RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I actually wear the handsewns TTS to the 11D I measure on the Brannock, same as Barrie.

I recall being told that my arch measures more 11.5, if that makes any sense, so that and the width of my foot may be why I don't really size down where others do.

I find that it's some combination of the leather and the lack of lining in the Rancourt handsewns that let them mold to my foot nicely. That being said, sizing is very personal, so it's very much a case of YMMV.

:)

2. tallwhite

tallwhite Member

I worry a bit about sizing plain toe boots based on their test loafers, but I am considering it. Kyle actually got back to me today by email and I'm waiting for another response confirming my sizing questions. I wanted to get an official opinion and a Styleforum opinion.

The boots are holding up well for you, though? I don't plan to do super rugged stuff in them as they'll be suede, but I do plan on putting a lug sole on for some light hiking/woods walking and general casual wear. This would be my first pair of non-Goodyear welted boots and the sleekness is exciting to me. Do you all think they would be well-suited to my purposes? They won't be babied but they also won't be work boots, exactly.

3. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Yes, I like my Blakes very much. The color combo I chose isn't very versatile, but I did it because I wanted something unique. The minilug has been great especially now that the leather sole is breaking in, and the CXL is considerably thicker than my Indy boots.

4. tallwhite

tallwhite Member

Thanks again, fellas. I'm getting really antsy on ordering these so I'm glad to compile some last minute data to make sure I do it right.

I'm looking at:

Khaki Calico, unlined (edit: or maybe Olive Mohave still, trying to get a nice medium tan color)
    No toe cap
    Antique Brass eyelets
    Brown laces (obviously easily changeable)
    Natural midsole
    Black Vibram minilug

RLH soles are looking pretty cool too, but with my clumsiness I'm afraid I'd chip them too easily.

Besides the issue another user (Bakes?) had with them not fulfilling his request, has anyone had luck ordering a different stitching color? I'd like something darker than what they use stock, perhaps brown or black.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I find that the Blake Boots fit very True To Brannock Size.

6. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

Do people find that the last used for ranger mocs fit more or less the same as for other shoes? I have a pair of cxl pinch pennies and buckaroo camp mocs, both in 9.5e, and both fit well. I'm planning on ordering some cxl ranger mocs, and am thinking I'll just order the same size. Fwiw in terms of sizing down for handsewns, 9.5e is basically my brannock size - any smaller and I seriously wouldn't have been able to wear the shoes initially.

7. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

As a trail worker in the Maine Conservation Corps with an interest in menswear, I wanted to chime in on this. I first saw rancourt boots and shoes in Portland Dry goods, right here in Maine. But I have enough regular shoes and not a lot of excess cash, so even though I'm willing to spend it on good shoes, I couldn't justify it.

During my fall season, we were stationed in a spike came on the side of Mt. OJI in Baxter, cutting new trail. We were walking a lot, but not doing anything spectacularly abusive to the boots, by trail standards. My teammate Eric had bought brand new Carolina steel toe work boots for the season. These, to be exact: http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=CA3524 Not long after our nine week run there was done, his stitching was coming undone in multiple places, and the soles were delaminating. Over the remaining three weeks at various other sites, the soles came completely off, the shanks dropped out, and the steel toes dropped out.

Katie recently gave my girlfriend and I a very thorough tour of Rancourt's factory. And she made a point of telling us, their shoes are made to look nice, not be work boots. But I can tell you this: I have a lot of experience putting sewn welt shoes through abuse that kills well cared for Red Wings in two years in most cases, and Rancourts are more robustly built than many work boots made today, in terms of stitching and how they'll hold together. AND they're repairable. (They lack the structure that makes a work boot stiff and protective however, so don't drop things on your foot in them. The boot will survive it, the bones in your foot will not.)

I'm getting a seven eyelet pair of boots made with the intention of using them as hiking boots, for non-work purposes only. I could really use some hiking boots that aren't steel toes. I have every reason to believe they'll take as much, if not more than Eric's so-called "work boots" held up to, though I have no intention of abusing them like that. I'll let you all know how they work out, and post photos when they arrive.

8. tallwhite

tallwhite Member

@MattBernier thank you for the wonderful response! This sounds just like the type of "abuse" I will be doing to mine. I absolutely love being in the woods! I'll actually be visiting your state with my girlfriend this Spring and we're both very excited to see Maine for the first time.

And to everyone who offered sizing advice (or at least confirmation), thanks again. Kyle Rancourt's advice mirrored yours, and you helped me feel confident enough to order my first pair of Rancourts tonight. I will update with photos in just a few weeks, hopefully!

9. MattBernier

@tallwhite Time will tell if I'm correct, but the thread is strong, the leather is strong (in my case, very thick Olive Chromexel), and the leather midsole and sole are both very solid, the stitching attaching the midsole isn't exposed at all, and those are all the structures that could fail.

10. FrankCowperwood

@MattBernier interesting story. Thanks. Are your seven eyelet boots of the handsewn variety? That sounds great.

11. MattBernier

@FrankCowperwood They are! I wish they could do the blake boots higher, but they can't. At least not now, they'd need new dies made. But the five eyelet style can be taken up to seven eyelets, making it tall enough to keep mosquitoes off my ankles. They can bite through pants and socks, but not leather.

12. FrankCowperwood

You do have some sturdy mosquitos in Maine. A few black flies too I hear. But all well worth it in such a beautiful state.

Great to hear they can do a seven eyelet handsewn. I really like the look of the taller boot. Post a photo when yours come in please.

13. MattBernier

@FrankCowperwood We do have one or two black flies, from time to time. To be specific, one or two per square inch, from spring till fall in some areas. They don't have the seven eyelet as a feature on the custom build page, but just like mud guards, they are an option nonetheless. They've done special makeups that tall for different companies (in fact they were doing a bunch with shearling lining when I toured, for I-forget-who, but God the shearling hide was nice), so they have the dies handy. I'd get them ten eyelets tall if I could. I have become a convert to tall boots in the woods. I sure will post photos, I'm gonna be a proud papa. Had these on my mind for about half a year now.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

These sound like they will be one of the coolest make-ups ever posted in this thread.

15. MattBernier

Perhaps more folks will be ordering tall boots from them! I'd love to have someone else to compare notes with as our boots age.