1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Replacing the insole shouldn't be required from a construction standpoint. While the insole is stitched to the midsole (Blake/Rapid) before the outsole is stitched to the midsole, the midsole and insole could remain in place if their integrity were sound. Sorry for that tongue twister! [​IMG]

When replacing the midsole (if necessary), the stitches could simply be cut with a knife and then a new one could be stitched on. The insole doesn't have to be replaced. They are just replacing it for longevity reasons (since it isn't as durable as a nice slab of thick leather), which I appreciate and find respectable. Like I said, that's what makes them worth their money. Otherwise, you might as well just buy a pair of Sperry or Bass.

2. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

Danforth wingtips today:
    [​IMG]

3. thonez

thonez Senior Member

Damn that leather is nice. Already have some pennys , but would cop quick if anywhere is stocking ranger mocs in this leather.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Looking good. How do you find the fit in the heel on these? I went with 11E for the wingtips I ordered and the width/sizing of the forefoot feels good to me, but the heel cup feels as if it is cut pretty low so there's a fair amount of slip. Not sure if that means I should have gone 11 D or if there's something about their design.

5. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

I have slipping as well, and it's hard to tell whether that's a result of sole break-in or not. The rest of the shoe matches up with the ball of my foot, and I have a little room forward of my toes due to the shape.

I'm a 9D Brannock, but there's no way in hell I could size down to 8.5D and 8.5E would have my heel swimming. I think it's something about the design- for now, I'm wearing this pair on cooler days (thicker socks) and may add insoles.

6. FrankCowperwood

Sounds like we're in pretty much the same boat. It's not a deal breaker for me on the pair I own, but it makes me unsure about how I'd size another pair, which I don't need anyway... :rotflmao:

7. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

@MoneyWellSpent: Very well put, about the different kinds of abuse shoes put to hard work receive, versus shoes that are used normally but for a very long time. What you said about their replaceable nature really making them worth their value is particularly true. I do sort of wish the insoles WERE all leather, because I prefer the feel. But then I think of my Aldens, which even after recrafting aren't quite like new, because those non-replacable insoles have slow-burn worn out, as you described. And it makes me happy that the boots I've ordered will be able to be renewed from within. What I'd really like is ALL leather, no cork or padding, like in my White's boots. Comfortable and absolutely bombproof. They could cut them out of their midsole leather, which they cut in-house from these sheets of belly hide thicker than anything I've ever handled. If they made that an option you could pay extra for, I'd be very happy indeed.

8. FrankCowperwood

See, this is why Rancourt should read this thread.

9. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

Yeah, I'll still to loafers/mocs/Blake boots if I add any more Rancourts. It's a bit of a risky move ordering their first blucher anyway.

Any recs for a good brand of heel grips?

10. FrankCowperwood

I went with tongue pads to try to adjust the fit. The one time I use heel pads, they eventually rubbed of and then my heel was sticking the back of the shoe... :(

Maybe I didn't get a good set.

And I did try inserts in the wingtips, but that just seemed to exacerbate the problem by raising my heel further out of the cup.

11. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

Somehow I think the fit could be improved by adding a pair of eyelets.

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

13. metarays

metarays Member

14. cathpah

cathpah Senior Member

That leather is in dire need of some condition. Totally dried out.

15. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

My natural CXL ranger mocs have gotten a little darker after a few months of wear.

(No maintenance beyond wiping down with damp cloth.)