• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

helius0

Reaction score
Did you hear back from Katie about the sizing question? What size did you go with in the end?

I'm in the same position of trying to decide what size I am in their shell cordovan having only owned a pair of their CXL shoes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Did you hear back from Katie about the sizing question? What size did you go with in the end?

I'm in the same position of trying to decide what size I am in their shell cordovan having only owned a pair of their CXL shoes.
I believe you should order the same size wether shell or CXL. At least that is what Rancourt recommends.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you hear back from Katie about the sizing question?  What size did you go with in the end?

No, but she gets inundated with emails. I decided that when I tried on AE loafers on the 800 last in 9EEE they were wayyyy too loose, so for the ranger mocs on the 800 I went with the 9EE (same size as my CXLs), since I'd rather slightly snug on those than too big. Rangers have a larger throat for you to get your foot into and stretch them out. For my shell loafers (114 last) I went with 9.5EE since I've had nothing but unwearably small 114s in the past, and you can't make the opening larger. The Made To Fit try on pairs fit great, and probably with already a bit of stretch since they are CXL. Those are the ones I'm actually far, far more nervous about, since there are no laces to snug them up if they are too big.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sorry to say...Alden sells unlined shell cordovan shoes.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
But his rule will keep him away from the vast majority of Aldens, which is a good thing for his wallet and for keeping frustration down when Alden can't seem to make the shoe you want in the size you want anytime in the next three or four years...

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But his rule will keep him away from the vast majority of Aldens, which is a good thing for his wallet and for keeping frustration down when Alden can't seem to make the shoe you want in the size you want anytime in the next three or four years...

That three to four years is another reason I pulled the trigger on my ranger mocs. What will happen when Rancourt runs out of shell? I'm amazed they've gotten as much out as they have, but even AE is running low, and Alden has been struggling with its supply for a while. God help us if they run out of shell halfway through this deal, and people who order next week have to wait 6 months for their shoes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Agreed
nod[1].gif

helius0

Reaction score
No, but she gets inundated with emails. I decided that when I tried on AE loafers on the 800 last in 9EEE they were wayyyy too loose, so for the ranger mocs on the 800 I went with the 9EE (same size as my CXLs), since I'd rather slightly snug on those than too big. Rangers have a larger throat for you to get your foot into and stretch them out. For my shell loafers (114 last) I went with 9.5EE since I've had nothing but unwearably small 114s in the past, and you can't make the opening larger. The Made To Fit try on pairs fit great, and probably with already a bit of stretch since they are CXL. Those are the ones I'm actually far, far more nervous about, since there are no laces to snug them up if they are too big.

Thanks.

It's a little nerve racking to place orders for $500+ non-returnable shoes without knowing exactly how they'll fit...

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Thanks.

It's a little nerve racking to place orders for $500+ non-returnable shoes without knowing exactly how they'll fit...
If this is your first pair of Rancourts I would suggest the "made to fit" program. It will cost $50, but you will get a $50 gift card in return. It will take the guesswork out.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who forwarded me the link and the coupon code. An order has already been placed. :slayer:

This custom concept program could prove to be very dangerous to my bank account.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well? What are you getting?

5-eyelet boot in snuff suede with the tempest sole and a natural midsole. Nothing too exciting, but, with the 20% off coupon code it works out to a few bucks cheaper than buying one of the suede ready-to-wear makeups and I still get my choice of sole.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
5-eyelet boot in snuff suede with the tempest sole and a natural midsole. Nothing too exciting, but, with the 20% off coupon code it works out to a few bucks cheaper than buying one of the suede ready-to-wear makeups and I still get my choice of sole.
Any new shoe is exciting! Nice choice!

helius0

Reaction score
I've actually done that prior to ordering a pair of CXL ranger mocs earlier this year.

It's a great idea in theory, but given how much my CXL shoes stretched, it doesn't fill me with confidence. I guess I'll have a second data point when my orion suede rangers get here in a couple of weeks.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Did you receive an email from Rancourt with a link to the customizer tool?

Sadly not. Despite having had various discussions with Katie on a couple of occasions about custom options I havn't seemed to make it onto their email list
musicboohoo[1].gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics