• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

GooseG

Reaction score
Burzan, I don't have knowledge of that model, but (and this is just my opinion)

I wasn't very keen on the repello used on my Danforths. The nap had an inconsistent length, and looked kind of odd after I hit them with my suede brush.

If it's Orion or Mohave, I'd be on it though. Most of their suedes come from Horween or SB Foot (Red Wing), and they're great. The repello does not.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, when I met Kyle, I tried to buy a pair of sock-liners from him (that's what they call the half-insoles on their Maine style shoes) for me to use as insoles on a non-Rancourt pair. He refused to take any money from me and sent me a pair promptly after pop-up flea. Just thought I'd give him another shoutout for being awesome. If I didn't already own 5 pairs of Rancourts, this would encourage me to buy more.

Current Rancourt Collection:
Peanut Calico Suede chukka-moc
Brown CXL Ranger on Aspen LH
#8 CXL boat shoe
#8 shell Ranger on Tempest
Natty shell beefrolls

It's the only brand I've bought multiple pairs of so far that I haven't been inclined to sell any pairs for being mistake purchases.

Edit: received the insoles, and man are they comfortable. For anyone interested in how they are constructed, they appear to be ~9 oz CXL (which is pretty thick) glued/sewn onto a foam pad, and shaved to be thinner toward the front where your foot leaves. I'll post a pic later. Definitely exactly what I wanted, and perfect for making my Indy boots fit a whole lot better.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for summer. I just submitted the following custom order:

style: Beefroll Penny Loafer
soles: Montello Tempest
size-left: 11
size_left_11_widths: D
size-right: 11.5 size_right_11.5_widths: D
colorblock_collar: Caramel Shell Cordovan
colorblock_backstay: Caramel Shell Cordovan
colorblock_plug: Caramel Shell Cordovan
colorblock_vamp: Caramel Shell Cordovan
colorblock_saddle: Caramel Shell Cordovan
lining: Unlined thread:
Tan soles_tempest_soles: Natural

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone comment on the quality / comfort of the clymer 2 vs. Oak Street Bootmakers ?

Sorry, I can't compare the 2 as I don't own any Oak Street Bootmakers.

However I can say I'm extremely pleased with Rancourts quality and the comfort of my Clymer 2s.

I was so pleased that since purchasing a pair of Clymer 2's I have since purchased a pair of Cordovan Ranger Mocs and I just ordered a pair of Cordovan Beefroll Penny Loafers.

I own a number of shoes from other shoemakers such as St. Crispins, John Lobb, Edward Green, G&G, Vass, C&J, Alfred Sargent, Carmina, Alden, and A&E. I would say that Rancourt is another shoemaker which makes a great quality product which if you like the style is certainly worth the price and worth considering.

Last edited:

mcdecker1

Reaction score

Sorry, I can't compare the 2 as I don't own any Oak Street Bootmakers.

However I can say I'm extremely pleased with Rancourts quality and the comfort of my Clymer 2s.

I was so pleased that since purchasing a pair of Clymer 2's I have since purchased a pair of Cordovan Ranger Mocs and I just ordered a pair of Cordovan Beefroll Penny Loafers.

I own a number of shoes from other shoemakers such as St. Crispins, John Lobb, G&G, Vass, C&J, Alfred Sargent, Carmina, Alden, and A&E. I would say that Rancourt is another shoemaker which makes a great quality product which if you like the style is certainly worth the price and worth considering.

Thanks for that,

anyone else? Trying to decide if Oak Street is worth the price difference? The designs are very similar

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own both and find them of equal quality. I would say the Oak Street lasts fit my feet slightly better but no hesitation recommending either

dusttruffle

Reaction score
i went with the tan/honey camp sole and all nat cxl beefroll (tan stitching).

i think the camp sole dresses the loafer down to a nice casual level.

very pleased. flown over by kind relatives. worth the wait. will break in indoors 'til summer.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for Rancourt fans: I'm thinking of the ordering the ranger moc in unlined natural CXL, but undecided on a sole. My first inclination was the plantation crepe, but now leaning more toward the RLH sole. What are the pros and cons? To be more specific, I'm looking for a shoes to wear fall/winter/spring through bipolar DC weather, but wouldn't mind something that doesn't look out of place sockless in summer as well. Does anyone know if Rancourt could make a thinner profile on the plantation crepe?

Lastly, as far as sizing, I wear an 8.5 in OSB's camp mocs and they fit perfectly. Would an 8.5 work for me at Rancourt as well?

Many thanks!

tampatravel

Reaction score
Question for Rancourt fans: I'm thinking of the ordering the ranger moc in unlined natural CXL, but undecided on a sole. My first inclination was the plantation crepe, but now leaning more toward the RLH sole. What are the pros and cons? To be more specific, I'm looking for a shoes to wear fall/winter/spring through bipolar DC weather, but wouldn't mind something that doesn't look out of place sockless in summer as well. Does anyone know if Rancourt could make a thinner profile on the plantation crepe?

Lastly, as far as sizing, I wear an 8.5 in OSB's camp mocs and they fit perfectly. Would an 8.5 work for me at Rancourt as well?

Many thanks!

Get a Dainite Sole and it'll fit the bill for everything. Waterproof and Low Profile! It would look similar to these Alden LHS version:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/25/red-dainite-resole-from-b-nelson-shoe/

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought about Dainite, but a couple issues: one is I'm not sure Rancourt even offers them - haven't seen anyone with a makeup involving Dainite soles; second, I'm wanting something a little chunkier than Dainite, which I associate more with sleeker dress shoes or loafers. But thanks for the suggestion. Those brick Dainites are killer. Would love to resole an old pair with those! Anyone else?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rancourt does not offer Dainite. I too am looking at doing a re-sole through B Nelson on an older pair

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I think the Montello Tempest is a nice option. That is the one I would go with.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I think the Montello Tempest is a nice option. That is the one I would go with.
file_11_34.jpg

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Thats the one...she is a beauty!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads