1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. GooseG

GooseG Senior Member

Burzan, I don't have knowledge of that model, but (and this is just my opinion)

I wasn't very keen on the repello used on my Danforths. The nap had an inconsistent length, and looked kind of odd after I hit them with my suede brush.

If it's Orion or Mohave, I'd be on it though. Most of their suedes come from Horween or SB Foot (Red Wing), and they're great. The repello does not.

2. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

So, when I met Kyle, I tried to buy a pair of sock-liners from him (that's what they call the half-insoles on their Maine style shoes) for me to use as insoles on a non-Rancourt pair. He refused to take any money from me and sent me a pair promptly after pop-up flea. Just thought I'd give him another shoutout for being awesome. If I didn't already own 5 pairs of Rancourts, this would encourage me to buy more.

Current Rancourt Collection:
    Peanut Calico Suede chukka-moc
    Brown CXL Ranger on Aspen LH
    #8 CXL boat shoe
    #8 shell Ranger on Tempest
    Natty shell beefrolls

It's the only brand I've bought multiple pairs of so far that I haven't been inclined to sell any pairs for being mistake purchases.

Edit: received the insoles, and man are they comfortable. For anyone interested in how they are constructed, they appear to be ~9 oz CXL (which is pretty thick) glued/sewn onto a foam pad, and shaved to be thinner toward the front where your foot leaves. I'll post a pic later. Definitely exactly what I wanted, and perfect for making my Indy boots fit a whole lot better.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

3. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Getting ready for summer. I just submitted the following custom order:

style: Beefroll Penny Loafer
    soles: Montello Tempest
    size-left: 11
    size_left_11_widths: D
    size-right: 11.5 size_right_11.5_widths: D
    colorblock_collar: Caramel Shell Cordovan
    colorblock_backstay: Caramel Shell Cordovan
    colorblock_plug: Caramel Shell Cordovan
    colorblock_vamp: Caramel Shell Cordovan
    colorblock_saddle: Caramel Shell Cordovan
    lining: Unlined thread:
    Tan soles_tempest_soles: Natural

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

4. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior Member

can someone comment on the quality / comfort of the clymer 2 vs. Oak Street Bootmakers ?

5. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Sorry, I can't compare the 2 as I don't own any Oak Street Bootmakers.

However I can say I'm extremely pleased with Rancourts quality and the comfort of my Clymer 2s.

I was so pleased that since purchasing a pair of Clymer 2's I have since purchased a pair of Cordovan Ranger Mocs and I just ordered a pair of Cordovan Beefroll Penny Loafers.

I own a number of shoes from other shoemakers such as St. Crispins, John Lobb, Edward Green, G&G, Vass, C&J, Alfred Sargent, Carmina, Alden, and A&E. I would say that Rancourt is another shoemaker which makes a great quality product which if you like the style is certainly worth the price and worth considering.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

6. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior Member

Thanks for that,

anyone else? Trying to decide if Oak Street is worth the price difference? The designs are very similar

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

I own both and find them of equal quality. I would say the Oak Street lasts fit my feet slightly better but no hesitation recommending either

8. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior Member

very pleased. flown over by kind relatives. worth the wait. will break in indoors 'til summer.

[​IMG]

9. eljlakers

eljlakers Distinguished Member

Question for Rancourt fans: I'm thinking of the ordering the ranger moc in unlined natural CXL, but undecided on a sole. My first inclination was the plantation crepe, but now leaning more toward the RLH sole. What are the pros and cons? To be more specific, I'm looking for a shoes to wear fall/winter/spring through bipolar DC weather, but wouldn't mind something that doesn't look out of place sockless in summer as well. Does anyone know if Rancourt could make a thinner profile on the plantation crepe?

Lastly, as far as sizing, I wear an 8.5 in OSB's camp mocs and they fit perfectly. Would an 8.5 work for me at Rancourt as well?

Many thanks!

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

Get a Dainite Sole and it'll fit the bill for everything. Waterproof and Low Profile! It would look similar to these Alden LHS version:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/25/red-dainite-resole-from-b-nelson-shoe/

11. eljlakers

eljlakers Distinguished Member

Thought about Dainite, but a couple issues: one is I'm not sure Rancourt even offers them - haven't seen anyone with a makeup involving Dainite soles; second, I'm wanting something a little chunkier than Dainite, which I associate more with sleeker dress shoes or loafers. But thanks for the suggestion. Those brick Dainites are killer. Would love to resole an old pair with those! Anyone else?

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

rancourt does not offer Dainite. I too am looking at doing a re-sole through B Nelson on an older pair

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I think the Montello Tempest is a nice option. That is the one I would go with.

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Thats the one...she is a beauty!