1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Great offer. Thanks.

I'll throw a question out there for you: Can/will Rancourt do a handsewn high boot?

I'm thinking maybe 8 eyelets instead of the 5 they show on their site.

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Please!

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

And I would add offering a perforated captoe in addition to the straight cap.

4. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

A high boot could be nice from these guys though they'd have to cut new die for the style to elongate the plug and the quarters. my guess is it would be more of an undertaking than one would expect. even adding a style that is closely related to another requires a big investment in cutting die. so long story short; it's doable, but its not as easy as just adding 3 inches to a pattern. there's always hurdles!

I was actually thinking about the possibility of a medallion cap type shoe. Would look good next to the brogue on our shoe bar (we've picked one up from Cheaney for this season).

Ha. That's my vote too. I've already instructed my coworkers to make sure they specify "no box stitch" on loafer orders seeing as our samples are originals and do not have it.

5. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Just got off of reddit, trying to educate someone who said that they'd love a pair of Rancourt rangers, but can't bring themselves to pay $230 when they can get another brand for <$100.

So painful. I really hope that in 20-30 years there are still companies making these shoes (at least one of Rancourt, Quoddy and Highland Shoe Co. need to be in business). Maybe that's why I just bought my two pairs of shells, so that I'll know I can have them for the next 50 years (I plan on wearing these into my grave... I guess that might hurt business)

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Does Rancourt make the Eastland made in Maine shoes, as I've seen suggested? If so, Eastland offers the Wildwood, which is a 7-eyelet high boot.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. green garden

green garden Senior member

I recently put in an MTO order for almost exactly same pair. Only difference with my pair is I chose blink eyelet and natural LH crepe sole.

8. vestbash

vestbash Senior member

Yes, Rancourt does make the Eastland MIM lane. I own a pair of Wildwoods in peanut suede, great boots.

9. green garden

green garden Senior member

I'd like to see if they're going to offer the Blake shoe in a straightip cap or plaintoe.

10. jah786

jah786 Senior member

I couldn't resist the discount and purchased navy shell beefrolls with natural midsole and RLH honey soles, pinking on the tongue, and NO BOX STITCHING. Here is where I need SF help - I asked for orange lining. There is a 4 week wait right now for new shell from Horween, so I can change it.

Does anyone have photos of a lining other than tan deerskin? I was annoyed that the only options were black, tan, and nothing. I'm just worried now that I took it one step too far.

[​IMG]

11. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

received an email from Katie regarding the box stitching and the instruction has been added to the production order. great customer service, they must have been busy with the combination of the custom order widget AND the discount - and on top of all that you have a design alteration that has caused some people (myself included) to freak out. [​IMG]

A+ Class Service from Rancourt.

12. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

4 week lead time on new shell? And that's possibly a conservative estimate, I bet. Well, now I wonder whether my new pair of beefrolls are going to cut the line, or if I'll wait. Either is fine, though I think we all know which I'd prefer.

I wonder if they realized just how much incentive the 20% discount was going to give, that we drained their entire supply of shell.

Also, I kind of feel bad for them that they are getting inundated with backlash on the box stitch, though of course they shouldn't have just changed something like that unannounced. I'm sure a lot of the people who really don't want it would never have even noticed it until pointed out.

SF should send Katie a bottle of champagne or something as thanks for putting up with all of us during this custom shoe order craze. She's a trooper, and so patient dealing with crazy people like me on the phone. God, she must think we're all crazy. My girlfriend is also a trooper, she knows I'm crazy when it comes to shoes.

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I have navy shell beefrolls but mine are unlined. I think the orange lining with yours would look pretty sharp. It may be "out there" by the standards of many folks but you have to remember that for the most part, only you will see the lining (unless somebody else is really looking closely at your shoes and how they flex when you walk). I look at interesting linings in my own clothing or footwear as something that is there to please/amuse me.

14. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Just a simple question gents.

I use shoe trees on all my shoes with the exception of my Quoddy's because
    a) i like the beaten up look - and felt that trees might interfere with the whole "adjust to fit your foot" thing that they have going on.
    and
    b) i was a little concerned about CXL stretching (my CXL boots have stretchd out quite a bit) and I really want to avoid stretching because i cannot stand heel slipping.

Having ordered some CXL loafers I now am heeing and hawing about buying trees.

Do you all use trees in CXL loafers? Have you had any stretch problems?

As an aside. I have a stack of trees styled like the pic below. I am not imagining that there is anything untoward about using these as opposed to the rochester/woodlore/alden/rancourt shaped ones? This question will also be relevant regarding the below trees as appropriate for Alden shell Indys (to be delivered) ... I might be over-thinking this [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I often wonder if Katie thinks us internet shoe buyers are a bunch of wierdos. My wife's name is Katie but I email Katie at Rancourt so much more often than my own wife that when I just type the first name into the to line of a new email, it pops up with Katie Grise as the first option before my own wife, even though my wife's last name and email address both are higher up alphabetically. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Without a doubt...

17. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Shoe trees are so antithetical to what you want with Maine-style shoes. Beaten up and patina'd is the way to go. People who want a pristine pair of loafers/boat shoes/rangers should get a different kind of shoe, really. I know that at the price, people want something to stay looking nice for a long time, but still... not with these shoes. But it sounds like you currently default to no shoe trees, so I'd say stick with that.

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I keep shoes trees in all 5 pairs of my Rancourts including the shell ones...they are Rancourt trees and the type of tree varies based off of the material of the shoe. I actually love the shell tree that I got from them

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I don't put trees in my Rancourts. I like to keep my foot shape in there!

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Say what now? Shell tree??