RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^^That will be a go-to shoe. I think the color combinations are great and the RLH ranger sole is a good idea. Will be very practical.

Natural CXL is a great looking leather.

Will look forward to seeing photos in a couple of weeks.

2. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Thanks! I was originally going to do a natural midsole with antique eyelets but thought that looked a little too one-note. I thought the black sets off the natural CXL well.

3. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Agreed on the natural. My CXL Alden longwings are only a month old, but already my favorite pair of shoes.

4. Dman33

Dman33 Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a question to anyone who owns the Clymer boots. How do they hold up in crappy weather? (snow, sleet, rain, etc.). I'm looking for a pair of all purpose boots and really like the style of the Clymer. I looked at the Red Wing 1907''s, but they're just not a good fit for my feet. I already own some ranger mocs from Rancourt, so I figure the Clymer would make sense. Any input would be great!

5. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

CXL is one of those leathers where there is wisdom going both ways.

Here is my view: CXL has a lot of wax and oils, so the leather itself will hold up in rain and snow to the extent that it won't get damaged. However, it will soak through if you're going through puddles/snow/wetness and get your feet wet. If you want it to be exposed to such things regularly, you need to waterproof the boots with some kind of wax-based product, either sno-seal or obenauf's LP, a la the Crane's method (over on the wolverine 1000 mile thread). My CXL rangers (and CXL boots) have shown this to be true... the ones that I treat stay dry, the ones I don't treat get wet all the way through.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Joining the Rancourt club! Just picked up these ranger mocs from BB. They were at $186 and got the post 15% xmas kicker.

I wear a 9d in the barrie last and got the 9.5D. They don't fit loose or tight. Just right. I know a lot you have saying that they should fit tight and eventually they'll expand. Should I go for the 9ds? I don't want them to sag out.

I'm wearing them with the dress sox (semithin) that I wore today at work. I think if I would put on some thick socks they would be tight. Also, I didn't overly tighten the laces. I plan to wear them with regular basic semithin dress socks and sans socks in the summer.

Also, the BB website only says they are Horween leather, but are they CXL? The leather looks a little dry. Should I put some conditioner on it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Welcome to the club!

Sizing sounds right based on my experience.

Not sure what leather that might be.

8. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks! The size 9.5 will work. I decided after wearing them w/o socks just now.

I'm thinking they may be CXL because the leather seems to become light if you push it from the inside. See the video below on these other cxl rancourts:

[​IMG]
    Really excited about these. Now, if it would only warm up, ha!

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That just means that it is a pull-up leather, but not necessarily CXL. Rancourt offers a few different pull-up leathers. It may indeed be CXL, it is just the grained textured that confuses me.

10. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

It's probably buckaroo, which is effectively CXL but with a texture. It's close enough and as long as its Horween, you can assume it'll have enough of the same ruggedness.

11. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

Those are definitely the buckaroo - I've got a pair of camp mocs in the light brown buckaroo (pics earlier in this thread somewhere) and they look just like that. I've found them to be quite tough, though not as stretchy as cxl.

12. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

As much as I love the Beefroll loafers, I have one big gripe: the heel.

It's just one very small tab of rubber, and any heel striker will destroy it in a matter of a few months. I have heel taps on mine but they've made the shoe a little slippery and loud to walk on.

13. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I have a similar thought about dove tails. However, I see a rubber heels, in general, serving two purposes: traction, and a surface to wear down to a curve that matches your gait. You don't need to replace them once they get to the leather, you can just keep walking. Leather on its own would take too long to wear down to this point, and the entire stack will be replaced when you get your shoe reheeled anyway.

Demonstration of this being okay can be seen in super high-end shoes that don't have any rubber on the heel at all. If walking with a leather edge was bad, those shoes would have to have rubber on the heel.

Of course, many people just reheel their shoes once they wear out the dove tail, but I think it's overkill.

14. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Interesting, I'd never really thought of that! It makes sense though, and I suppose it would only be a big problem if you wore through the stack itself and onto the sole.

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just received an email from Rancourt stating that my Cordovan Beefroll Penny Loafers had shipped. Not bad since the ship date was actually supposed to take place on the 3rd. Besides I actually thought I might be receiving an email instead stating there might be a delay considering the holidays.