• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points all.

I haven't read back through this recent discussion, but I recall that the construction of Rancourt's shoes requires that they replace the insole when resoling (because it's stitched to the outsole?) I may not remember this point correctly. But if that's the case, then perhaps it makes more sense to work with a material that's less costly for something that's far from a permanent part of the shoe.

Looking forward to getting my handsewn Rancourts on again soon!

Replacing the insole shouldn't be required from a construction standpoint. While the insole is stitched to the midsole (Blake/Rapid) before the outsole is stitched to the midsole, the midsole and insole could remain in place if their integrity were sound. Sorry for that tongue twister!
biggrin.gif

When replacing the midsole (if necessary), the stitches could simply be cut with a knife and then a new one could be stitched on. The insole doesn't have to be replaced. They are just replacing it for longevity reasons (since it isn't as durable as a nice slab of thick leather), which I appreciate and find respectable. Like I said, that's what makes them worth their money. Otherwise, you might as well just buy a pair of Sperry or Bass.

thonez

Reaction score

Just picked up the dark olive CXL beefrolls that Portland Dry Goods is stocking as one of their stocked "custom" makeups. Dustin, at PDG, is forever friendly and incredibly knowledgable, and he was the one who put this design together...so hats off to him. They're probably the best looking loafer I've ever seen, and the Lactae Hevea sole is absolutely perfect for these...comfortable as hell, but the heel keeps it more formal than a standard crepe sole (wedge). For Made-in-Maine handsewns, I own Quoddys, OSBs, and now Rancourts, and they're all beautiful in their own right, but there's something special about this dark olive CXL. Just barely green--almost like a darker version of Natural CXL with that unique greenish/greyish hue--so they're incredibly versatile. I'm in love.
Damn that leather is nice. Already have some pennys , but would cop quick if anywhere is stocking ranger mocs in this leather.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Danforth wingtips today:
Looking good. How do you find the fit in the heel on these? I went with 11E for the wingtips I ordered and the width/sizing of the forefoot feels good to me, but the heel cup feels as if it is cut pretty low so there's a fair amount of slip. Not sure if that means I should have gone 11 D or if there's something about their design.

GooseG

Reaction score
Looking good. How do you find the fit in the heel on these? I went with 11E for the wingtips I ordered and the width/sizing of the forefoot feels good to me, but the heel cup feels as if it is cut pretty low so there's a fair amount of slip. Not sure if that means I should have gone 11 D or if there's something about their design.
I have slipping as well, and it's hard to tell whether that's a result of sole break-in or not. The rest of the shoe matches up with the ball of my foot, and I have a little room forward of my toes due to the shape.

I'm a 9D Brannock, but there's no way in hell I could size down to 8.5D and 8.5E would have my heel swimming. I think it's something about the design- for now, I'm wearing this pair on cooler days (thicker socks) and may add insoles.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like we're in pretty much the same boat. It's not a deal breaker for me on the pair I own, but it makes me unsure about how I'd size another pair, which I don't need anyway... :rotflmao:

MattBernier

Reaction score
@MoneyWellSpent: Very well put, about the different kinds of abuse shoes put to hard work receive, versus shoes that are used normally but for a very long time. What you said about their replaceable nature really making them worth their value is particularly true. I do sort of wish the insoles WERE all leather, because I prefer the feel. But then I think of my Aldens, which even after recrafting aren't quite like new, because those non-replacable insoles have slow-burn worn out, as you described. And it makes me happy that the boots I've ordered will be able to be renewed from within. What I'd really like is ALL leather, no cork or padding, like in my White's boots. Comfortable and absolutely bombproof. They could cut them out of their midsole leather, which they cut in-house from these sheets of belly hide thicker than anything I've ever handled. If they made that an option you could pay extra for, I'd be very happy indeed.

GooseG

Reaction score
Sounds like we're in pretty much the same boat. It's not a deal breaker for me on the pair I own, but it makes me unsure about how I'd size another pair, which I don't need anyway...
rotflmao.gif
Yeah, I'll still to loafers/mocs/Blake boots if I add any more Rancourts. It's a bit of a risky move ordering their first blucher anyway.

Any recs for a good brand of heel grips?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went with tongue pads to try to adjust the fit. The one time I use heel pads, they eventually rubbed of and then my heel was sticking the back of the shoe... :(

Maybe I didn't get a good set.

And I did try inserts in the wingtips, but that just seemed to exacerbate the problem by raising my heel further out of the cup.

GooseG

Reaction score
I went with tongue pads to try to adjust the fit. The one time I use heel pads, they eventually rubbed of and then my heel was sticking the back of the shoe...
frown.gif

Maybe I didn't get a good set.

And I did try inserts in the wingtips, but that just seemed to exacerbate the problem by raising my heel further out of the cup.
Somehow I think the fit could be improved by adding a pair of eyelets.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cathpah

Reaction score

helius0

Reaction score
Based on this picture:
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...b8d27136e95/p/h/photo_jan_28_3_10_02_pm_1.jpg

Assuming that these are natural chromexcel would I then expect them to become lighter rather than darker? I've been looking on the internet and most natural chromexcel shoes turn darker so I was rather confused with this photo. Thanks!

My natural CXL ranger mocs have gotten a little darker after a few months of wear.

(No maintenance beyond wiping down with damp cloth.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics