• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the lasts were designed in order to achieve the desired shape for the particular shoe, and the generosity of fit for the type of model is secondary. ( Just my suspicion.) Not much of a problem when you can just order the size/width combination that suits you best, if your brannock size is too generous or whatever.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the lasts were designed in order to achieve the desired shape for the particular shoe, and the generosity of fit for the type of model is secondary. ( Just my suspicion.) Not much of a problem when you can just order the size/width combination that suits you best, if your brannock size is too generous or whatever.
Here's hoping the Beefrolls I ordered work for me.
puzzled.gif

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those last numbers were reversed. The Rangers are on the 800 last, the Beefrolls are on the 114. And the 800 last is indeed much more generous. For what it's worth, Rancourt and Allen Edmonds use the same 800 and 114 lasts (Rancourt had a period where it was making shoes for Allen Edmonds, though I'm not sure who created the lasts originally), though AE uses the 800 last for some of its loafers, and the 114 for others.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those last numbers were reversed. The Rangers are on the 800 last, the Beefrolls are on the 114. And the 800 last is indeed much more generous. For what it's worth, Rancourt and Allen Edmonds use the same 800 and 114 lasts (Rancourt had a period where it was making shoes for Allen Edmonds, though I'm not sure who created the lasts originally), though AE uses the 800 last for some of its loafers, and the 114 for others.
I have no idea since I don't own any loafers, but this certainly makes more sense to me. I still find it hard to believe they would make a loafer last which would be more generous than a last designed for shoes which use laces.

Either way I will certainly will be able to compare both of them in person in a couple of weeks.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find the loafer last to fit my foot better than the Ranger Moc. I love my Espresso ranger mods but they are not one of my best fitting pairs of shoes. The new Blake seems to fit me the best.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the loafer last to fit my foot better than the Ranger Moc. I love my Espresso ranger mods but they are not one of my best fitting pairs of shoes. The new Blake seems to fit me the best.

In regards to sizing are you loafers smaller by a half size, are both pairs in cordovan, and are both of your shoes unlined or lined?

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have found that I'm an 10.5 in pretty much all AE shoes, except for a pair of park aves that i wear thin dress socks with, but with Rancourt penny and venetian loafers, I'm a 10 d. basically i use my barrie last size now for those. I have not tried on Ranger mocs, so i'm not sure if I would be 10d or 10.5 d. from this discussion it looks like I would be 10d.

these are my new MTO, navy shell with RLH honey sole. i had to order twice. first time was in 10.5d, too big (going up on Ebay soon). the second time was 10d. fits like a glove. now that I have the right size, I love them.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
the rancourt shell seems pretty dry and less glossy than Alden. I know other people have written about this before, but any quick tips for dealing with this? Venetian shoe cream?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the rancourt shell seems pretty dry and less glossy than Alden. I know other people have written about this before, but any quick tips for dealing with this? Venetian shoe cream?
My method was copious brushing and a bit of Saphir Reno. I am pretty happy with the results overall. You could also use neutral cordovan creme if you do not want to use Reno on shell

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads