Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

...that would make a lot of sense. i'm not thinking clearly, apparently. lol thanks

2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Yeah, it's not exactly a blake rapid stitch in the precise sense, but it shares the important similarity, in that the sole is stitched through the insole, but it's very very similar. Sole attached to midsole attached to upper. Does anyone know if the midsole on a blake rapid stitch is reused (like it is on a goodyear welt) or is it replaced each time?

Anyway, it doesn't bug me, but that's because these are a pair of CXL shoes, and I beat the shit out of my shoes anyway. None of them stay pristine. I just wanted to put this aspect of a resole out there for public consumption. It wouldn't be a pleasant surprise for someone with shell cordovans who didn't *really* need a resole yet.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Also, just for future reference, Rancourt doesn't make any Goodyear-welted shoes.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It should be handled on a case-by-case basis. If your gait causes excessive toe wear to the point that the front of the midsole is chewed up, then replacing the midsole would be necessary from an aesthetics perspective. If you wear a hole in your sole and begin to erode the midsole, it may also need to be replaced. Automatically replacing the midsole shouldn't be done, and will unnecessarily shorten the life of the shoe because the integrity of the upper will be weakened with each subsequent stitching. This isn't as much of a problem as it is with Goodyear-welted shoes, since the midsole is stitched to a large flat surface on the bottom of the shoe while the Goodyear-welt is being stitched to the rim of an already short edge of the upper that was trimmed to size during the original manufacturing. Technically, the "genius" of the Goodyear-welt is that the welt should be left in place during resoling and only replaced when necessary. However (and unfortunately), many Goodyear-welted manufacturers automatically replace the welt during recrafting whether it is needed or not. This also unnecessarily shortens the life-span of the shoe to 4-6 resolings (rather than an indefinite amount if the welt were reused). If this type of behavior is done on Blake-rapid shoes, the same effect will eventually take place. I don't know what Rancourt's official policy is, but I would think that they would inspect the midsole and decide if it needs to be replaced or if it can simply be left intact.

5. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

6. LilyBear

LilyBear Member

First off, let me say that I love the made to fit program Rancourt does. I have always been technically a 13d, but nearish to the cusp of a narrower size. I hadn't tried narrower, before, and went ahead and tried it as one of my two size choices. Fit like a glove...now if only I had figured this out before buying my oak street navy loafers.

Anywho, so I know my size now. I can't decide what shoe would be best for me. My tastes are broad, but my current selection of shoes is narrow. I have the navy loafers I mentioned and...well not much else.

So, I want a shoe I will like (easy, pretty much any will do) but that gives some good range. My inclination is towards the natural ranger mocs with the red sole. While I think they would be perhaps a bit weak with shorts, I think the contrast would work well with jeans. Would I be better served with another color combo, perhaps? And what about ranger moc vs boat shoe vs camp moc?

Thanks from a relative newbie.

7. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I wear my ranger mocs with shorts all the time, as well as with pants. I think it's the most versatile of my moc-toe shoes. I wear it as an oxford when it's cool out (with socks), sockless with trousers or jeans, and sockless with shorts. In the winter it's great with a pair of chunky socks, in the summer it's great as a boat-shoe alternative.

Natural CXL starts light (depending on how fresh it is, it might even be a bit green), but it'll end up almost as dark as brown CXL after a while (albeit with amazing patina). I think the color of camp moc sole is a personal preference, natty cxl would be great with red or white, for sure. Another great and versatile combo is Brown CXL with dark gray, red or white. #8 really works best with white, I think, though dark gray might be good too.

Really, any choice in the tan/brown range is great with rangers.

8. LilyBear

LilyBear Member

Great point about how the natural cxl will darken as it forms a patina. Forgot about that.

From your descriptions of how you use the ranger moc, I'm more confident that it would work well for me.

9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I like those quite a bit. Too bad my size is already sold out.

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That is interesting. I'd like to see where the style goes.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Not a fan of the bulbous toe and the sole stitching looks a bit iffy on that one at least.

13. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

I tried to get them through Rancourt in shell but they won't be available to be customized until at least August.

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I'm assuming the sizing for these wingtips is like the Blake stitch boots. Anyone had any advice on this topic?

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Those would look pretty nice in a navy or green shell...