1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

Ha, beat me to it.

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Thanks! For some reason I didn't know that. Still, unfortunately, the NYC Press is closed for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. Teger

Teger Senior member

looking for some sizing advice with the wingtips - i'm a very snug 10.5 (sockless) in the beefroll loafers, and an 11 in ranger mocs. size recommendations for the blake wingtips?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I don't know about the loafers and mocs, but I'm a 10 D in the Blake boots and a 9.5 D in the wingtips. (Also a 9.5 D in the Alden Barrie last, if that helps too.)

5. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Senior member

Sorry I'm late to the game here. Cool shoes! I agree with the others about preferring the top model.

I was just putting together an olive cxl Ranger Moc myself, inspired by these photos from someone's ebay ad: olive cxl Ranger Mocs
    [​IMG]

The color on these ebay shoes is pretty dark, and they have the black RLH sole. The Rancourt design-your-own tool makes the olive cxl look fairly green. I remember the discussion here a month or two ago about the variation in dark olive cxl (I think @tifosi had some olive loafers that were more on the green end, for example). I'm wondering how the honey RLH sole would look (compared to black RLH) if the leather is fairly dark. What do you guys think?

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Refurbished and resoled shell beefrolls are on their way back to me. Might have them by the end of the week.

1 person likes this.
  7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Did u change to a different sole?

8. FrankCowperwood

Yes. Honey Aspen RLH with medium brown midsole. Going a bit more casual with the look since that's how I wear them anyway.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

How long did it take them?

10. FrankCowperwood

Inside three weeks from the time they got the shoes back. I forget right now when I mailed them. Pretty quick overall. I got the premium refurb, so I'm interested to see how the uppers come back. Technically they are supposed to have replaced the plug even I believe. Photos coming once I have them in hand of course

11. Neuromancer8

Neuromancer8 Member

If this helps, here's a picture of my dark olive CXL Clymers that I just received from Rancourt last week in more natural light. At first I thought they might have made a mistake and given me brown CXL, but mine have a greenish tint, whereas most of the brown CXL I see has a reddish tint. But I have to emphasize - mine are fairly dark. The shoes next to them are natty CXL, for reference.

[​IMG]

Also, I have this pair of Quoddy chukkas I bought from Leffot for reference (image stolen from Leffot website). The crepe sole is a bright yellow vs. the honey sole you are contemplating, but it should give you a better idea of the contrast between a darker brown and brighter sole.

[​IMG]

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Not bad at all Frank,can't wait to see the results and get your thoughts.

13. seasquirrel

seasquirrel Senior member

Super helpful x2! Thanks for the pictures. That helps a lot.

14. rawrz

rawrz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Definitely worth the wait.
    Next go around I will nee to order my right shoe half a size smaller than the left!

1 person likes this.
  15. FrankCowperwood

Clymer Ranger Mocs? Look great!

I'd really never have thought I'd be a fan of the white wedge sole, but now here I am. I own it, I like these, and I can see it in my future.

BTW, refurbished beefrolls are in hand. They look practically brand new. Can tell they are mine though because of a few details of the wear. And the fit has snugged up nicely (is that a word? "snugged?").

Photos later today.

16. rawrz

rawrz Well-Known Member

They are the clymer 2.0 in cxl brown.

They are mother stinking beautiful.[​IMG]

17. FrankCowperwood

Here are the photos of the refurbished beefrolls (#8 shell, converted from leather sole to Aspen RLH):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are about two and a half years old.

5 people like this.
  18. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Got an email day before yesterday that Rancourt has shipped these to Massdrop, who should be shipping to the end-users straight away once they receive and process them. As an aside, they did get to the $250 price. Looking forward. Bought my first Rancourt's (natural shell venetian) during BB's last corporate sale and love them. This will be my first foray into the world of CXL.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  19. larrywright

larrywright Member

I need a little advice from people who know Rancourt and their products well (I've emailed them, but I wanted the perspective of the folks here as well).

I broke my foot late last year, and although it's healed (after two surgeries and many hours of physical therapy), it's not quite the same shape it was before. It's my right foot, and I have a bit of a bump towards the top of my foot, over the arch. It's not massive, but looks sort of like a "goose egg" when you bump your head. The surgeon said that while it might go down in size about 10%, it's a permanent addition.

This makes shoes a bit challenging. I'm not able to wear all the shoes in my inventory now, as some are just too narrow to accommodate the bump. There are some D width shoes that fit fine, and I've got a pair of AE shoes in E width that are more comfortable on the right foot, but a little loose on the left.

On top of this, the doctor has advised me not to wear shoes with very flexible soles. He encouraged me to wear something more rigid, like a leather sole. That's fine for my work shoes and for boots and things during the cooler months, but I'd rather not wear leather soles during the summer with shorts.

So, I'm looking at getting a pair of Rancourt shoes, and looking at something like the Ranger Moc. My thought was to go with Chromexcel because it's stretchier and would help accommodate the bump on my foot. I'm wondering about sole options though. I like the look of the RLH soles, and I've heard they're quite comfortable, but I am not sure how flexible they are.

I'm hoping someone here can weigh in on whether this is a good choice for the sole, or if I should look at something else (tempest or montello maybe?). Also is my thinking on the choice of Chromexcel sound? I know that shell doesn't stretch well, so it wouldn't likely be a good choice.

20. larrywright

larrywright Member

Also, one more question: does Rancourt use a steel shank in the sole, even on shoes like the Ranger-Moc?