RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I like that! What laces are they?

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

^^ Oh good! I have to get an order going through there soon. One stop shop!

4. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Oh god... no!

My shopping cart would be a massacre to the credit care. Reno, brushes, deer bone, etc..

Just used the Benjos code, checked out!

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

That sounds exactly like what I'll be ordering!

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Fwiw, Brooks Brothers is having a decent sale on the Rancourt loafers right now.

7. aphelan

aphelan Senior member

I settled on the Blake Boot in Color 8 CXL with a mini lug sole in natural. Excited!

What product should I use to treat the CXL?

8. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That will be a very nice pair of boots. Hope they turn out to your liking. I've used Montana pitch blend on brown CXL.

9. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

I use Venetian Shoe Cream on all my CXL shoes. Although, others have used products like Pitch Blend, Reno, and even Obenauf's LP on CXL with good results.

The only thing I wouldn't use on those boots is probably wax polish.

10. FrankCowperwood

Right. CXL is really pretty tough. I too don't see the point of wax polish, but anything that waterproofs and gives some moisture should be fine. I like Montana Pitch Blend because it's all natural. I apply it with my fingers.

11. tallwhite

tallwhite Member

Good day, Styleforum folks.

I'm coming out of over a year of lurking this site and this thread to request some sizing advice. I'm looking to build a custom pair of suede Blake Boots. My apologies if it feels like you guys have done this a million times before, but I've read through this entire thread and most of the sizing info is in regards to loafers and other handsewns.

@FrankCowperwood your advice would be especially helpful because your suede Blakes are almost EXACTLY the makeup I'm going for (beautiful, by the way!). I understand you technically went UP a half size, and I'm interested in how that's working out for you at this point.

My Brannock measurement is 12D, but just a bit on the narrow side, and I have a pretty high instep. I'm looking at unlined suede Blake boots in Calico Khaki, Olive Mohave or Peanut (or even Toast if Rancourt carries it). I would be wearing these with medium-thick wool socks. I have read much about going TTS and that's the direction I'm leaning, but I'm hesitant to drop $375 on boots that don't fit just right. My hesitation mostly comes from the fact that I wear 12D in almost all my shoes including AE's 5-65, but 11.5 in OSB chromexcel trail ox and I can get all the way down to 11D in some of my boots (Iron Rangers, Thorogoods). I don't want my toes to be squeezed by any means, but I also don't want boots I can only wear with my thickest socks to fill them out. I want to be able to wear these year round.

Considering my length is a pretty solid 12, do you guys think I should stop waffling and order size 12? I'll probably be getting the Vibram mini-lug sole if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much guys!

12. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Sole would make little to no difference.

I'm 9D Brannock and take a 9D in the Blake boot. I've got plenty of room in it.

13. FrankCowperwood

Welcome to the thread @tallwhite. I did in fact go with 11.5 D for the suede Blake boots. My feet are a little on the wide side, and Rancourt handsewns fit me snugly in 11D. I believe they are recommending going up a 1/2 size on the Blakes boots on the Rancourt site.

My suede boots are unlined, and I wouldn't say they are particularly roomy. For example, I don't think I could wear them with really heavy wool socks comfortably (though I haven't tried since I got them as more a warmer weather boot).

For reference, if it helps, I wear an 11D in Barrie last boots and shoes from Alden and I have a pair of 11D 1000 Mile boots from Wolverine, which are quite roomy for me. I might have actually been able to go 10.5D on those. No experience with OSB, unfortunately.

Overall, I don't feel as if the Blake boots are particularly high volume. Of course GooseG offers an example of going TTS with them. One thing is that a 1/2 size too big is going to be something you can adjust with socks and maybe an insole. Whereas a 1/2 size too small is probably never really going to work out.

I wonder if you could get length and width measurements from Rancourt. That's not very precise, but it could help you see if you are in the ballpark with a given size.

Good luck.

14. tallwhite

tallwhite Member

Thank you both very much. Looks like I'll probably go with my true 12D. I will definitely update with pictures when they come.

15. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Your experience is consistent with my own. 9D Brannock/Blake, 8.5 Barrie size, and even Rancourt recommends sizing down for the handsewns because they run large.

Alternatively, just do the fit program that Rancourt offers to be sure.