1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. metarays

metarays Member

It's from the rancourt's website. I don't plan to wear these to the ground so I think I should be okay for this purchase. I think I'll be getting them right before summer starts. Thanks!

2. pwkd

pwkd Member

Looking for some advice - I've got a 9.5e and a 10d in the 5 eye boot. I want to purchase the Blake boot in suede, but have no idea about sizing. Rancourt says to go up a size from your handsewn size, but I'm between both sizes. Any advice?

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

Will have to see pics of your other Rancourts before we can help.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

^Right. We can tell you everything based on the photos... :)

But while you are getting those professionally taken in various lighting, how do the two different sizes fit relative to each other? Is the 10D a little long? Is the 9.5e a little wide? Etc.

Maybe we can figure it out.

5. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Affiliate Vendor

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

We could make a pair of those up for you no problem.

otherwise, stay tuned this summer - we're getting kind of enamored with the dark olive. might be a collection coming.

6. cathpah

cathpah Senior Member

There goes my bank account.

7. anrobit

anrobit Senior Member

I may take you guys up on that soon. I've been thinking about a natural shell ranger moc for a while. I might be visiting you this weekend, actually.

8. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

Sorry to bog this down with a FAQ- you think I'm in the clear with my Beefroll sizing for the Ranger Moc?

I went TTS 9D on my loafers, and although the CXL has stretched a bit widthwise, the length is still pretty much perfect for my feet. I figure stretching isn't as big a deal on a laced shoe.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

Newbie to this thread - apologies in advance if this is well-trod ground.

I'm considering a custom Blake boot in navy shell. Rancourt customer service tells me that they stain the natural shell themselves to create the navy color (as well as the green and espresso). With respect to patina development, etc., what should I expect with these Rancourt-stained colors, as compared to black or Color 8?

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

That's a good question. I don't know of anyone that has had a pair long enough.

I think Bakes might have a pair of Espresso that he's had for a bit. Maybe he can chime in.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

You are correct, Sir. However, mine don't get out much so they still look pretty new. Here is a pair from Rancourt's instagram page that shoudl give you an idea.

[​IMG]
    (Left boot before "polish", right boot after)
    I think these are actually espresso, because I know Kyle has a pair. Never seen him post a pair in Color 8. Not sure what kind of wear and care he has given them, but it looks like it has been a lot of wear and not so much care.

I can also tell you that their shell is a bit different than Alden's in terms of feel and finish. Different than Carmina's also. Somewhere between the two, as someone else so accurately described it lately.

Good question, BTW.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

I have green shell and I think that these colors age more like black than #8. That is, I don't think you will get color change as you do with #8 (or natural/whiskey), more character from scuffs and nicks.

13. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

One of the signature characteristics of #8 is that it has a red pigment that breaks down in exposure to sunlight. While all leather changes with exposure to light (with the leather getting darker and pigments breaking down) that red breakdown happens much faster than normal. So a pair will get lighter and go from maybe a red/eggplant color to a yellow/brown color over time. Black/brown/hand-dyed shells will not have that, so while general patina will be the same, you won't have that extra changing factor.

That said, navy shell is beautiful to look at, and will patina in its own, gorgeous way.

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

Thanks to all for your generosity - this is terrific information and yet another reason why I'm so glad I found SF. I already own a pair of Blakes (branded Eastland Monroe but made by Rancourt and indistinguishable from theirs as far as I can tell) in green Chromexcel and love them. Navy shell intrigues me and I haven't seen it anywhere else at Rancourt's price point. So, I'll probably take a flyer.

BTW, that custom configurator on Rancourt's website is really slick! And their turnaround is nice and quick - the rep told me 4 weeks, including "stain-to-order" time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

I have long consider the Hamilton boot (Blake with a toe cap) in navy shell. I very much look forward to seeing yours