1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

^ Yeah sorry, I meant the difference between the aspen sole and the regular Reltex Lactae Hevea sole (the one on the second pair of shoes I linked) that's like a crepe sole with a heel. I'd imagine there's not any substantial difference between the two, but was curious if anyone has tried them both and had any input.
    My main hangup when deciding between the two pairs is how the suede would do in rain. I know that suede is more durable than many people think, but I can't tell if I would shy away from wearing them on a slightly rainy day because of the suede (I likely wouldn't wear either pair in a thunderstorm, and definitely not in winter where I live due to snow and salt). Part of my reasoning for getting them is to serve as shoes when I travel, as I obviously can't be sure about the weather when I'm packing for several days.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

I think Frank has both.

I have the aspen, which in some ways I like (sleek profile) but it also causes me to catch the toe on carpeting and the sole can peel from the midsole as a result. It is also very squishy and gives a little bit of a wobbly footing. Nothing too extreme, but I sort of wish it was firmer. It also doesn't give great support, and virtually no support in the arch. This is no more of a problem than it is with a boat sole, however.

I imagine much of what I mention also applies to the standard RLH, but I am also interested to hear about the nuances between the two.

3. pwkd

pwkd Member

9.5 e is a little snug (not too wide at all) although doable. 10D is a little long although doable. From a width standpoint, I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between a D and an E. I will probably wear a thicker sock with the blake boot (think thickness of an athletic sock) so I'm thinking a 10.5 might be the right size. Is the John last (for the Blake) wider than the 5 eye / ranger moc last? Just trying to understand the difference between the E in a handsewn and a D in the John.

4. Bakes11771

Rancourt used to say that the John is narrow. I find it to be normal. Unless you compare it to something like Indy Boots that require most to size down considerably. Not sure they offer the John in E width, but it appears as though you are already aware of that.

This is quite a sizing predicament that you are in.

I'm thinking 10D, but that is just my best guess.

Have you tried reaching out to Rancourt? They can probably give you the width measurements in fractions of an inch for the various sizes that you are considering in both lasts.

Edit: Yeah, you are right, 10.5 might be best since they don't make a 10E and they say to go up .5 from your hand-sewns. So 10.5D should be "a little long although doable" like you describe your 10D hand-sewns.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

5. pwkd

pwkd Member

Thanks, Bakes. A 9.5D ranger moc actually fits me well (although I usually a wear a slightly thinner sock in the winter time) - do you guys know if the Blakes (especially in suede) will stretch out over time like the ranger mocs?

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

PSA on some Eastlands on sale:

http://shoerepertoire.com/shop/

Use code: WINTER14 (40% off)

Was looking at some Ranger boots but they didn't have my size. [​IMG] Also have some Wolverine 1Ks that, I think, could stack with the coupon. Enjoy!

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

Code is indeed good for Wolverines. Can't beat 1Ks for $213!

8. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

For Wolverines, it's better to price match with Nordstrom (call them up, and just guide the person to the site and give them the code). Shoerepertoire doesn't have the best track record with shipping speed or returns. So you get the same price with Nordstrom and save a lot of grief.

9. anrobit

anrobit Senior Member

I'm only seeing the Eastland 1955 line, which is imported. Am I missing something?

10. Bakes11771

I actually know a guy who is taking offers on a very nice pair of snuff suede ranger mocs that are your size and have only been worn a few times. The Blake sizing probably won't work for you anyway.[​IMG]

11. pwkd

pwkd Member

Thanks - to be honest, this might be more of a mindset than anything. I think my feet measure a D on a brannock so I imagine the last isn't the issue. For all of you who have Blakes, how did you size compared to your ranger mocs? (assuming you have a pair as well).

By the way, Katie mentioned that she would send a made to order pair of Blake suedes for me to try out. Not sure if this is standard thing or not since they did mess up delivery of one of my orders...

12. pwkd

pwkd Member

If I didn't have a similar pair in bitter chocolate suede, I would totally consider it. Speaking of which, I need to upgrade the soles on mine. The camp sole just isn't doing it for me aesthetically or physically. I'm thinking the RLH aspen - anyone have any experience with those?

13. Bakes11771

Same size.

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

15. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

Nordstrom will price match??