beefrolls, then sent them in for the resole when the forefoot leather wore out.

11. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Interested. Which loafer and are there pics of the Italian horsehide?

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

This Italian horsehide intrigues me, to say the least :)

13. FrankCowperwood

Well, the inspiration are the Viberg boots I posted here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/197413/rancourt-co-shoes-made-in-maine/5360_20#post_7500489.

Portland Dry Goods has been kind enough to say they'd look into whether Rancourt can/will source the leather and we could do a collab through PDG then perhaps.

I envision a pair of venetians for myself, and maybe a boot, but we aren't even close to figuring that stuff out yet.

My hope would be that we could pick and choose what we wanted for styles, since Rancourt does that anyway. Doesn't seem as if we'd need to all decide on the same one thing. But that's just me thinking out loud again.

We'll see what happens. Could be really nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

For the non-latex soles that Alden offers, the mini lug is my favorite. It's a bit more stiff than other similarly lugged soles but still has a nice low profile.

I have the Tempest sole on a pair of suede boots from Rancourt and I find them very uncomfortable. They are too stiff and have never really broken in. And just like the Dainite sole that Tricker's (and other English makers) often uses, I think they are way too slippery for a rubber sole. I know some people love the Tempest and Dainite soles but I just don't see it.

And I agree with @Bakes11771 that a boat shoe just isn't a boat shoe without a rubber boat shoe sole.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

My sentiments exactly.

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

New dress bal just dropped:

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/new-releases/bartlett-oxford.html

[​IMG]

I don't intend to get any but if anyone here does I'd love to get their impressions. I must admit that "Rancourt" and "dress bal" don't go together in my mind. It's nice to see that they have a double leather sole, though. I hope that means we can get it on customs now.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  17. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I like them.

I'm still waiting for the wingtip with the 360-degree reverse welt that they teased as "coming soon" in February, though.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Not to be a bastard, but I don't like the shape of the last. Specifically the instep. Seems unnatural compared to what most peoples' feet are actually shaped like.

(Sorry for being such a hater lately.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

It's OK. We're used to it. ;)

I agree though. The instep just isn't a nice shape. Reminds me of AE Bals. Not shaped like a foot...Or my foot at least.

20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thats exactly what I'm saying!

You must be a bastard as well!

Edit: Whoops, missed the part where you say "I agree..." I guess my second post is sort of [​IMG].

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014