RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jch1

jch1 Senior member

What's the secret to getting the mto page to actually load? I've tried different devices and browsers, but still the same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kenjiro0621

kenjiro0621 Member

Thank you for your advice!

I've sent a massage to Rancourt and explained my situation, and they suggested me to go up a 1/2 size larger than Alden sizing.

But since I am considering to buy a pair for the summer, planning to wear them without socks, I believe I should go with 6d or e or even 5.5d.

3. kenjiro0621

kenjiro0621 Member

Thank you for your advice!

I've sent a massage to Rancourt and explained my situation, and they suggested me to go up a 1/2 size larger than Alden sizing.

But since I am considering to buy a pair for the summer, planning to wear them without socks, I believe I should go with 6d or e for the rangers, 5.5d or e for the loafers.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Don't go too small. I'm afraid you might be disappointed by a 5.5. Again good luck. Hope you get the size right first time around.

5. float

float Senior member

Has no one in here purchased and presented some shots of the ranger moc on commando sole?

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I have. There are plenty of pics in the thread

7. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

Sorry about the delay, I haven't been around here much lately. A few things: I love the unlined with no socks combo. It's not harsh as far as I'm concerned, and I think the shoes tend to breathe better. They are pretty loose and I tie them tight, but they are comfortable.Unfortunately I don't have any Aldens for a reference point. I have a pair of Red Wing chukkas in 6D that fit best with thick socks, if that helps. I would definitely recommend getting the Made To Fit shoes, probably in 6D and 6.5D (they don't have a 5.5E), especially because the MTF shoes they send are Venetians. Heel slippage in the Venetians will be important to look out for, and keep in mind the Ranger heel is not as high as the Venetian, and you can can't make the Venetians tighter with laces. As a bonus complication, I tried on some Quoddy Blucher mocs today and the 5.5 was tight and the 6 was loose. What the hell?

8. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I'm looking into getting the Ranger Mocs but was wondering if someone could help me with sizing. I currently have a pair of the Chromexal pinch penny loafers in a size 9. The 9 fits perfectly (maybe even a hair too short). I bought the 9 knowing they were a hair short but thinking they would stretch, they did, slightly. The ranger mocs I intend to wear with and without socks, depending on the time of year. Would a size 9.5 be the right size if the 9 in the pinch loafer is slightly small?

Also, what do you suggest for the ranger moc, chromexal or buckaroo? I want these mocs to last as long as possible (I will obviously keep shoe trees in them). They will be worn as my everyday shoe that will get dirty. Although I love my chromexal loafers, I'm leaning towards the buckaroo for an everyday shoe. Do you agree?

9. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Regarding your sizing question I would simply shoot a mail out to Katie and/or Kyle, they should know best.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Got my Rancourt for BB boat shoes in #8 shell cordovan. They look great, and I love the style. The only problem is with size. I went with the largest they have - 12D. I am a brannock 12D on the money (tending toward the E width on my right foot). In these shoes, my big toe is right under the main seam in the front. Not touching the front of the shoe, but REALLY close to touching the front of the shoe. I am thinking that a little time on my foot and maybe a little time with a shoe tree will stretch it just enough (that's what happened with my shell Allen Edmonds penny loafers).

Any input from anyone who was concerned initially, as I am?

By the way, FrankCowperwood, they are unlined - see the pics (two stamps!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Shell usually doesn't stretch much if any. If you're worried about it. They're too $$$ to keep and never wear, ya know?

I'd wear a 12D in that Rancourt and those look awesome. I'm a brannock 12D dead on too.

12. FrankCowperwood

Darn. Those are really nice. Great photos too. It is always great to see those Horween stamps, isn't it?

In re. the sizing, is this your first pair from Rancourts? I can't remember.

I'll have to try a pair of mine on a little later, but my big toes are pretty close to the end of the shoe in the 11s I have. Maybe not under the stitching, though. I will say that the handstitching and the rubber sole make Rancourts very forgiving, but obviously you want to be completely satisfied with the fit.

13. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I would never use a shoe tree on moc toe shoes, let alone shells, unless you get one that is explicitly the correct last. Oxford-style shoes have different toe shapes, they deform it, in my opinion. I wear my moc-toe shoes with my toes very close to the tip, especially sockless. I find that shell will stretch, and more significantly, mold to you foot. So it might never stop touching your toe, but you might find that it deforms to make a nice little comfortable area for the toe. It will also get much, much softer, so that it'll feel more glove like, rather than a stiff piece of leather.

But, at the price, it might not be worth the risk, I know... I think if you like the pair, and feel the price is right, it'll likely be comfortable in the long run.

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks Gents. I think I will wear them for a bit today in the house, and make a decision. I appreciate the thoughts on shoe trees, I hadn't focused on the differences. This is my only pair of Rancourts, though I have quite a few shell cordovan shoes and have had a lot of top-siders and docksides in my life. They just strike me as slightly smaller than top-siders in the same size, which at first was concerning.

15. FrankCowperwood

I think you may find this to be the case, particularly the part about the glove-like fit. That's probably an overused analogy when it comes to shoes, but I think Rancourt construction and unlined shell do merit the description.

Here's an effort to show where my big toes are when standing in my Read boat shoes in tan bulldog in my TTS of 11D. NB the rather faint red ovals...

[​IMG]

In re shoe trees, Rancourt does sell shoe trees on their site, so I'd assume they consider them acceptable to use in their shoes, handsewn and otherwise. They don't look like anything special. Just Woodlore or similar I'd guess. I do use solid-toe shoe trees in my shell beefroll penny loafers, personally and I feel they benefit from it.

Hope these work out for you.