RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

Sweet shoes man.

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Thanks. Not sure if it's necessary, but here's something of a glamor shot that shows the color well
    [​IMG]

I've got a pair of these coming as well. :embar: Really glad, looking at your photos, MGD, that I chose green. These look great, particularly with the crepe sole. Being unlined should make extremely comfortable. I'd say you can wear these with denim and with anything in the brown spectrum, easily. Probably some other combos too. I'd just wear 'em and not worry about it. People will dig the green chukkas.:)

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Well done. Both look great. I wasn't, I thought, a fan of the camp soles, but they look great on the pinch pennys. And that brown CXL is really warm and rich.

Belt looks excellent. For a clarification, is that "tan shell"? Same as the "tan shell" loafers on Rancourt webstore? The "saddle" in the title threw me off. I have been thinking a pair of ranger mocs in tan shell would be nice, and this confirms that thought.

Edit: And very happy to hear the sizing worked out for you!

Last edited: May 17, 2012

4. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

5. mothball

mothball Senior member

Frank, the loafers look great, and that belt is fantastic. Mack, I like that green suede a lot.

6. FrankCowperwood

I believe tan and saddle shell are one and the same and I'm pretty sure it would make a stunning ranger moc. From looking at the belt, it's a very natural color. I'd go for it.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the camp sole, but it felt right for this shoe and I really like the honey color. Keeps the profile low since you don't need a midsole. I also have plenty of leather soled shoes, so can't hurt to have some rubber. Paired with the CXL, should be pretty sturdy.

7. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Yes, I think you made a nice choice with the honey camp soles. And a little variation is always good.

My issue with the tan shell ranger mocs is that I find myself under-wooed by the sole options. Find myself wanting something welted and more substantial ala:

[​IMG]

Or is that just my imagination?

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion on what matches up with the green suede. I tried out several different colored pants with them tonight and they seem to be a lot more versatile than I thought, so I'm pretty happy about that. Yes, they are very comfortable right off the bat and are pretty much a no-brainer at the clearance + F&F sale price. I just might pickup another color if they are still around during the next BB sale.

9. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

See rancourtandts.tumblr.com for inspiration.

Anyway any of you have both ranger moc and loafer? Do you size the same? I'm thinking to size down from 13D to 13C? Am I going crazy here?
    My worry is that loafer won't have flexibility to tighten the instep area.

I want to get olive cxl venetian loafer + leather midsole + red camp sole.....

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I got the blue mocs BB is selling on their website right now. Nice color, really comfortable.

11. FrankCowperwood

I have a pair of Alden Cape Cod collection shoes that are hand sewn at least in part (in the toe, I think, but elsewhere it looks like machine stitching). These are on a more traditional welt, though not anything as stiff as the PTB you have pictured. So I imagine it's possible to put this kind of welt on a ranger moc, if not exactly in the Rancourt style. I'd also guess that requires having the right machine to do it. Have you emailed Kyle about this question?

Agree that these were a no brainer. I try not to be drawn into the mentality of buying things just because they are discounted, but we know these are quality shoes and that they will look good. $125 is an outrageous price for them (I paid shipping...). Good to hear you found they work with a variety of color pants. Enjoy them and post some photos of them in action. I'll do the same.

Going down a width isn't crazy and could well work. I think that you are very right that a loafer should probably fit a little more snugly to start with, particularly CXL, which will stretch some in my experience.

Are you a pretty standard D width and how is your toe room in a 13? I ask because I'm generally an 11 and almost an E. In the Rancourts I have (no ranger moc yet), 11 puts my toe right at the end of the shoe without discomfort, but E is a little wide and D is a little tight. I just bought the pinch pennies in 11.5 B (I don't think Rancourt lists C on its website) with the idea of giving myself a little more toe room and trying to dial in the width at that longer length. I think it worked. Planning on wearing the shoes around this weekend, so I'll find out for sure.

So, if 13D is comfortably wide in a ranger moc for you, then going down a width might work well for a loafer. Keep in mind that changing the width at a given length is going to reduce the overall volume of the show, so maybe think about 13.5B unless that's going to be way to long.

Sorry to rehash this all for everyone who's read it already...

BTW that venetian makeup sounds great. Hope you can get the sizing figured out.

12. mothball

mothball Senior member

A couple of pictures of the snuff suede ranger mocs I ordered--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The casco lining is really soft and feels great, and I love the suede. They're very comfortable right out of the box.

13. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

^^
    please report on your 11.5B experience, i'm exploring if I can get trial shoes first.

14. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

I haven't asked Kyle about the welt, since I was more or less assuming that they didn't do that style. But there was mention that they have welt construction capacity, and they seem to be hatching plans to move into dress shoes etc. So maybe it is worth asking. Kyle did inform me that they do not have a recessed lug commando sole like the one on the Alden PTB above. Even more than the welt, I'd like to have the recessed lugs up front, with scalloping visible on heel. Just think that would be a nice rugged look for a "ranger".

15. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

The snuff suede mocs look even better in the wild, than they did at the factory! Nice shoe/pant combination!