1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

After wearing them for a bit, these are really great. :) The tempest soles feel awesome, and will actually break in fairly easy. At least as easy as JR soles, definitely a nice amount of flex to them right away. The color is already starting to change with a few creases. These would be a nightmare for anyone who wants a perfect looking shoe, but for me, these are going to just look amazing in a year. I can't wait to see what these look like after I get through with them. You can figure they're going to go through the ringer. I feel bad that it means my CXL rangers are going to be quasi-retired, but they had a nice life.

So glad I got the shiny brass, I think they just look so much better with the #8 shell than the antique brass. Also, you can see how they shaved the shell. It feels like a short nap suede now, and is super comfortable to wear. Has less of that clammy feeling that wearing a lined shoe without socks can give you.

Also, noticed they didn't give me the double whip stitch. Ah well. Anyway, these are an amazing buy, can't wait to see everyone elses.

Pics: The color is most accurate in the last one, the palest red. Also, they got a bit chalky because I'm doing house work, and there is drywall powder everywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Also looking forward to what will hopefully be a lot of high quality pics. How long are the laces that they sent?

Edit: nvm. Nice pics!

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Those look great. I love the color of Rancourt #8. These shoes are meant to have some wear on them. You are right about that. Great photos.

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Out of curiosity, is the shaving of the shell cordovan normal for Rancourt with their Rangers? Anyone else have experience with whether they've been doing that normally for them? I doubt it affects durability, but it occurs to me that I don't really know one way or another. I don't mind it, and it's actually incredibly comfortable, but curious others' experiences.

5. gmmiddle

gmmiddle Well-Known Member

What would one look for to know it was shaved?

6. calidist

calidist Senior member

As previously requested, bitter chocolate repello rangers, antique brass eyelets, brown midsole, black christy soles (plus stray minion looking for a good home):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Is it a little bit nappy? Like how CXL feels on the inside (or suede feels?) Or is it a smooth surface that almost feels like the grain of a piece of leather.

And those bitter suedes are gorgeous.

8. jimney

jimney Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the Buckaroo or "Latigo Glace" offered on the custom shoes?

9. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I didn't see any shaving for my rangers.
    I could clearly see the horween mark inside the shoes

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I have a pair in the Latigo Glace that are (finally) on their way to me. I'll post some photos and my thoughts when the arrive in the next few days.

11. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

Katie essentially said the same thing - no big deal, just glue it down.

I'm somewhat of a klutz, so attempting to fix this myself would probably only end in tears. I'm trying to see if she'll send me a label to get these back, otherwise I'm going to have to find a local cobbler to do it. Very annoying on a new pair of shoes.

12. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

You must be my evil twin - I ordered a pair of natural/caramel shell rangers, and have been wishing that I'd ordered them in #8...

13. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Haha, well, both are pretty awesome. I'm happy with the shade of #8 I got, it's almost the color that natural shell darkens to.

They're a bit dry though, so I'm going to have to condition them tonight. It's amazing how different they feel from my boots/watch strap which are much, much more nourished. I can't remember how my watch strap came, that might be just absorbing oils from my skin. I stood outside this morning in the grass, and the rangers absorbed the dew and got welted instantly, which isn't really how shell should small drops of water. I hope VSC does the trick, I don't want to have to oil these like I had to do to my "sat in a warehouse for 2 years, got super dry" boots.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Gorgeous. Those look extremely comfortable.

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I have VSC and Reno and use them both. Both good products. However, I find that the Saphir Cordovan Cream infuses moisture like no other. I used the neutral on my Rancourt Blake Boots, so as not to dye the white stitching brown.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Yes.

It is very good for adding moisture to "dryer" shell, like Rancourts can be. Some people don't like what it does to Alden shell, because they feel it makes it 'too moist'.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thanks. Do you use this only to nourish the shell?

19. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Nick Horween and Kyle Rancourt both say to use VSC. Of course, there are people who think Saphir is the way to go, but it is like 10x more expensive than VSC -- 1 Quart of VSC is the same price as 2 ounces of most Saphir products.

If you have properly-worn, beat up shell, it doesn't matter quite as much which you use, so it depends on how much you need to use. I use VSC all the time on my shoes, because of the shit I put them through, so I need it to be less expensive. I find that it infuses quite enough moisture if you use it as a full-on conditioner rather than just as a polish.

Of course, my 744s are the kings of durable treatment. Nothing adds moisture or thickness to shells than sno-seal and obenauf's leather oil. Of course, they are also a dark espresso color rather than the light brown they started at, so there is that to consider.

20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I use VSC more often than anything. The Saphir Cordovan Cream added moisture to my Espresso Rancourts well in excess of what VSC had been doing for them. I have both Alden Paste Wax and the Saphir Cordovan Cream in Black, Color 8 and Brown. (Also have the Saphir in Neutral) I've used the Brown Saphir on a pair of Cigar LHS that I have that were dry for Alden shell. I have used Black Paste Wax on my Black LHS. Haven't used anything on my Color 8 LHS. I have other shell Aldens that have gotten nothing. I usually try to use nothing or VSC, but there are instances when, IMO, a pair of shell shoes can benefit from the blast of moisture that the Saphir Cordovan Cream provides. Its definitely not something that I would use regularly. I agree with Whadab, that VSC is appropriate for most cases, however, if you have some shell that is especially dry, the Saphir is what I recommend. I have no experience with the other products that Whadab mentions, so I can't compare. VSC/Reno and Cordovan Cream are different types of products due to their ingredients. At the very least, Reno/VSC contain turpentine, Cordovan Cream contains Neats Foot Oil. I'm sure there are other differences as well, but none of them provide a full list of ingredients.