• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Got the email today saying the green shells are in production...

Green shell, Black deerskin lining, black eyelets, Black Cotton Laces,
Montello Minilug sole w/hell & Dark brown edge stain

Suhweeeet

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Natural CXL Ranger Mocs with a little more wear:

I've somehow resisted buying anything during the sale, but I have the feeling I'm going to cave soon.

Looking good.

Got the email today saying the green shells are in production...

Green shell, Black deerskin lining, black eyelets, Black Cotton Laces,
Montello Minilug sole w/hell & Dark brown edge stain

These should be outstanding. Very interested to see how the Blake wingtip makes up in shell.

Calikid

Reaction score
So is anybody going to order the wingtip in Navy/Natural Shell?
I've been playing around with it on the site and I think it would look awesome... I am tempted...
of course I am also tempted by the blake boot, the blake captoe boot, the ranger moc etc. to many choices and what an opportunity to score some nice shoes/boots at a 20% discount. Decisions, Decisions....

Has anyone seen a wingtip in person? What is is like?

Of course I ask that after I already ordered a pair.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Steven Alan's Rancourt wingtip in person, they didn't have any in my size to try on. It was nice, but I wasn't a fan of the calfskin leather on it. Though, IMHO, calfskin isn't a strength of Rancourt's, really. Getting a too-spec MTO version in 3 weeks with shell and CXL though? That'd make it pretty awesome. That said, I'd go with filling out your collection (though, honestly, do you even have any gaps at this point?) Go with shell rangers, I say!

Still no word on shipment of my natty shell beefrolls that were supposed to ship last week. Hoping they'll just show up one of these days without a tracking number/shipping notification. I know that when shipped they'll get here the next day, so hopefully they get into FedEx's hands by Thursday. Want to get at least a couple weekends use out of them this summer!

As an aside, a brief update on one of my pairs, my #8 CXL boat shoes. I must say that these are by far my most disappointing shoe. They've been to the beach, been in the office, gotten soaked tons of time, and exposed to tons of sunlight. And yet no patina. The goddamn things look brand new still. Moulded to my foot of course, and with some light creasing, but still a deep brown color. Yeah, tongue in cheek, but actually I really was hoping to get some patination out of them. I like a boat shoe that looks beaten to ****, and this looks way too nice. If I got it over again, I'd get it in natural CXL for sure.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Photo of my brand new Natty CXl beefrolls. They were a bit snug when I first put them on, but they are breaking in nicely. Barrie size is definitely the perfect fit.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Photo of my brand new Natty CXl beefrolls. They were a bit snug when I first put them on, but they are breaking in nicely. Barrie size is definitely the perfect fit.

Those look beautiful! I agree on the Barrie sizing.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you specially request the box stitch on the saddle? Or did they do it without asking you? It's not on their online pictures, but this is the second picture I've seen of beefrolls with this box (they had a brown pair showing it off on instagram. I really, really don't want one and I'm going to be unhappy if my natty shell beefrolls show up with it (like, send it right back to them unhappy).

Mind you, they don't look bad. And your loafers look great. But they are definitely not my taste, and I'd be unhappy if they changed a major aesthetic on an expensive pair of shoes without telling me. Especially when (outside of the current sale) they are being sticklers for "any deviations from what's on the website pushes you up to the custom pricing."

Last edited:

gmmiddle

Reaction score
I'm still on the edge. Especially with the Trickers MTO option. I have until the 6th I guess.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Did you specially request the box stitch on the saddle? Or did they do it without asking you? It's not on their online pictures, but this is the second picture I've seen of beefrolls with this box (they had a brown pair showing it off on instagram. I really, really don't want one and I'm going to be unhappy if my natty shell beefrolls show up with it (like, send it right back to them unhappy).

Mind you, they don't look bad. And your loafers look great. But they are definitely not my taste, and I'd be unhappy if they changed a major aesthetic on an expensive pair of shoes without telling me. Especially when (outside of the current sale) they are being sticklers for "any deviations from what's on the website pushes you up to the custom pricing."
I just noticed that as well. I thought something looked different. My beefrolls do not have that box stitch, either.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I did not ask for the box stitch and didn't pay any extra for it. Actually, I didn't even notice until you guys caught it.

I personally don't care. The shoes look great, and feel better with every wear.

Now I guess I have something custom that sets my shoes apart from everyone else's.

Here's hoping it was a one time "mess up" and no one else can ever get my 'rare - box stitched' shoes.

:)

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looking good. Snug is definitely where you want to start with CXL. Those are going to just look better and better as you wear them. Enjoy.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Katie, my beefrolls were damaged and had to be remade. Should be shipping tomorrow. So that answers that, not a problem, will still ship on time. I also shot her an email double checking that they didn't put a box stitch on them.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just heard back from Katie, she says that this is now standard procedure. I don't really get how they can just make an unannounced change like that, especially on Made to Order and custom shoes. She asked how I would like to proceed, so I asked if I could see a picture of how the stitch was done. Basically, if it's right next to the slot then I really, really don't want them. It breaks up the long geometry of the saddle, and just doesn't look good. If it's done the way that OSB does theirs, though (where the stitch is wayyyy off to the side, basically framing the entire saddle, rather than just framing the slot, then I'd be fine with it and not make them make another pair of shoes.

If it's done the way the pictures look, though, where it's right next to the slot, I'm going to insist that I get a pair the way I ordered. I think they are going to get a *lot* of complaints over the next few weeks as people who custom ordered their beefrolls get surprised that they don't get what they ordered.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I just heard back from Katie, she says that this is now standard procedure. I don't really get how they can just make an unannounced change like that, especially on Made to Order and custom shoes. She asked how I would like to proceed, so I asked if I could see a picture of how the stitch was done. Basically, if it's right next to the slot then I really, really don't want them. It breaks up the long geometry of the saddle, and just doesn't look good. If it's done the way that OSB does theirs, though (where the stitch is wayyyy off to the side, basically framing the entire saddle, rather than just framing the slot, then I'd be fine with it and not make them make another pair of shoes.

If it's done the way the pictures look, though, where it's right next to the slot, I'm going to insist that I get a pair the way I ordered. I think they are going to get a *lot* of complaints over the next few weeks as people who custom ordered their beefrolls get surprised that they don't get what they ordered.
Wow. Very interesting. I am not a fan of that box stitching. That is a pretty major change from the example shoes they show on their site. If that is 'the way it is' from now on they should update their pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads